Pee-Wee Herman is Going to Play the Penguin's Dad (Again)

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
Pee-Wee Herman is Going to Play the Penguin's Dad (Again)

Paul Reubens, aka Pee-Wee Herman, is set to reprise the role of Tucker Cobblepot, father of Batman villain Penguin, on Gotham this season.

It was inspired casting once - why not do it again? Paul Reubens, better known as Pee-Wee Herman, is going to reprise the role of Penguin's father on Gotham in season two. Reubens first played Tucker Cobblepot in the 1992 film Batman Returns.

"He will be showing up very soon [http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/gotham-paul-reubens-penguin-father-season-2-1201615625/]," said Penguin actor Robin Lord Taylor. Then he geeked out a bit: "Pee-Wee Herman is playing my dad! What the hell? Oh my god!"

In Tim Burton's film, the character came across as something of a lunatic disciplinarian. It's likely that quality remains, but Gotham has made a habit of turning well-known characters upside-down [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142084-Foxs-Gotham-Season-2-Teaser-Brings-Joker-To-Batman-Prequel#&gid=gallery_4578&pid=1]. Certainly, Reubens is a better fit for the father of Taylor than Danny DeVito - but who knows what living an entire life in the sewer, eating fish, will do to your figure.

This is all fantastic, of course. My fan-service alarm is buzzing - maybe more so than if DeVito himself was playing daddy Penguin. "They call me... Puffin". Or he could be the Toll Troll...

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/gotham-paul-reubens-penguin-father-season-2-1201615625/]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I hope he gifts his son a red bike and then hires a bunch of clowns to disembowel it right in front of him.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I remember first seeing Robin Lord Taylor in the film Accepted as a very exaggerated ADHD college dropout. It is a unique bound to make for the penguin role. Though watching that film now, it gives off an insufferably smug vibe that I never noticed before. Weird.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
What. How have I never noticed that was Reubens playing Penguin's father? I've seen that movie at least a dozen times. o_O

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Gotham should bring back more actors.

Like Billy Dee Williams as the District Attorney, since the current Dent is only an ADA.
Also, we need Christopher Walken because... Christopher Walken.

Randomvirus

Aug 12, 2009
Holy fuck was my mind just blown, because I never knew that was ol' Spankmaster himself, Peter or Paul or whatever Reubens.

And I just watched that movie like 6 months ago.

Jan 12, 2012
Veldie said:
Penguin and Nygma are the main reasons to watch Gotham. the show excels with its villains
Really only with those two. I haven't warmed to the billionaire guy or his sister, and I'm disappointed in how Barbara seems to have settled into a 'bisexual psycho' caricature.

That guy who killed people with balloons, though, he was great; for a show whose ad campaigns talk about how Gotham is a mad place, they seem leery to embrace the kind of ripped-from-the-comics insanity that works with Penguin and Nygma.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I liked their take on the Joker
even though he wasn't actually THE Joker, but Joker Beta
. His madness was infectious and the actor borrowed little bits from all the prior iterations while still making his take unique. And Barbara got to play Harley for him in the last Joker ep. That was cool. Seeing Penguin getting all reactionary as his rule over Gotham is undermined will be fun to watch - I wonder if daddy approves.
piscian said:
Too bad even ruebens couldn't save this of pile shit on screen.
Mr.Mattress said:
That's pretty cool, but I don't watch Gotham.
Haters gonna hate.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Dagra Dai MC. VSO. said:
Remus said:
Dagra Dai MC. VSO. said:
THE LONG SNIP
Wow, thoughtful, enthralling, dismissive, derivative, maybe a little passive aggressive. If this wasn't such a common meme practically copy-pasted from Yahoo, I'd find it insulting. As is, it only rises to the level of trollface. In order to break the chain of derailment that would likely follow, I'll only reiterate that responding to a thread about a topic simply by saying you hate the thing being discussed might be a sign of deep-seated issues, as one must feel a need to spread their hatred of a thing to others. The typical response would be "If you don't like it, why respond?" More specifically, I would ask, "Why do you feel the desire to respond to a thing online that you hate? Are there underlying, perhaps familial, problems that subconsciously push you toward using the internet as an outlet to air your grievances? Do acts of internet aggression make you feel better or only enrage you further? How are you feeling right now?"
Whoa. I was just making a harmless joke. o_O
A joke?

A joke???????????????

On the internet?

The bloody cheek of it all!

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Dagra Dai MC. VSO. said:
anthony87 said:
Dagra Dai MC. VSO. said:
Remus said:
Dagra Dai MC. VSO. said:
THE LONG SNIP
Wow, thoughtful, enthralling, dismissive, derivative, maybe a little passive aggressive. If this wasn't such a common meme practically copy-pasted from Yahoo, I'd find it insulting. As is, it only rises to the level of trollface. In order to break the chain of derailment that would likely follow, I'll only reiterate that responding to a thread about a topic simply by saying you hate the thing being discussed might be a sign of deep-seated issues, as one must feel a need to spread their hatred of a thing to others. The typical response would be "If you don't like it, why respond?" More specifically, I would ask, "Why do you feel the desire to respond to a thing online that you hate? Are there underlying, perhaps familial, problems that subconsciously push you toward using the internet as an outlet to air your grievances? Do acts of internet aggression make you feel better or only enrage you further? How are you feeling right now?"
Whoa. I was just making a harmless joke. o_O
A joke?

A joke???????????????

On the internet?

The bloody cheek of it all!
What was I thinking?!

Oh no, you won't get off that easily.

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
Whoa, wait, what?

I never knew he was in Batman Returns.

As the Penguin's father no less

And that guy who played the beta version of the Joker I just liked. The way he just switched from innocent man (Waaahhh, my mother is dead,"to villain crazy (Yeah, I killed her so freaking what,"was so fast it gave me chills.