Personality trait enheritance from your parents

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
So i have been about a year officially 100% on my own with no parental help now and i noticed something somewhat odd, I am almost nothing like my father whatsoever. It is kind of implied you will be come some ratio of your parents throughout stories and i always just thought it was a given but apparently not.

Here is a simple example of how different we are. Today i was back home and we put this glass door thin on our fire place, my dad was pissed because it had these legs that had it intended to just stand in front of the fire place but he wanted it mounted to the wall so i said "Just mount it to the fucking wall then" which he said is impossible. So what did I do? sent him out to get dinner and i went to the hardware store. because my father put a fucking absurd time in to planning and making stuff perfect (a quality of his i detest) my 45 minute round trip to the store and application of the impossible to me 25 minutes less than his 15 minute trip to the store to buy "burger buns, vegetables, beer and seasonings" he came back and asked where i learned to wield because in his mind i suppose he thought that would be necessary but all i did was stick it up there with bolts and this glue you use to put up chair rails, which in his mind was genius or a cheep ass job we will have to see how it hold up, bit it look fantastic.

This is not by any means a complaint as my father is an ultra conservative narcissistic angry man that has a shell of decency and care thick enough to where I can still respect what he has done for me I can recall times I thought "damn i never want to be like that" yet thought i would take on some traits but all i have picked up is that I like to garden and how to fix basic problem that is it. Other than that i am almost entirely like my mom or brother only far more outwardly a nerd and a touch more eccentric.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
I couldn't quite make out just what was going on in your OP, but I think that most people have certain similarities to their parents. My dad and I both have giant heads and both my parents went through a period of social awkwardness that far surpasses my own. My mom and I are both geniuses of the same sort, though I will admit I have absolutely no affection for organization and tidiness in contrast to her love of keeping things neat and tidy, though I suppose she simply has a distaste for messiness. I am just as anger prone as my father and I hate sports just like he does. Really I'd say you may just be looking at things wrong. You're looking for differences rather than similarities. If you look for what you have in common, you may surprise yourself.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I actually get people telling me I fight just like my father all the time, it is kinda funny how our styles are so similar.

Raven-Loveless

Mar 4, 2010
I have my father's personality, which is sarcastic and laid back, but my temper comes from my mother.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
I'm probably most similar to my father. We get along pretty well.

I can't think of anyone who's similar to my mother. She has such a disagreeable personality that pretty much all of the family and even her best friend have made efforts to see her less often.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
I take after my Dad far to much, both of us can be bad tempered and stubborn and causes us to bump heads quite a lot. Not to say we don't get on because we do but it often leads to rows where we declare undying eternal hatred for each other, we also exchange a lot of abuse unfit to share on a forum. An hour later we are getting along again.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Well the only thing I've inherited from my father is height, and personality wise we are nothing alike, but I'm actually a lot like my mother, we are both determined with high moral standards, sarcastic and with a "no one messes with me" attitude, there are a lot of differences too of course, for example she is very expressive and passionate when she talks, and I always sound bored and uninterested, even if I feel really strongly about, of course the most obvious resemblance is that my mother is an ex-model and I'm quite dashing, mostly because I kinda look a lot like her if she was a guy, which is annoying because people keep thinking that photos of her when she was little are of me dressed as a girl, quite annoying.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I unfortuantely didn't inherit my fathers social abilities . I did inherit however my mothers hate for people . Thus i am asocial like she is ( yay genetics :/). I did however get my fathers ability to piss my mother off by being layed back while she stress over eveything ( that goodness).Hell i piss my girlfriend off by being that way . You know the saying " every man grows up to marry his own mother"? True in my case , terrible feeling .

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I'm nothing like my dad, no fucking way, no how. The only thing of his I inherited is my eyes.

Mum I'm very much similar to. She taught me how to cook and sew and clean properly. We both like looking after people and are always there when someone needs help. We both love our family and would do anything for them. I helped her look after the elderly neighbours when they were suffering from dementia (they were forgetting to eat and clean). We're just both very motherly. Minus me being a mum xP

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
I am, for the most part, aesthetically my Dad and mentally my Mum. I do occasionally have flashes of my Dad's personality, most notably in my short temper, but for the most part we're pretty different people.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Parents don't really have to have that much impact on their children.

Or rather, they play a big role, normally, but there's no foolproof way to make your kids turn out right (ie, like you), you could end up pushing them away on any or all things instead.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
If someone's arguing, I'll usually try to broker peace, just like my dad would. I have his attitudes to many things, apart from work. He thinks hard work is good for you, whereas I think anything you can do to make it easier is well worth it, more like my grand-dad from his side.
I inherit almost nothing from my mum. Not aside from the physical, anyway.

the Dept of Science

Nov 9, 2009
I think that people may find this interesting:

I've not read the book he is talking about, The Blank Slate, but apparently it makes a good case for the nature side in the whole nature vs. nurture argument.

I'm going to suggest that it's difficult to compare you to your parents right now because your personality changes significantly around middle age. Your hormones change, your biology changes.
What would be much more revealing is comparing what you are like now with what your parents were like, say 20 years ago. Or similarly, comparing your personality in 20 years time to what your parents are like now.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
My father is stupid, needy, arrogant and entitled. He is incredibly self-absorbed, loves to feel sorry for himself and expects others to listen to his petty complaints even though he has no intention of returning the favour.

I suppose I inherited that much from him.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
My mother hates to be late, and I strongly picked that up from her. We're both of the mindset that it is far better to be a half hour early to something than to be five minutes late.

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
Near as I can tell you tend to pick up more traits from whoever you spent the most time with. I have a similar mentality to my mother and we see eye to eye on many subjects. Me and my dad don't really have many common points as far as personality is concerned apart from an inclination to tell stupid jokes at bad times and a tendency pick up friends who we don't want anything to do with.
My mum raised me pretty much by herself as dad was constantly working or sleeping.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Aris Khandr said:
My mother hates to be late, and I strongly picked that up from her. We're both of the mindset that it is far better to be a half hour early to something than to be five minutes late.
I wish my mother was like that. It's at the point where if I need her to drive me somewhere, I tell her I need to be there half an hour before I actually do, otherwise I'll be about 10 minutes late.

OT: I'm very much like my father in most aspects.