Persona 5 Info Coming Early Next Year

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011

After six long years of waiting and various re-releases of previous games in the series, some concrete details about Persona 5 are right around the corner.

It's been six long, looooong years since Persona 4's release, and its protagonist [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/persona%205?from_search=1&&os=persona+5]. And... that's about it. Soon, though, that might change: according to producer Katsura Hashino, more significant information about the mysterious RPG is coming in early 2015.

"After the New Year, we'd like to reveal content with proper timing," Hashino told Siliconera [http://gamestalk.net/persona5-4/] points out that the Persona Super Live 2015 concert is happening in Japan on February 5, and could be the "proper timing" Hashino refers to.

I know that's not a lot to go on, but after more than half a decade, knowing Persona 5 is practically right around the corner is so exciting. Persona 3 and Persona 4 (and all their various iterations released by Atlus) are two of the best RPGs of the last ten years. Personally, I can't wait to spend another 100 hours going to high school, managing my social life, and fighting demons in my spare time.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/22/persona-5-details-come-shortly-new-years-says-producer-hashino/]

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I'm so glad it's FINALLY coming out.

Still, I was kind of hoping for a Persona or Atlus Collection to come out between said releases.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
Tanis said:
I was kind of hoping for a Persona or Atlus Collection to come out between said releases.
ditto, but meanwhile I'm having so much fun with Persona Q :3

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
6 years? Damn. Come to think of it, Persona 3 is turning 10 next year.

Hopefully it comes to PC

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
They can do pretty much anything, and I'm most likely going to love it

But honestly, the one thing I want is a gay romance option. Now, now, put down your torches everyone, It's not just for "dem inclusivities " or "Kung fu Pandering" I have a valid reason. Throughout the many many times I've played Persona 4, there's been one guy whom I wanted to date, easily one of the best written characters in games. Kanji Tatsumi, Complete Badass. You can date what, six girls at once with literally no repercussion (outside of the Valentine's day event in Golden, but even then it didn't really affect anything outside of that day), but not get one dude to summon Mara for you? I can only guess that it's because they wanted to keep his sexuality ambiguous.

Well, I also want the protag. to be able to equip any kind of weapon again, and a return to the weapon fusion system. I can't for the life of me understand why those were dropped

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
EyeReaper said:
...the one thing I want is a gay romance option. Now, now, put down your torches everyone, It's not just for "dem inclusivities " or "Kung fu Pandering" I have a valid reason. Throughout the many many times I've played Persona 4, there's been one guy whom I wanted to date, easily one of the best written characters in games. Kanji Tatsumi, Complete Badass. You can date what, six girls at once with literally no repercussion (outside of the Valentine's day event in Golden, but even then it didn't really affect anything outside of that day), but not get one dude to summon Mara for you? I can only guess that it's because they wanted to keep his sexuality ambiguous.
I think we can trust Atlus with writing believable and compelling characters. After all, they made a lovable homophobic Yosuke in P4, which is something Bioware wouldn't be able to pull off even if they were allowed to try. Besides, they did an amazing female MC in P3P who wasn't just a gender swap but a new and compelling character with new and interesting Social Links that let us see the game world and people inhabiting it from a new perspective.
So there's hope they'll handle whatever romance they choose to include in the game with taste and respect.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Two Christmases in as many months? You spoil us!

And here I am still working up the courage to fight the first boss of Persona 3. So looking forward to this title.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
EyeReaper said:
They can do pretty much anything, and I'm most likely going to love it

But honestly, the one thing I want is a gay romance option. Now, now, put down your torches everyone, It's not just for "dem inclusivities " or "Kung fu Pandering" I have a valid reason. Throughout the many many times I've played Persona 4, there's been one guy whom I wanted to date, easily one of the best written characters in games. Kanji Tatsumi, Complete Badass. You can date what, six girls at once with literally no repercussion (outside of the Valentine's day event in Golden, but even then it didn't really affect anything outside of that day), but not get one dude to summon Mara for you? I can only guess that it's because they wanted to keep his sexuality ambiguous.

