Perfect World and Cryptic Studios Are Making a Magic: the Gathering MMO

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Perfect World and Cryptic Studios Are Making a Magic: the Gathering MMO

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1412/1412170.jpgThere's a new MMO based on Magic: the Gathering in the works, and it's being developed by Cryptic Studios.

When Magic: the Gathering was first released in 1993, no one knew how successful it would become. The trading cards went from being passed around in high schools to high-dollar collectors items. There's now a worldwide Pro Tour, new sets every year, and mountains of cards to play with. Now there's going to be a Magic: the Gathering MMO, and it's being developed by Cryptic Studios, the same company behind the Dungeons & Dragons MMO, Neverwinter.

Although there are no concrete details at this time, Cryptic Studios CEO Stephen D'Angelo said that, "Everything from the graphics to the gameplay is being targeted for a truly unique AAA game. We're thrilled to provide Magic fans with an opportunity to explore the game's worlds and characters through an entirely new lens. Get ready to embark on a brand new journey."

David Schwartz, Wizards of the Coast Vice President of Digital Publishing, said of the announcement, "This game is an exciting part of Wizards of the Coast's Magic Digital Next initiative to extend gameplay beyond the tabletop, and we're proud to work with the talented team at Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic Studios to bring the Magic: The Gathering Multiverse to life."

There's no word on what the game will be called, when it will launch, or anything else, really. We'll keep an ear to the ground for more info, but until then, this is what we know.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010

OK, I might be really interested in this. The card game just looked like another card game to me, but I always thought the setting and lore looked pretty interesting. If they're making that into an actual 3D game, and that game is good, count me in.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Isnt this backwards? Are they going to make an RTS series based on the MMO based on the card game next?

Arnoxthe1 said:

OK, I might be really interested in this. The card game just looked like another card game to me, but I always thought the setting and lore looked pretty interesting. If they're making that into an actual 3D game, and that game is good, count me in.
Magic is "Just another card game" like WoW is "Just another MMO".

You dont have to like the game itself, but Magic is what defined trading card games, just like WoW defined MMOs.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I'm in as long as there's "romance" scenes with Liliana and/or Chandra. :^)

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
I loved to read the flavour text on every card when I collected the cards years ago, so I can see loads of potential in the variety of creatures and landscapes and events that happened throughout the sets. If AAA money gets thrown at it, then even better.

Depending on the execution, I may actually care about an mmo again, in a casual sense at least.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Saelune said:
You dont have to like the game itself, but Magic is what defined trading card games, just like WoW defined MMOs.
It's nothing personal. I'm just not a fan of card games. Literally the first and only card game I was ever a fan of was Pokemon. And even then, it was just an elementary school phase I went through. I think I cared more about the cool monsters on the cards and the sheer rarity of some of them rather than actually playing the game. lol

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Quite a few hours ago, a friend on Facebook had an article up saying Wizards had fixed up thier website, MtG Online, thier card search engine and Duels so they are finally ready to do a MMO. Becuase they were sarcastically pointing out that they had fixed none of those things, I thought they were being sarcastic about the MMO...

Well... I suppose that's good. Does anyone really wants this? I mean, I might play it for a while but I can't imagine me playing it forever.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
i remember when the card game was first released and it pretty much immediately got the nickname money the gathering, so frankly its perfect for cryptic

that said it will have lockboxes .. again

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Saelune said:
Wouldn't that go to Everquest though? Before WoW, it was the popular MMO, yes?

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
I wonder what form this will take, re-skinned City of Heros or actual MtG with other elements?

It's a shame that the game of MtG doesn't translate very well to the computer. Soooo much priority passing.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Choppaduel said:
I wonder what form this will take, re-skinned City of Heros or actual MtG with other elements?

It's a shame that the game of MtG doesn't translate very well to the computer. Soooo much priority passing.
The first one was pretty good. They should just make it like the YuGiOh DS games.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Alright but what does that mean? A game that you walk around with your MtG deck and challenge other players in an overworld? An RPG where you assume the role of a character in the MtG world (or were they planes? I always forget)?

I also wonder if they're just going to use their Dungeons and Dragons engine and reskin it with new monsters.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Saelune said:
Isnt this backwards? Are they going to make an RTS series based on the MMO based on the card game next?

Arnoxthe1 said:

Magic is "Just another card game" like WoW is "Just another MMO".

Seeing as how everything WoW did had been done by other MMOs in the past, I dunno if I'd say it defined MMOs. It was influential in games that came after it though, just like Magic: The Gathering. For better or worse in both cases.

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
pookie101 said:
i remember when the card game was first released and it pretty much immediately got the nickname money the gathering, so frankly its perfect for cryptic

that said it will have lockboxes .. again
Definitely that and lucky boxes, shifting time windows of buy more buy now and endless promos with amazing, such great savings...

Added bonus: Potential classes that may be announced Paypal Paladin, Master Card Mage, Credit Card Warrior that can switch charge card stances for hourly benefits.

Honestly some of their stuff was sorta ok but the constant flooding of gold farmer bot spamming along with the developers own spamming of the channels of winners and other push, push stuff became too irksome for me as I just wanted something direct and clean, a subscription for an MMO that I can sign into for some enjoyment.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
I may be interested in this, depending on what I'm up to when it comes out. This will probably be pretty good if you can ignore all of the constant lock box pushing. There will be constant lock box pushing. If you're going to play it, just make peace with it.

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
What was that xbox game in the MTG universe?
I got some sick burns from that game.
"May your suffering equal your weakness" -generic wraith knight guy

Anyway the universe definitely has potential, it would take a damn good game to make me play an mmo though.

ima420r

Aug 14, 2008
DarklordKyo said:
Saelune said:
I remember when Ultima Online was the big thing, but I think Everquest might be the MMO that defined MMOs. Just like Pokemon was the card game that defined Card Games (not including actual 52 deck card games of course).

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
ima420r said:
DarklordKyo said:
Saelune said:
I remember when Ultima Online was the big thing, but I think Everquest might be the MMO that defined MMOs. Just like Pokemon was the card game that defined Card Games (not including actual 52 deck card games of course).
Pokemon was not the card game that defined card games. That was certainly Magic: The Gathering. MTG already had 14 sets out (Alpha through Mirage) before the Pokemon TCG even came out in japan. Not to mention by the time Pokemon dropped in english, MTG was already on its 21st set and was only a month away from its 22nd.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010

I don't care what kind of investigations are required, if you're doing this and there are voiced protagonists or NPCs then you owe it the magnificence of this artefact of the FMV era to find these two and bring them back to Magic.

ima420r

Aug 14, 2008
Randomosity said:
ima420r said:
DarklordKyo said:
Saelune said:
Pokemon was not the card game that defined card games. That was certainly Magic: The Gathering. MTG already had 14 sets out (Alpha through Mirage) before the Pokemon TCG even came out in japan. Not to mention by the time Pokemon dropped in english, MTG was already on its 21st set and was only a month away from its 22nd.
My mistake.