Persona 4 Anime Hits Hulu

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Persona 4 Anime Hits Hulu

Good news Persona fans: The anime adaptation of Atlus' brilliant Persona 4 is now available free of charge.

Let's say that you're a huge fan of the Persona series. You've murdered a ton of those skittering gold hands, romanced a few Japanese teenagers and saved the world from existential evil more often than Nietzsche and The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers combined.

You're anxiously awaiting the release of the PSVita Persona 4 remake and the Persona fighting game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113250-Persona-Fighter-Spawns-An-Offensive-Trailer], but neither of those titles are coming fast enough. You've got the shakes, you can barely concentrate, and you rue the day you picked up this terrible addiction. What's a gamer to do?

Hulu has the answer.

As of now the online video streaming site is hosting the first, officially translated episode of Persona 4: You're Myself, I'm Yourself [http://www.hulu.com/watch/286883/persona-4-youre-myself-im-yourself#s-p1-so-i0]; the official anime adaptation of the game.

Admittedly, most adaptations of videogames, whether they be live action or animated, aren't all that great. For every lingering shot of Chun-Li taking a shower, you have a dozen John Leguizamos cast as lesser Italian plumbers. Fortunately, Persona 4: You're Myself, I'm Yourself seems to follow its virtual inspiration pretty closely. The music, the characters, even the game's hipper-than-thou aesthetics are all spot-on.

This being the first episode, it doesn't exactly tell the entire story of the game though. I had my fingers crossed for at least 20 minutes of Nanako being superZOMGkawaii to no avail. Still, presumably Hulu will be bringing more episodes of the show to the US sometime soon, so after the half-hour of reveling in your favorite faux-Japanese universe, you've got a whole 'nother round of those crippling withdrawls to look forward to.

Seriously Atlus, just give us a new game already! I've got ants crawling under my skin! I need a fix man!

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
They managed to abridge the first 2 hours of the game pretty well i think also the calender and the stats screen were hilarious.

To be honest any fears i had about this basically disappeared once Aria of the Soul started playing...

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
*Can only be viewed in the United States*
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOU, HULU.

Dammit, that's annoying.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Spoilers in the picture... Not really. That's just the first episode.

What I do hate though is that the subtitles are ugly and doesn't seem like the subtitlers were having fun.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
hazabaza1 said:

Dammit, that's annoying.
Tell me about it. I clicked the link excitedly, the page was about to load when I suddenly remembered, before the screen then confirmed it. The message might as well have read "HAHA We can watch the Persona anime!"

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
I remember being excited for this awhile ago...

After watching... I liked it enough to watch another episode... if that means anything.

Omegalus

Nov 8, 2010
hazabaza1 said:

Dammit, that's annoying.
Totally, i planning on keeping an eye on the likes of Animefreak.tv and Animecrazy.net, to see if the Persona 4 anime gets posted onto it.

-edit-
yep both afortmentioned sites seem to have multiple sources for the P4 anime. bout to watch the first episode of it.

Sep 14, 2009
well i've been using their anime section like crazy anyways, i'll be sure to add this to the list!

Haven't played the games but def. want to someday, hopefully the series will give me a jumpstart to want to play em

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Omegalus said:
hazabaza1 said:

Dammit, that's annoying.
Totally, i planning on keeping an eye the Likes of Animefreak.tv and Animecrazy.net, to see if the Persona 4 anime gets posted onto it
It's up in loads of places already. So people should have no problem seeing it.

Just watched, it's pretty good so far but why is everyone slightly sunburnt from the neck to the middle of the face?

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
hazabaza1 said:

Dammit, that's annoying.
I've always hated that about Hulu, they make me do so much more work than necessary, JUST to watch a new show >.>

Off topic: DAMMIT ATLUS GIMME ANOTHER OGRE BATTLE!!!!!

Panayjon

Aug 12, 2008
Personally I felt the first episode was way too rushed. Like Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood the pacing was just too quick. I'll still watch the rest but everyone was just a bunch of faces without personality. Even though I've already played the game, know the mystery, and seen all the S-Links... if I hadn't I don't think it'd be worth mentioning.

Syntax Man

Apr 8, 2008
For all concerned about fucking Hulu and its being fucking US only, your welcome [http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Persona-4/Watch].

Jjkaybomb

Nov 22, 2009
I really liked this anime, but I think my enjoyment was directly tied to playing Persona 4. If you had never played the game and saw this anime... well, so far it has a weird pace, quickly jumping from scene to scene. And the main character has very, VERY little personality. It works for a video game, but for an anime, its just strange to see him so quiet.

I'll probably keep watching, but I doubt its something I'd recommend.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Funny how the news post mentions the music. The music being spot on? That's because they took it directly from the game, without even a hint of remastering. There are a few new tracks, but they're mostly ambient mood setters. When music from the game plays, it actually sticks out like a sore thumb and I think it was a little lazy of them not to do an arrangement, even a resampling.

The pacing was kind of eh near the beginning. It is close to the game, but that being said, there could have been emphasis on Yu's dream. Also, the gas station attendant had an ambiguous voice in the English dub of P4, and yet this Japanese VA is clearly male. I wish it were more ambiguous.

I think the art is fantastic, though. They've kept everything very close to the game's character art, rather than using the model sheets from the huge legs-tiny head models used in P4's cutscenes.