people drive person to suicide for not drawing characters right.

springheeljack

Red in Tooth and Claw
May 6, 2010
God this whole thing makes me angry last night when I first heard of it I went searching for the Tumbler pages that supposedly listed the transgressions of this young girl and it was some of the stupidest shit that I have ever read. These fucking people had their heads so far up their own asses that they had lost any notion of empathy. It just shows you how ugly people can be. The worst part is that they thought they were doing good this was their important crusade for justice. And what did it accomplish? It caused a young woman to nearly take her own life. All of this shit just because she drew some fanart of a fucking cartoon show.
I hope she gets better
Fuck the internet

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
I've been down the road.
Back in the day as a little shit teen a clanmate went silent. He was always the sad sort, and I participated in the usual sort of teen male shitgiving.

Then we found out why he went silent.
All these people, I know that they didn't know where this would lead. They're going to look back. It's a soul crushing infected wound on the soul to simply not help enough. Here, people that actually egged on a suicide; it's going to eat them alive.

Moral of the story: if you start thinking of internet people as people who need help or even basic decency, it's coming back to you.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
But hey, the show creators called them out on their bullshit. Officially now the Worst Fandom.

https://twitter.com/tumblritelogic/status/659224641995718656

FavouriteDream

Feb 1, 2013
Bullying and harassing someone is absolutely abhorrent and is never okay.

However, we need to stop using this kind of language about suicide. They "drove" the person to suicide? Well, no, not really. The person who committed suicide is responsible for that.

The reason we need to change the way we speak about this is because it creates the idea that if people are assholes to you, suicide is the thing to do - that's what they're driving you towards. No, they're jerks, they're scumbags - you are in control, not them. That's how we should be talking about this.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wll the good news is that she's alived for now.

OT- Geez and when I thought the dark side of Bronies can be bad but this is up most worse compared to that other Gashi Gashi fanart controversial.

Also this is a good summary of the incident

http://www.dailydot.com/geek/steven-universe-fanartist-bullied-controversy/

Also I bet the people who hate Pearl over her past relation to Greg are the same ones who are complaining toward Rebecca Sugar over her pedo like comic in the past. Those people doesn't seen to understand what the past is and it does NOT determine what people are or can do in the present (people can change).

May 28, 2015
Scarim Coral said:
Also this is a good summary of the incident http://www.dailydot.com/geek/steven-universe-fanartist-bullied-controversy/
It can't be accurate when it's loaded with opinions and hearsay.

Most of those "critical blogs" are deleted. The ones that aren't are supportive and/or nonsensical.

burnout02urza

Nov 22, 2009
The Social Justice Wankers have struck again, I see.

Well, the day of the rope is coming. Eventually, it'll be our turn to start stomping - And I promise you, this time there's going to be no mercy.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
FavouriteDream said:
Bullying and harassing someone is absolutely abhorrent and is never okay.

However, we need to stop using this kind of language about suicide. They "drove" the person to suicide? Well, no, not really. The person who committed suicide is responsible for that.

The reason we need to change the way we speak about this is because it creates the idea that if people are assholes to you, suicide is the thing to do - that's what they're driving you towards. No, they're jerks, they're scumbags - you are in control, not them. That's how we should be talking about this.
I don't know if I fully agree with this line of reasoning. It's like "fighting words," where courts can find that you drove a person to assault you if you egged them on.

Like fighting words, driving someone to kill themselves is not unlike brainwashing, even if unintentional. For many, and I know this first-hand, the abuser has convinced the abused that suicide IS the logical option, and not simply a way out. I agree that we should try to make it more apparent to suicidal people that, as you said, the abusers are jerks and scumbags and shouldn't be in control, but I disagree that responsibility lies solely with the abused here. I don't think a mere change in language would be appropriate.

crimsonspear4D

Sep 26, 2009
Bitter_Angel said:
Who cares this much about a television show? I don't understand this at all.
Steven Universe is hardly the first show or piece of media where a small portion of it's rabid fanbase, for reasons only known to the very people themselves (other than obviously being assholes), why they pick on people who "don't get the fandom or don't understand the majesty of a show; not understanding themselves that it's just a cartoon show. A good cartoon, maybe even a funny or intelligent one, but not something that needs to be worshiped or constantly praised.

MLP had it, various comic series had it, Avatar and The Legend of Korra has them, the Souls series has some pockets of them, and Undertale is currently being infested with them; and when something else comes up that becomes popular for whatever reason they'll suffer the exact same fate as any of these great shows and comics. It's the curse of popularity, I'm afraid, and sadly it will always be inevitable that the "extremists" of the group will fuck it up for the rest.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Bitter_Angel said:
Bronies, Sonic, any and all MOBA's, Monster Hunter, Thor, South Park (but only if you enjoyed Family Guy at any point), Fallout (mainly from fans of the first two games) and PC people when it comes to consoles.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Its usually a lot more complicated than just saying somebody killed themselves because of bullying. If you bully most people they just get bummed out for a while and then carry on with their day. Theres things like innate resilience and mental illness to consider.

I feel like its too much to point your finger at people who harassed someone and call them murderers. Fuckheads yes but its far from putting a gun to their head and pulling the trigger in most cases...

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Bitter_Angel said:
They don't though.

The thing that kicked this all off is that the artist in question didn't draw one of the characters fat enough, or drew the skin tone too light.

The people acting like this are doing it because it gives them their warm fuzzy feelings of 'helping the people that need it' by harassing people that "fat shame" or "white wash".

It's not at all about the show, just the particular vector they used to push their agenda.

crimsonspear4D

Sep 26, 2009
Bitter_Angel said:
crimsonspear4D said:
Bitter_Angel said:
Steven Universe is hardly the first show or piece of media where a small portion of it's rabid fanbase, for reasons only known to the very people themselves (other than obviously being assholes), why they pick on people who "don't get the fandom or don't understand the majesty of a show; not understanding themselves that it's just a cartoon show. A good cartoon, maybe even a funny or intelligent one, but not something that needs to be worshiped or constantly praised.

MLP had it, various comic series had it, Avatar and The Legend of Korra has them, the Souls series has some pockets of them, and Undertale is currently being infested with them; and when something else comes up that becomes popular for whatever reason they'll suffer the exact same fate as any of these great shows and comics. It's the curse of popularity, I'm afraid, and sadly it will always be inevitable that the "extremists" of the group will fuck it up for the rest.
I understand that this is the case, what I don't understand is why it is the case. I know about these other shows (and a game) and their fandoms, but I don't understand them any better than Steven Universe. There must be some common factors, such as mental illness, developmental issues, autism, and a good old fashioned traumatic childhood, but it's hard to pin down. I wonder how much overlap there are between those fandoms and other toxic communities on and offline too.
Well if your talking about why some people would gang up on someone and bully them to suicide then you could just point it up to internet culture, people using their anonymity to harass people and running laughing that they won't get talk. There's no scientific or psychological reasons why, it's just another common case of some people being assholes, and when some find that they have something in common they'll defend their little stick in the mud to keep them "pure" for them. I think it's just people overcompensating because most cartoons for kids that are liked by an older audience are used being mocked or harassed all the time for it, it doesn't excuse their behavior or anything, I'm just saying it has an origin.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Bitter_Angel said:
crimsonspear4D said:
Bitter_Angel said:

I understand that this is the case, what I don't understand is why it is the case. I know about these other shows (and a game) and their fandoms, but I don't understand them any better than Steven Universe. There must be some common factors, such as mental illness, developmental issues, autism, and a good old fashioned traumatic childhood, but it's hard to pin down. I wonder how much overlap there are between those fandoms and other toxic communities on and offline too.

Areloch said:
Bitter_Angel said:
They don't though.

The thing that kicked this all off is that the artist in question didn't draw one of the characters fat enough, or drew the skin tone too light.

The people acting like this are doing it because it gives them their warm fuzzy feelings of 'helping the people that need it' by harassing people that "fat shame" or "white wash".

It's not at all about the show, just the particular vector they used to push their agenda.
I don't know, from reading a lot of the hate it seems pretty focused on the show. There's some SJW crap too, but mostly they're crazy fans.

RaikuFA said:
Bitter_Angel said:
Bronies, Sonic, any and all MOBA's, Monster Hunter, Thor, South Park (but only if you enjoyed Family Guy at any point), Fallout (mainly from fans of the first two games) and PC people when it comes to consoles.
Bronies, Sonic I remember being terrible, but I don't remember bronies being this aggressive. They were more like Moonies or Hare Krishnas in an airport. MOBA's strike me as a different kind of toxic, more of a hyper competitive and teenage thing. The rest I don't associate with rabid fandoms, at least, not like this.

There's none of the weird sexual shit, the endless social cause shit, or this insane dedication. I know "PC Shit Lords" who call me names for owning consoles, who would still never try to bully someone into an early grave. This is really, REALLY extreme!
I have seen people harrass people on MH forums for not knowing a hunts weakness.

Don't know why your copy of Vampire: the Masquerade is working? Then why are you still living on the same planet as me you waste of space.

Hope you get brutally murdered for feeding (it's really just dying once).

These three examples are the most extreme I have seen. I hope this thing with SU is the tipping point where people will say "enough is enough, no more harassing people for not being a walking encyclopedia like you are".