People that criticize games purely on graphics

SpaceArcader

Mar 2, 2011
This probably comes up on the forums a lot but I am sick and tired of people who judge games by the aesthetic side.

For example, I stayed over a friend's house where he was having a group party. He started to play Minecraft and then two people blurted out "Eurgh those graphics look sh*t" I replied back that graphics don't make the game it's all about the enjoyment but they ignored my sentence completely.

Mind you, these people are casuals and claim that the best game is the latest CoD/ Fifa/ Madden on the market.

So if you can post your experiences of hatred by other people.

EDIT: Dont get me wrong, graphics heighten the setting and can sometimes make or break a game but criticising the quality of graphics only and nothing else is a bit unfair.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Is there something wrong with liking good graphics? And to be fair, Minecrafts graphics do look like crap. That is completely right.

Evil Top Hat

May 21, 2011
SpaceArcader said:
Mind you, these people are casuals and claim that the best game is the latest CoD/ Fifa/ Madden on the market.
Oh god... just kill... it's kinder that way

I was speaking to a friend recently about video games, and he claimed that COD: Black Ops was the height of what humans can achieve in regards to video games (with wording that made barely any sense).

A little part of me died.

Leole

Jul 24, 2010
Ordinaryundone said:
Is there something wrong with liking good graphics? And to be fair, Minecrafts graphics do look like crap. That is completely right.
I think what he meant is that people shouldn't judge the game as a whole just by the graphics. Minecraft's Graphics look like crap, but I like them, and the game is non-the-less fun.

KaizokuouHasu

May 19, 2011
Evil Top Hat said:
SpaceArcader said:
Oh god... just kill... it's kinder that way

I was speaking to a friend recently about video games, and he claimed that COD: Black Ops was the height of what humans can achieve in regards to video games (with wording that made barely any sense).

A little part of me died.
What he said. Please!! Do what he said!

Red Stray

Aug 7, 2011
People that criticise games purely on graphics - are absolutely entitled to their opinion, long live human rights e.t.c.
But it is shallow. They could try a bit harder but they obviously don't want to. Fair enough.
It is annoying, when so many games are so good PAST the graphics. It can make you feel like the person is a bit dumb. But you should never...
Oh who am I kidding...
GAS EM ALL, THE MOUTH-BREATHING AB-HUMAN REPTILE-BRAINED SEA-SPONGES

Valate_v1legacy

Sep 16, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
Duels of the Planeswalkers? Do we need that much whooshing and sparkle to play a card game?
Yes. Because just imagine people making those sounds at a tournament or huge event. It is truly mind boggling!

OT: I don't think so. My favourite games of all time came out years ago and have terrible graphics. (Morrowind, KotOR)

That doesn't make them any less awesome, though!

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
SpaceArcader said:
*Wretch*

Eurgh, not the dirty casuals. =O

Hmmm. Yes yes yes, ignorant people will judge a game based on how pretty it looks and that's really wrong and all. I think you may be preaching to the choir here.

booker

Feb 25, 2011
Red Stray said:
GAS EM ALL, THE MOUTH-BREATHING AB-HUMAN REPTILE-BRAINED SEA-SPONGES
I think this is the most acceptable answer in this thread.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Ordinaryundone said:
Yes it is, graphics is useless all it does is to serve the aesthetics, and in that term, minecraft got excellent aesthetics.

My only encounter with this was when a friend saw me play dwarf fortress and started to ***** about the ASCII graphics, a smack in the head fixed that and he haven't uttered anything about shitty graphics since around me.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Well, different people weigh different things, so if technical bells and whistles is what they like, accept that as their subjective opinion - and loss - and keep playing games which are strong in art, story, gameplay, and/or whatever else you might value.

And Call of Duty 4 was a pretty good (if short) game as far as I'm concerned, with highly polished gameplay, and a coherent story campaign that worked well enough for what it was. The later entries have certainly been disjointed messes in that regard, consisting pretty much of various set-pieces haphazardly thrown together without much to connect them; but some of these set-pieces are still strong, and the gameplay, while not evolving for years now, still quite polished. So it's hardly some cardinal sin to like the thing.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
They obviously didn't play games in or before the PS1/N64 era. I still play those older games, and I enjoy them far more than I do most of today's games, graphics be damned. Good graphics are all well and good, but I'll gladly take a few knocks to graphical quality for a better story, stronger characters or interesting gameplay.

Ursus Buckler

Apr 15, 2011
I agree you can't judge a game completely by it's graphics, but it something that I will complain about if the game is bad. For example I tried to play Oblivion and for a while I accepted the fact that the graphics looked awful and attempted to work on it's value as a game, only to find that it didn't have any of that either.

Aug 19, 2010
This happens to me all the time, all my friends judge some of my favorite games simply on their graphics, i honestly don't give a flying fuck about graphics. if the story is intriguing or the game play is fun, it could be all in cardboard cutout for all i care, in fact, the problem with modern games (with few exceptions of course) is that all effort is put into making the graphics look good, barely any innovation is made, they copy paste some other successful game and "improve" the "look" of the game and nothing else. but nowadays graphics hit a point where they can develop no further with today's technology, so i hope a new era of innovative gameplay and storytelling is coming.

sorry for the wall of text

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
SpaceArcader said:
For example, I stayed over a friend's house where he was having a group party. He started to play Minecraft and then two people blurted out "Eurgh those graphics look sh*t" I replied back that graphics don't make the game it's all about the enjoyment but they ignored my sentence completely.
That's not how you fight that complaint. You say "One person made it. 8 million people play it. And it's not even released yet. Sooo, Shut the fuck up."

If they are a little bit more.....literate (especially with computers), I find it very efficient to just explain to them that the graphics are bad because all the RAM is used up to randomly generate a world 8 times bigger than Earth for you to explore and play with. That usually gets their interest.