Well, I also want the protag. to be able to equip any kind of weapon again, and a return to the weapon fusion system. I can't for the life of me understand why those were dropped
I think in P2 you can have Tatsuya and Jun be lovers. Nothing really happens outside of a new way to converse with demons though.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Still here, Atlus. Still have money for you. No worries, just deliver.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Its not quite true that we know nothing about the game. For instance, we know that its major thematic pallete is red. And that tells us that, just as the blue draped Persona 3 was a depressing and bleak storyline, defined by its low points, and the yellow Persona 4 wasa bubbly, fun and lively adventure, this one will focus on rage and hotblooded passion.
SUPA FRANKY said:

Hopefully it comes to PC
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh man, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, oh thats brilliant. You're a funny guy, you know that?

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Toadfish1 said:
Its not quite true that we know nothing about the game. For instance, we know that its major thematic pallete is red. And that tells us that, just as the blue draped Persona 3 was a depressing and bleak storyline, defined by its low points, and the yellow Persona 4 wasa bubbly, fun and lively adventure, this one will focus on rage and hotblooded passion.
SUPA FRANKY said:

Hopefully it comes to PC
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh man, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, oh thats brilliant. You're a funny guy, you know that?

Hey. Neptunia and Fairy Fencer F just got anounced for PC ( Don't give two shits about those gamesbut....)

So did One Piece Pirate Warriors 3.

Persona 4 doesn't seem like such a miracle anymore :)

Oh yea, I was wrong about P3. It turns 10 in 2016.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
SUPA FRANKY said:
Hey. Neptunia and Fairy Fencer F just got anounced for PC ( Don't give two shits about those gamesbut....)
I, for one, welcome our new Nep overlords.

In all seriousness though, the increasing amount of Japanese games appearing on Steam as well as the Japanese market starting to embrace PC gaming is long overdue and easily the best thing to come of this generation so far. Easily.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Sarah LeBoeuf said:

After six long years of waiting and various re-releases of previous games in the series, some concrete details about Persona 5 are right around the corner.

It's been six long, looooong years since Persona 4's release, and its protagonist [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/persona%205?from_search=1&&os=persona+5]. And... that's about it. Soon, though, that might change: according to producer Katsura Hashino, more significant information about the mysterious RPG is coming in early 2015.

"After the New Year, we'd like to reveal content with proper timing," Hashino told Siliconera [http://gamestalk.net/persona5-4/] points out that the Persona Super Live 2015 concert is happening in Japan on February 5, and could be the "proper timing" Hashino refers to.

I know that's not a lot to go on, but after more than half a decade, knowing Persona 5 is practically right around the corner is so exciting. Persona 3 and Persona 4 (and all their various iterations released by Atlus) are two of the best RPGs of the last ten years. Personally, I can't wait to spend another 100 hours going to high school, managing my social life, and fighting demons in my spare time.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/22/persona-5-details-come-shortly-new-years-says-producer-hashino/]

Hey; what about Nocturne?

That game began with the death of all life on the planet.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Reed Spacer said:

That's main-series SMT, though. XD

As a rule, the main series leans more pessimistic, and favors themes and atmosphere over characters and narrative, whereas the Persona games lean more optimistic, and put more emphasis of character and world building.

Exciting news, though! always down for more SMT goodness.

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
Aw yes, looking forward to this.

Hopefully, it comes in time for summer since I won't have the time to both study and enjoy P5 properly :/

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
balladbird said:
Reed Spacer said:

That's main-series SMT, though. XD

As a rule, the main series leans more pessimistic, and favors themes and atmosphere over characters and narrative, whereas the Persona games lean more optimistic, and put more emphasis of character and world building.

Exciting news, though! always down for more SMT goodness.
Still a damn cool game. What's the score on the 3DS Persona game? I have a moderate amount of liquid assets and had been batting around the idea of trading up my DS, since I'd still be able to play them.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Quote is randomly not working, but Reed Spacer, if you liked Nocturne, I can safely say that SMTIV is a must-play. It's not quite as good as nocturne, since it's kind of a spiritual re-imagining of SMT I, with a little SMT II thrown in, but it's still excellent.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
balladbird said:
Quote is randomly not working, but Reed Spacer, if you liked Nocturne, I can safely say that SMTIV is a must-play. It's not quite as good as nocturne, since it's kind of a spiritual re-imagining of SMT I, with a little SMT II thrown in, but it's still excellent.
The one about the Samurai? I was looking at that, too; I have Strange Journey.