Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey as Joel and Ellie in upcoming Last of Us show.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
And...he is too old now. Given that its gonna be little girl Ellie with Joel.
Ramsey's already seventeen, so by the time the shoot starts she'll most likely be an eighteen year old playing a fourteen year old. This will probably make it easier to continue the series after the four year time jump from the first to the second game, if the show gets picked up for multiple seasons.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Wait wasn't Elie literally based off of Ellen Page at the time? Why not just get him to play the role?
Ellie was never based on Elliot page, at least not officially. But Elliot believed it was, and wasn't exactly happy.

At one point Elliot even called out Naughty Dog "I guess I should be flattered that they ripped off my likeness, but I am actually acting in a video game called Beyond Two Souls, so it was not appreciated." and Naughty Dog responded with the usual "didn't realise" etc, and their redesign of Ellie from this to this, was a "complete coincidence".

That said, even if Elliot Page wasn't now 34 years old - ie, way too old to play a 14 year old girl, I highly doubt he would want to play a role that he believes/believed was ripped off of their likeness. Not to mention the whole "is a man" thing.

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Really happy with both of these castings.

I've really enjoyed Pedro in everything that he has been in, and I really enjoyed Bella in Game of Thrones.

Sure, Pedro isn't exactly a 1/1 match for Joel visually, but that is honestly the least of my concerns. Pedro has great acting chops, and im excited to see him in this show.

Also curious to see how far this show goes in the stories timeline - ie, if it ever gets into TLoU2, but I guess only time will tell.

Hopefully this will be the first actually good videogame adaption, and im sure its fairly generic "zombie apocalypse" premise will help it along. But im sure I've said similar things about all of the other (eventually terrible) adaptions.

We'll see.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
At one point Elliot even called out Naughty Dog "I guess I should be flattered that they ripped off my likeness, but I am actually acting in a video game called Beyond Two Souls, so it was not appreciated." and Naughty Dog responded with the usual "didn't realise" etc, and their redesign of Ellie from this to this, was a "complete coincidence".
You'd think they could find some real low-profile person who happened to look similar who agree to have the look officially based off them, and thus avoid the issue.

laggyteabag

Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
You'd think they could find some real low-profile person who happened to look similar who agree to have the look officially based off them, and thus avoid the issue.
If Ellie was an adult, I could see the benefit, but seeing as Ellie was again, 14 years old, what parent/guardian would sign their daughter up for a role, that could see her being repeatedly brutally/graphically murdered by zombies/bandits, and have literal death montages uploaded onto YouTube? Oh, and also Rule 34, I guess.

Not to mention that you could just avoid paying someone for the likeness, and avoid all of the above issues, when you just make someone up. Games have been doing it for years, and will likely continue to do it for many more.

Im not quite sure what the situation really was for Ellie, and The Last of Us, but they definitely opted for the latter option, following her redesign.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
If Ellie was an adult, I could see the benefit, but seeing as Ellie was again, 14 years old, what parent/guardian would sign their daughter up for a role, that could see her being repeatedly brutally/graphically murdered by zombies/bandits, and have literal death montages uploaded onto YouTube? Oh, and also Rule 34, I guess.
You would be shocked what the parents of child actors will sign their children up for. Look at child beauty pageants and all the happy mothers teaching their little toddlers how to twerk if it means she gets more attention.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Nothing really, apart from it flying in the face of the serious, grounded story it was trying to convey. The one saving grace of this game are the fun and intense stealth action playgrounds.
The set pieces really ramped up intensity too, like the one right before the theater, and the truck ride in particular. The better music helped. Would've been better if they respected the importance of pacing and scrapped most of the scavenging through building after building for crafting crap. Hopefully ND works on something less bloated and more light hearted next.

As for the film's casting, makeup and hair dressers can do wonders on performers who might not seem like the most natural fit. I haven't heard Pedro speak much, but Joel won't seem like Joel without the deeper voice. Also, Bella I've only heard with her GoT accent, but guessing she'll have the required range for something more American. She has the look and build down.

Last edited: