Persona 4 Arena Review

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Persona 4 Arena Review

An excellent fighting game for Persona fans, an excellent Persona game for fighting fans.

Read Full Article

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
I just finished Persona 4 for the first time a couple of weeks ago and loved it, so this may be the first fighting game I ever buy.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Not 5 Stars?

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!

Nah, just kidding. Very good review.

An easy to play, difficult to master fighter. Easily one of the best games of 2012 for me.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
So glad the response to this has been as positive as I'd hoped, it certainly had potential to go wrong. Now I wait patiently for the game to be released in Europe...

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I'm going to play this over the weekend, so we will see if agree with your assessment. Sounds about right though from what I have seen.

The bit about the AI not being as good with some characters as others... I think that's just an Arc System Works thing. In BlazBlue a high level AI Tsubaki is a fucking god compared to some of the other characters in the game.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
I'd like to say that this is an extremely accurate review (even the 30 minutes between fights for story mode). I've lost quite a couple of hours to P4: Arena already and I love it. LOVE IT! I'm pretty tempted to buy some dlc, but I'll hold off for now.

ChupathingyX said:
I just finished Persona 4 for the first time a couple of weeks ago and loved it, so this may be the first fighting game I ever buy.
My bias for Persona aside, I'd recommend it.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Getting my Vita tomorrow and picking this up soon after.
Can't wait........... I want it! NOW!!!

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
I should probably get a Vita before Golden comes out. And I should get this.
I've been so excited about more P4 since the announcement. Cannot wait

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Like with pretty much all of ArkSys' fighters, I appreciate the work they've done but there's just something about the game that totally turns me off and kills my interest in actually playing it. Oh well, the reception amongst the fighting game community so far has been positive enough that I'm happy those who are interested are actually getting a good game instead of a cheap cash in.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I can haz PC release?.

I think I'm getting a PS3 just for this game, there's just no love for PC gaming with fighting games :(

Except Capcom maybe (I'm still waiting for UMvC3), but not from other developers/publishers, like Atlus/ArcSys.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
I have never played a Persona game. A shame since I have some knowledge of the plot and it seems to be a very good story.

I am going to experiment this game I hope the story is not too dependable on Persona 4 to be understood.

Still, I have a question. Why the Escapist hasn't made a Skullgirls review? A brand new fighting game via DLC which broke 50.000 copies in ten days. I was thinking that the staff wasn't into fighting games and then suddenly this enthusiastic reviw appeared. What happened?

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Is Elizabeth this game's MetaKnight?
Everyone seems to be fairly balanced, but we won't know any of the busted tier characters for a couple days, when pros have a chance to show whose a god and who isn't.
Yeah, I am far from pro but , personally, I did seem to jive better with Elizabeth than the others - probably the only reason why she looks like more of an ass kicker in the video. :)

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Grahav said:
I have never played a Persona game. A shame since I have some knowledge of the plot and it seems to be a very good story.

I am going to experiment this game I hope the story is not too dependable on Persona 4 to be understood.

Still, I have a question. Why the Escapist hasn't made a Skullgirls review? A brand new fighting game via DLC which broke 50.000 copies in ten days. I was thinking that the staff wasn't into fighting games and then suddenly this enthusiastic reviw appeared. What happened?
Yeah, the staff and (more importantly) many of the users of The Escapist are, at best, not overly knowledgable about the genre or are, at worst, outwardly hostile towards it. We do definitely have some diehard fighting game fans here but this just isn't the place to be if you're looking for consistent and solid coversage of fighters.

muffinatorXII

Jul 4, 2011
am i the only one who got really annoyed when he said that story in fighting games is "counter to the genre" i realize it's become the norm for fighting games to have little or no story but that doesn't mean it's "counter to the genre"

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Very nice. Sounds much better than I even thought it could be. And a story mode too? 30 hours. Holy crap what is this?!

One tiny fear: is the story good.
Persona games are usually awesome b/c of its story/character development. With the fighting-game tie in the multiple characters that you can choose from, I wonder if the story will feel cheap/light/unauthentic :(

Be keeping my eye on this one though

edgecult

May 4, 2011
antipunt said:
Very nice. Sounds much better than I even thought it could be. And a story mode too? 30 hours. Holy crap what is this?!

One tiny fear: is the story good.
Persona games are usually awesome b/c of its story/character development. With the fighting-game tie in the multiple characters that you can choose from, I wonder if the story will feel cheap/light/unauthentic :(

Be keeping my eye on this one though
The story is pretty good. (I'm still working through my 2nd character run now.) It's got a running story for every character in the game showing their point of view from each time they cross with another along the way and seems like it's leading to something bigger in the end. (someone sorta spoiled the ending of the over arching plot for me but I wont do the same for ya.) Suffice to say it's a solid persona story line.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
An SMT game with lots of text in it?
This is clearly something to complain about.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Is Elizabeth this game's MetaKnight?
Everyone seems to be fairly balanced, but we won't know any of the busted tier characters for a couple days, when pros have a chance to show whose a god and who isn't.
Ummm, people already have a pretty good idea who the "best" and "worst" characters are in the game given that it's been available to play in Japanese arcades for ~5 months. That said while there definitely are better and worse characters there aren't any that (at least with current information) are going to be some meta-game warping force of nature.