Penny Arcade starts a Kickstarter for no good reason

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
Phasmal said:
Fair enough, but if they wanted to get rid of ads and to continue supporting it then paying is a lot better than just denying the company they like money from their custom.

surg3n said:
Ahh, so our attention isn't enough anymore, it's not enough to view the content and watch the ad's and buy the games - now the site is being held to ransom.
Yeah, I heard asking for non-mandatory donations is the same thing as running into your house, putting a gun to your families head and asking you for your life savings! The monsters

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
votemarvel said:
hazabaza1 said:
So, a quick trip onto the Penny-Arcade website shows me a bunch of adverts... about Penny Arcade.
Lulwut?
This seems kind of pointless.
I turned off my ad-block plug-in and you're completely right. Every advert on Penny-Arcade is for Penny-Arcade products?

So they have a Kickstarter in order to cover the loss they may get from not advertising their own products?
Not true, while they do have a lot of advertisements for their own products not all of the ads are. Although it is possible to load a page and just so happen to have all the advertisements be Penny Arcade related.

For example there was both an add for HeroEngine and Magic the Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers when I visited the site.

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
Double Post: Captchas are apparently lying to me when they say I was incorrect and posting anyway =/

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Phasmal said:
*looks around to see if anyone else will say it*
No?
Okay.
Where are the death threats and the rape threats and the people tearing their hair out with rage?
When I saw the thread, I thought they'd be doing something along those lines, as a "parody".

Still, you have someone high profile criticisng them over this, then we might see it.

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
"PLEDGE $7,500 OR MORE
1 BACKER ? Limited Reward (1 of 2 remaining)
Intern at Penny Arcade for a day! You'll be put to real work under the supervision of Khoo. (you will need to arrange travel)"

Who would pay 7.5k to do "real work" for a day?

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
Well lets see,
"Advertising paid for rent, wages, health insurance, utilities, all the normal stuff that you pay for when you have fourteen souls working together. That money keeps the lights on while we do the things people expect from us: thrice weekly content drops, two annual shows, the scholarships, Child's Play, etc. "
I have to say not unreasonable, if you use Adblock you do stop giving them ad revenue, so asking for money and keeping this more as a donation item then a mandatory thing seems okay, besides if it fails, they pay the money back, and they just keep the ads.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Sixcess said:
I found this rather telling

Is this indefinite / what happens after a year / are you going to ask again?

This is for a period of 1 year. From January 1, 2013 to December 31, 2013. We will run the fundraiser again, around this time next year.
And if you read it closely, ALL of Penny Arcade ad-free will cost $999,999. Seriously - they are asking for a million freaking dollars. For a year. One year. That's insane.

I'm just wondering how deep the Kickstarter trough is. With so many people leaping onto this and chasing the 'nerd dollar' the bubble's got to burst.
This amount is probably to cover what they make in a year from advertising and probably not even that. Penny arcade advertising is very valuable and people pay a lot of money for that ad space.

That said, I don't see what the big problem is. Ads are not a big deal, especially how PA does them. They don't get in the way and they never have stupid music or sound effects. I don't get why you would care if they go away or not.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
ehh, its their money, let them do what they want.

but you ask for opinion so i will tell you mine: its friggin stupid. then again, its their money so go back to my first point.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
I don't have any problem with them doing a kickstarter to remove ads from their site, but I do think the amount they're asking for is a lot. I don't go to Penny arcade so it could be that they actually pull that much, but IDK. Also the other thing that kinda bugged me were the rewards. They seem all messed up. Some of the higher up rewards are just worse than ones way lower (looking at you twitter rewards).

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
Seems like they need money and/or wanting to point out how people will throw money at something the like if they think they're getting something out of it. Also, the dangers of Kickstarter.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Seems legit. No advertising would mean not having to serve any corporate masters save for their own.

The rest of you being pissy about it really shouldn't. They aren't scamming anybody, it's very plainly what they're doing and if it doesn't work things remain as is.

Really if one is pissed off at this, one is being a self-entitled dickhead me thinks.

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
I'm mildly amused and not sure how serious to take it, since they've been mildly critical of the Kickstarter model in the past:

I'm not sure whether this is genuine, or them making a point. Seems genuine though.

They seem to be pretty up-front about what they're doing though, and they themselves seem to admit that it's no big deal if it doesn't go anywhere, since they'll be fine. Perhaps it seems needless, but not particularly deceptive, which is generally the only time I have much of a problem with a Kickstarter project.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
I would call this an abject abuse of what Kickstarter is intended to do, trolling or no. Penny Arcade is already more than established and in no need of alms.

But hey, this is Holkins and Krahulik we're talking about. Arrogance is their game, and I shouldn't really be surprised.

SmilingWorlock

Knowledge is power.
Oct 22, 2010
Phasmal said:
I dont use adblock, because my computer has a hissy fit if I try to do anything more intense than a game of solitaire.
I'm just saying if it pissed someone off so much they were willing to pay to get rid of it, adblock would be easier.
I think there are actually people willing to PAY with MONEY for their entertainment and to support people they like. (Doesn't LRR get something for checkpoint? I sure want to support them)

Also, a million dollars sounds much, but pay 20 people 50000 a year and you're out of money. And they sure need money for servers and stuff. Also buying content (again, LRR). Also, they probaly have an office to maintain, buisness travels etc.

Edit: Okay, I actually read the page now, and PATV is not included.