People are being WAY too critical of The Elder Scrolls Online!

MephistosCousin

Dec 4, 2011
This video is giving a LOT of negative feelings this games way...and honestly guys I gotta say it's undeserved.

Give the guys a freaking break this is like one of the first Beta's they've had, they still have MONTHS of development to go through to fix up details on animations. AND what is with this crap being thrown against the bad graphics? OF COURSE IT IS! it's early beta guys...what mmo has it's Graphics cranked to eleven during it's early beta's?

~Mudcrab taking way too long to kill? Beta
~Animations aren't good enough? Beta
~Graphics are bad? Beta
~Where is all the cool stuff they promised? grr we got lied too! Uhh...no it's beta its just the first 20 minutes of the beta of a MMO...what MMO has a super cool/exciting first 20 minutes?
~Looks like a WoW clone? uhh...how so? I mean I can tell they come from the same genre but it seems to look like it's more related to Guild Wars 2 with a bit of DDO thrown in for good measure (not that stealing/borrowing/whatever is any better when taken from those games)

And another thing that seems to be repeated some more...this game is ONLY being published and directed by Bethesda...they are not making it. That means that this MMO is NOT going to destroy TES if it fails or in ANY way impede on the next one coming out. (or Skyrim expansion)

Come on guys...at least let the game come out before tearing it a new hole...if it's bad i'll be right there with you guys tearing it apart and gnawing on the poor beast's carcass. But give them some credit and at least be SLIGHTLY optimistic for the game or at least wish them the best of luck...wouldn't you rather this game be GOOD or at least decent?

Give it a chance is all I ask.

MephistosCousin

Dec 4, 2011
Sadly following the giant list of MMO's that i've looked forward too that sucked is far larger then I'd like...so in all honestly this game is probably doomed to failure JUST because it's an MMO and not WoW

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well if you want to live in a dream world where everything is perfect then by all means tuck yourself in and avoid the outside world, but when outside your happy bubble do expect the harsh reality to cross your path at some point.

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
Mr.K. said:
Well if you want to live in a dream world where everything is perfect then by all means tuck yourself in and avoid the outside world, but when outside your happy bubble do expect the harsh reality to cross your path at some point.
Interesting you come out with this sarcasm, as the same could be said to people that complain about pretty much anything they can complain about.

Yes, things aren't perfect and I'm not saying that you shouldn't point out imperfections, but people seem to like judging things based off a small snapshot.

Imagine being able to watch a movie before it's gone through post-production (so all you're seeing is the raw footage). Would you then complain about how unfinished it looks or would you realise that it's in an unfinished state? Now imagine you've only seen the first 2 minutes of raw footage. Would you say it's rational to judge the whole thing as a pile of crap?

No. You wouldn't. Or shouldn't. So why is this acceptable for an MMO?

The sad fact about the internet is that it gives people the ability to complain to their hearts content. Not just complain, but pre-judge based on snippets of information.

TL;DR: Don't judge something until the whole thing is able to be judged - Whether you experience it to judge it or take the words of others.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Mr.K. said:
This amuses me, you guys that are ripping the game apart seem to do so with a blind hatred that has no basis in reality, harsh or not.

I mean, I've seen people calling it a WoW clone and it really really doesn't look like one to me, a long-time MMO gamer; SWTOR is a WoW Clone, ESO is not.

Personally I am actually a skeptic of the game and the video did nothing for me since they guy essentially faffed about for 20 minutes and didn't really give us any sort of insight into the game proper.

Why not, instead of being massively and unrealistically pessimistic, wait to play the game for yourself or see some decent quality gameplay videos before making a decision on it.

Grape_Bullion

Mar 8, 2012
Point and click to do something from a third person camera in a fantasy setting= WoW clone. It's getting shit because it's not what a lot of people expected an ES MMO to be. They see it as a money grab to get on the MMO bubble before it bursts (which it did forever ago). Personally I'm not going to play it so I really have no say in how it looks or how good or bad it might be. It is disappointing however to see them put resources into a project that, most likely is going to flop harder than TOR.

felbot

May 11, 2011
oh how I wished I had that image right now.

anyway on topic, no you can't be to critical, even if its a beta, in fact if its a beta then you should be even more critical of the game, that's the point of a beta to get criticism back to improve the game.

AndrewF022

Jan 23, 2010
I think people are just in being highly skeptical, especially considering the last two big huge franchises that got the MMO treatment (Final Fantasy and Star Wars) turned out to have a lot of problems, and in the case of FFXIV, near on broken. Especially since (as far as I am aware...) Elder Scrolls Online will be subscription based as well.

That said, if they dropped the subscription model, and released it a la Guild Wars, Defiance or The Secret World I would probably check it out, knowing even if it was broken at launch (which is probably will be haha) I would be able to come back to it later, without forking over more money, once they solve any launch issues.

Obviously F2P without box retail would be ideal, but I'm guessing they've sunk to much money into it at this point to get away with that.

Either way, yea I think the hatred is ridiculous based off what we've seen/heard and not yet played in it's full release form... but I am sure as shit skeptical about it.

Newtonyd

Apr 30, 2011
Eh, I've been through a lot of betas for a lot of MMOs, and I have to say, if you don't like the beta odds are the release isn't going to be much different. I've very rarely seen huge changes to fix that kind of thing over a few months.

Odds are, ESO is gonna flop. I hope it flops hard enough for other MMO developers to understand that they need to change the way they approach MMOs if they want a chance to compete.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Grape_Bullion said:
Point and click to do something from a third person camera in a fantasy setting= WoW clone. It's getting shit because it's not what a lot of people expected an ES MMO to be. They see it as a money grab to get on the MMO bubble before it bursts (which it did forever ago). Personally I'm not going to play it so I really have no say in how it looks or how good or bad it might be. It is disappointing however to see them put resources into a project that, most likely is going to flop harder than TOR.
This just in:
Witcher 2, Guild Wars 2, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls 2 are all WoW clones.

