People whose names that seem there parents didn't think over

azurine

Jan 20, 2011
A class mate of mine from a few years ago was named Richard Monpetit.

I don't think I spelled his last name right, but I know it's pronounced like that.

1: a nickname for "Richard" is "dick".
2: translate his last name to English.
3: how would his name appear on a school record? that's right, with his last name always being first.

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
shadyh8er said:
I read Freakonomics, and there was this one chapter that looked at names. There was this one guy who named his sons "Winner" and "Loser," and another named her son "Shithead" (pronounced "shuh-thead").
The Shithead one is a joke.

Steven Levitt, the author, also brought up a woman who named her daughter Temptress. She had meant to name her daughter Tempestt, after Tempestt Bledsoe (best known as Vanessa on The Cosby Show.) The child was in family court for a number of reason, including having sex with older men, drug use, and others. The mother had to be informed what Temptress meant.

Winner went on to be a petty criminal. Loser went on to be a decorated police Lt. Loser doesn't talk to Winner anymore.

Levitt also has done some serious work in academia on what are the costs and benefits of certain naming patterns, as well as how do names rise and fall in popularity. Some of it made it into Freakonomics. For example, we all know a Madison. That's a last name. The 1984 Darryl Hannah movie Splash featured Darryl's mermaid character naming herself after a -street-. All those Madisons in your school? They were named after a throwaway joke in an 80's romcom.

thatguy1

Mar 1, 2010
Escapist, I'm dissapointed in you! I was instantly reminded of this famous man, Richard Chopp, who is a urologist that specializes in vasectomies.

http://www.urologyteam.com/our-doctors/dr-richard-chopp

It may not be the parent's fault but it's worth noting.

Also, one of my friends from High school was named Coyote. He told me his mother saw coyotes while on drugs during birth.

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
Razzigyrl said:
I went to Medical Assisting classes with a girl that scared the daylights out of me in terms of combining medical responsibility with lack of intelligence.

At some point we got to the section of our course discussing genitals, reproduction and STD's.

A quote from this woman: "Gonorrhea would be a really pretty girl's name." IN ALL SERIOUSNESS.

o.0
Name your daughter Gonorrhea and I promise you will never, ever have to stop some punk from showing up at the house. You will also likely never have grandchildren, but that's besides the point.

WhiteShadow2401

Jul 10, 2009
I know someone named "Mónica Galindo"... And while it doesn't sound pretty bad in english, if you speak spanish (Like I do, and so does her parents... and everybody in this city) and you say it fast, it says:

Moni (Which is a short form for Monica) Caga-Lindo... In other words: "Moni Defecates Nicely"...

Yeah... Nice girl, though =P...

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
I knew a boy at school with the surname Bates... and since one of our teacher's called everyone either Miss or Master instead of their first names.... yeah...

I grew up in a fairly rural area with lots of newagey types and nerds. Knew twin brothers named Gandalf and Merlin, with a younger brother called Frodo....

For me the trump card on bad namings will always be "name our child after where we conceived it". Really, you think your kid wants to think about being named after a place you had sex?

skcom13

Oct 1, 2009
i went to school with a kid named peter johnson, seems kinda redundant but funny when your 10

Parivir

Jul 20, 2009
Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern schplenden schlitter crasscrenbon fried digger dingle dangle dongle dungle burstein von knacker thrasher apple banger horowitz ticolensic grander knotty spelltinkle grandlich grumblemeyer spelterwasser kurstlich himbleeisen bahnwagen gutenabend bitte ein nürnburger bratwustle gerspurten mitz weimache luber hundsfut gumberaber shönedanker kalbsfleisch mittler aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm

for real though I give you.

Captain Fantastic Faster Than Superman Spiderman Batman Wolverine Hulk And The Flash Combined
and
Rhoshandiatellyneshiaunneveshenk Koyaanisquatsiuth Williams

LINK: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/3369609/Teenager-changes-name-to-Captain-Fantastic.html

Helmet

Could use a beer about now...
May 14, 2008
Well, at the store I used to work at when we had to special order something in for a customer, we would occasionally get the nutjobs who didn't want any of their information to be "in the system." Seriously.

If I was creating the order, each of these wonderful people went in under the name Richard Cranium.

I've seen a few Dick Johnsons show up in the order queue at work, but that's the best I've seen.

AnnaIME

Empress of Baked Goods
Dec 15, 2009
ThatGuyWithTheShotty said:
Female. No, seriously. My friend's aunt claimed that a woman named her daughter Female. Fe-mall-ee.
Another one was... gah, I don't remember the word, but it's the medical term for the shit that comes out when a baby's born. My friend's aunt said she was like "Oh thank God, THERE'S the [whatever it's called]" and the mother loved the name.
So yes, there's some kids in the world named Female and a synonym to Shit.
Placenta?

Sabiancym

Aug 12, 2010
Damn, just realized this was already posted.....

While reading the names of the students at the parent teacher assembly, the principal came to a name she wasn't familiar with.

On the paper was the name Le-ah Jackson.

"Leee ah? Leia?"

Just then, a mother stood up and screamed "It's Ledasha, the dash don't be silent!"

And humanity wept.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
My sister's friend's friend called her daughter Aurora. Aurora. Who the hell calls their kid Aurora? Not only is it a ***** to spell and say (saying both Rs hurts my mouth, oddly) but it's just wierd to name your kid that.
No offence to any Auroras out there if there are any. I strongly dislike my sister's friend's friend. That influences this post.

I remember my brother's got a weird, weird name planned for his upcoming kid if it's a boy, but I can't remember what it is. I just hope it turns out to be a girl. For the kid's sake. *shivers*

elbrandino

Dec 8, 2010
I have a vegan friend named Bo Lawrence Thompson. Think about his initials. And that he's a vegan. Get it? I do! Aha, aha, ha... His parents are jerks.

agrajagthetesty

Jan 29, 2010
The only ones I know of aren't dirty (unlike the majority in this thread) - Theresa Green and Sandy Beach. Both girls my mother knew at school.