Peru coup

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

A few days ago the president of Peru, a popular centrist politician was ousted by congress. President Martín Vizcarra had set up his presidency to root out corruption in Peruvian politics when vague allegations were made against him. The popular opinion was to let him serve out his term and investigate him, and instead congress declared him immoral and tossed him out to replace with their own guy. Peruvians have taken to the streets to protest congress's coup.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

Oh, and the cavalry is on the way!

To certify an election that might be happening next year maybe! But I bet they'll get off their asses real quick if the people overthrow their government and put someone popular in charge.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Oh dear, within Peru.
Some people, they have launched a coup.
In the streets there is fire,
As people vent ire,
Oh dearie oh me, what to do?

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Oh dear, within Peru.
Some people, they have launched a coup.
In the streets there is fire,
As people vent ire,
Oh dearie oh me, what to do?
That poem sucks. 6-8-6-5-8 isn’t really a limerick, and that second line is 9 depending on if you pronounce launched with two syllables.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
tl;dr President gets a vote of no-confidence by congress, ousted from power and gets replaced. Demonstrations get police crack-downs, which lead to more extreme forms of protest... Peru, I assume, is preparing to make some extreme measures in the near future. This is expected politically because if you look at their latest elections it was a complete clusterfuck with around 10 parties with the same amount of power each. This is perhaps the best example of the potential failures of a parliamentary system.
BTW I looked over the names of the parties (over 20) that ran in the elections and they're hilarious. "Free Peru, "Go Peru", "We are Peru"...

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
tl;dr President gets a vote of no-confidence by congress, ousted from power and gets replaced. Demonstrations get police crack-downs, which lead to more extreme forms of protest... Peru, I assume, is preparing to make some extreme measures in the near future. This is expected politically because if you look at their latest elections it was a complete clusterfuck with around 10 parties with the same amount of power each. This is perhaps the best example of the potential failures of a parliamentary system.
BTW I looked over the names of the parties (over 20) that ran in the elections and they're hilarious. "Free Peru, "Go Peru", "We are Peru"...

If you just say Peru, then clearly you are the definition of what it means to be Peruvian and they should follow your lead.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
So, if I can sum this up, the legislature, some of them up for corruption charges were it not for their parliamentary immunity, removed a popularly-supported president who appeared to be actively and honestly attempting to root out corruption?

I wonder why that was.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
So, if I can sum this up, the legislature, some of them up for corruption charges were it not for their parliamentary immunity, removed a popularly-supported president who appeared to be actively and honestly attempting to root out corruption?

I wonder why that was.
Remember last year when the Romanian politicians complained about the criminalisation of corruption, asking to make it legal again? What a world

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland

The people's front of Peru, the Peruvian people's front, the Peruvian popular people's front.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland

And yet several perfectly functional parliamentary systems, including ones with no large parties exist in Europe. In those countries, no coups have been seen in a long time. I see no evidence of any relation between a many-party system and political violence and coups, just because both happened in Peru.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
And yet several perfectly functional parliamentary systems, including ones with no large parties exist in Europe. In those countries, no coups have been seen in a long time. I see no evidence of any relation between a many-party system and political violence and coups, just because both happened in Peru.
I don't want to speak for Iron but I don't think he's saying that this is the inevitable result of parliamentary government, just that this is the worst case scenario. Which yeah it is. most "functional" parliaments are only that way because they are in essence a two party system.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
I don't want to speak for Iron but I don't think he's saying that this is the inevitable result of parliamentary government, just that this is the worst case scenario. Which yeah it is. most "functional" parliaments are only that way because they are in essence a two party system.
Well the scenario doesn't seem very particular for parliamentary systems either. The united states congress can also get rid of presidents it doesn't like. It has the advantage that he would be replaced with the vice president who is usually similar and loyal enough to the president to not make it matter, but different barriers can work perfectly well in other systems. In the Netherlands, where I am from, if a comparable scenario were to occur, there would be elections or at worst a new PM would be the appointed by the 'second chamber' (technically by the king but if he were to try to circumvent the will of parliament he'd quickly learn to understand the distinction between de jure power and de facto power). And even in the specifics of this case it isn't remotely clear to me why this is the result of a many party situation.

Your last sentence appears to be pure fantasy. Made up and not fact checked even though it took me less than a minute to find this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_with_coalition_governments Like seriously, did I misinterpret something here? Do you think all of these countries have disfunctional government or just the dozen or so among them with parliamentary systems?

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Thanks, that was my intention.
Well the scenario doesn't seem very particular for parliamentary systems either. The united states congress can also get rid of presidents it doesn't like. It has the advantage that he would be replaced with the vice president who is usually similar and loyal enough to the president to not make it matter, but different barriers can work perfectly well in other systems. In the Netherlands, where I am from, if a comparable scenario were to occur, there would be elections or at worst a new PM would be the appointed by the 'second chamber' (technically by the king but if he were to try to circumvent the will of parliament he'd quickly learn to understand the distinction between de jure power and de facto power). And even in the specifics of this case it isn't remotely clear to me why this is the result of a many party situation.

Your last sentence appears to be pure fantasy. Made up and not fact checked even though it took me less than a minute to find this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_with_coalition_governments Like seriously, did I misinterpret something here? Do you think all of these countries have disfunctional government or just the dozen or so among them with parliamentary systems?
First thing to reconsider is that people's opinions are not attacks against you or your identity, which is why you shouldn't react defensively to them. I said this was the BEST example of the POTENTIAL failures of a parliamentary system. I can say it's the EXTREME example of a failure of the parliamentary system. The US isn't a parliamentary system, as well. Peru itself has a somewhat strange governing system, you can look it up yourself. I assume English isn't your first language, it isn't mine either. You may misunderstand people's intentions or have your posts be misunderstood. Hey, welcome to escapist.
If you just say Peru, then clearly you are the definition of what it means to be Peruvian and they should follow your lead.
rent free.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
I do find coup bizarre in the sense that it basically happened because Congress said "no you" and booted the president out.

Has there ever been a coup like this before?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I do find coup bizarre in the sense that it basically happened because Congress said "no you" and booted the president out.

Has there ever been a coup like this before?
Usually coups are lead by someone, not by committee. Cant think of one off the top of my head. Usually its a vote of no confidence

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I'm gonna need to see their official permit for rebellion and citations for the peaceful bureacratic measures they've taken for the past 20 years before I can endorse these terrorists.
You joke, but if you want to compare, these aren't terrorists. These are protesters protesting, not political loyalists trying to starve a city to death.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
You joke, but if you want to compare, these aren't terrorists. These are protesters protesting, not political loyalists trying to starve a city to death.
Lima is too big to try that shit out anyway.