Also Everquest.

Alternatively your definition of WoW clone is WAY off.

Grape_Bullion

Mar 8, 2012
Ickorus said:
This just in:
Witcher 2, Guild Wars 2, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls 2 are all WoW clones.

Also Everquest.

Demon's Souls/Dark Soul's isn't point and click. Dark Souls 2 isn't even out yet. Witcher 2 doesn't have multiplayer. Guild Wars 2 IS a WoW clone. Everquest came out first, you could make the argument that WoW is a Everquest clone if you really wanted. I figured it went without saying that I was talking about MMO's but I guess not.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Taking a much loved single player franchise and forcing it into an MMO framework is doomed to failure.

But Warcraft started as an RTS, I hear you say. Well, true enough, but WoW is a one-off. ESO isn't the next WoW. ESO is the next SWTOR, if it's lucky. If a hugely expensive game with one of the most recognised IPs in the world behind it couldn't maintain subscriptions for even a year then there's no way this will.

At least Bioware were able to somewhat replicate the KOTOR experience - albeit at the cost of making TOR feel very very single-player-ish. ESO will NOT be able to offer anything close to the sandboxy goodness of Skyrim, and if I'm wrong about that I will eat my laptop.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
People said the same thing about The Old Republic. "You can't criticize the visuals, it's a beta!". Now look at the game.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Grape_Bullion said:
Ickorus said:
This just in:

Also Everquest.

Demon's Souls/Dark Soul's isn't point and click. Dark Souls 2 isn't even out yet. Witcher 2 doesn't have multiplayer. Guild Wars 2 IS a WoW clone. Everquest came out first, you could make the argument that WoW is a Everquest clone if you really wanted. I figured it went without saying that I was talking about MMO's but I guess not.
GW2 isn't point and click.

Grape_Bullion

Mar 8, 2012
endtherapture said:
Before we go deeper, I'm just going to say I played maybe an hour of GW2 and WoW combined, so that's where my opinion comes from. In GW2 you can WADS out of the way sometimes and sort of clumsily aim. Keys 1-10 do stuff. Besides that? You click bad guys to start hitting, you click powers to make them go. On a scale of 1-That's a WoW clone, that's a WoW clone. It may be more in depth as it goes on, but those are base mechanics and they're the same as any other generic MMO that's come out in the past forever.

Part of me thinks Bethesda heard people talking about wanting multiplayer in Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind and how much they would like it. But instead of realizing that people just want multiplayer with the normal ES mechanics, that meant giving us a generic looking MMO.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Grape_Bullion said:
endtherapture said:
Before we go deeper, I'm just going to say I played maybe an hour of GW2 and WoW combined, so that's where my opinion comes from. In GW2 you can WADS out of the way sometimes and sort of clumsily aim. Keys 1-10 do stuff. Besides that? You click bad guys to start hitting, you click powers to make them go. On a scale of 1-That's a WoW clone, that's a WoW clone. It may be more in depth as it goes on, but those are base mechanics and they're the same as any other generic MMO that's come out in the past forever.

Part of me thinks Bethesda heard people talking about wanting multiplayer in Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind and how much they would like it. But instead of realizing that people just want multiplayer with the normal ES mechanics, that meant giving us a generic looking MMO.
The combat system is more timing based, something like Kingdoms of Amalur, in fact it can be played entirely with a game pad and is definitely not a "giant quickbar based" combat system like WoW.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Here is why I'm critical of TES:O.

It's a formulaic playing-it-safe theme park MMO that looks functionally dissimilar from other, better titles. It's been done to death, and they're doing it a little more because they are too cowardly to try something new and exciting.

It's not taking any risks and not bringing anything new to the table. It looks every bit like a cash-in attempt to break into a market the series isn't really designed for, built by a team that had nothing to do with what made the TES games great in the first place.

Bioware couldn't do it with Star Wars, one of the most recognizable franchises in human history. You think TES can do it? Dream on.

The theme park MMO model is dead. GW2 perfected it as much as they could, but it's a dead game design. TES:O clearly just doesn't know it yet.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Grape_Bullion said:
Ickorus said:
This just in:

Also Everquest.

The issue I have with you is that you're saying games are a WoW clone based ENTIRELY off of the control scheme.

That is beyond silly, you might as well call every FPS a CoD clone or every hack n slash a GoW clone.

A WoW clone in actual fact is a game that basically carbon-copies WoW with a graphical upgrade, different story/setting, and some different content.

I'd say ESO takes more notes from GW2 than WoW and even then they have their own spin on stuff like the combat system and PvP.

Busard

Nov 17, 2009
The "it's just beta" excuse isn't valid since a few years now. And ESPECIALLY after the TOR fiasco and several, if not all of the big budget mmos thta came out.

Beta isn't a magic word that shields from criticism and makes everything okay once the game is released. You can see some core flaws in the design, without even looking at the recently leaked video.

machblast

Apr 2, 2010
Busard said:
The "it's just beta" excuse isn't valid since a few years now. And ESPECIALLY after the TOR fiasco and several, if not all of the big budget mmos thta came out.

Beta isn't a magic word that shields from criticism and makes everything okay once the game is released. You can see some core flaws in the design, without even looking at the recently leaked video.
This. On top of that, since the Elder Scrolls games are gigantic worlds stretched thin over a large playable area with the depth of a puddle, I'm hardly excited to play an MMO where the content is stretched even thinner than before, but with WoW clone MMO structure. Not only that, the actual Elder Scrolls fans are god damned furious over how the developers are mutilating the lore and saying ESO is the actual 'canon' version of events and the games before this one weren't accurate.