Penny Arcade Giving $10k to Worthy Student

Feb 13, 2008
Penny Arcade Giving $10k to Worthy Student

Get your applications in quick: Gabe and Tycho may just paying for you to make a difference in the gaming industry.

Since 2008, the Penny Arcade Scholarship has been donated to the person who the comic-writing duo feels has the most potential to positively impact the game industry. It's no small sum either - $10,000 to be precise.

To have a chance at the booty for this academic year, you need to be able to fit into the following guidelines:

1. Must be a full-time student attending an accredited college or university in the United States during the 2009-2010 academic school year (currently enrolled in a program; high school seniors are not eligible).

2. Must intend to enter the game industry in some capacity

3. Major: may be in any field

4. GPA: 3.3 minimum on a 4.0 scale

5. Each award is for one year only. Winners may not re-apply for subsequent Penny Arcade Scholarships.

6. Any number of students from an institution may apply.

You'll also need a two-page essay on what you intend to contribute to the gaming industry, as well as letters of recommendation and current academic transcripts.

More details can be found here [http://www.penny-arcade.com/pas/], so what are you waiting for?

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
I'm ruled out from number 1. I'm not in college right now, and I won't be able to go back for quite some time.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Kind of makes me with I was in school and still had any sort of hope of making any of my life aspirations happen.

But having been crushed under the dual boot heels of financial responsibility and general adulthood, I've given up any hope of becoming a game designer, writer or anything else I'd actually enjoy doing.

Galaxy613

Apr 6, 2008
Number 4 rules me out. I only have a GPA of 3.0 right now >.> Hoping to boost it some more at the end of this semester.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Tenmar said:
Ugh that GPA requirement is a kick in the....anyway it is a nice reward but having GPA really disqualifies a lot of people to the point that supports the structure that winners stay winners because they cut the bottom out from even having a chance.

For those who have experienced the american educational system it is REALLY hard to increase that GPA, never mind keeping the GPA at those levels.
The funny thing is, that the people who have that kind of GPA, don't need this money anyway.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Tenmar said:
Ugh that GPA requirement is a kick in the....anyway it is a nice reward but having GPA really disqualifies a lot of people to the point that supports the structure that winners stay winners because they cut the bottom out from even having a chance.

For those who have experienced the american educational system it is REALLY hard to increase that GPA, never mind keeping the GPA at those levels.
This is true if you are getting any kind of real degree.

I don't actually meet the GPA requirement if you only count my post-transfer GPA, but pre and post... Hrmmm... I think I'll apply anyway.