Pet peeves that make you nerd rage

Eliwood10

Feb 4, 2013
It annoys me to no end that most people spell "Spiderman" instead of "Spider-Man". The character has been around for over 50 years, is easily one of the most recognizable superheroes, and has a new movie out (meaning his name is plastered over almost every movie theater and McDonald's in the world) and still no one in the general public can seem to spell his name right. It's a minor thing but it has always bugged the hell out of me.

So do you any of you have similar pet peeves that send you spiraling into a horrible nerd rage?

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Not really "nerd" rage but when people call football "soccer". Its always been called football, its a sport in which you primarily move a "ball" using your "foot"

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
"Why didn't the Eagles just take them the whole way?"

Shut. Up. Just shut up, shut up, shut up!

I also get very defensive about Star Wars. In a Lord of the Rings class back in college, this student (who was that type of student who liked to prove he knew more than anyone else, including the teacher, about Lord of the Rings) said that Star Wars was a waste of time and that no one should bother watching it. My friends all backed away from me slightly in the class at that point. They said the look on my face scared them.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Time travel and multiple universes.

Not really "nerd rage" levels of anger, but I lose interest in any show, book, movie, game, etc. that uses either of the two as a central device in their plots.

Even within their own fictional setting, the two things listed above make no sense - specifically traveling to the past, and being able to jump between universes. Those two are logically flawed, no matter what the explanation is.

Then again, I'm okay with stuff like magic or super-strength / powers. No idea why my mind thinks those are completely fine, yet the former stuff isn't.

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
When people on the internet start a sentence with "welp."

It genuinely makes me twitch. The word is "well" and I'm pretty sure you're familiar with it.
From what I've gathered, the pause that usually follows "well" in sentences that begin with it has mutated into a 'p'. In a cruel twist. it is then often further misused by people who correctly recognize that it is not a word, but "whelp" is.

"Whelp, I guess I won't" - aaand right then and there I've stopped reading what you've written, and I will probably close the browser tab in contempt.

It is very childish and could probably be quite accurately described as a neurosis of some kind. I don't care. If you use the non-word "welp" you are a word murderer.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I don't know if this counts, different kind of nerd rage I guess, but it really bugs me when someone describes themselves as a professional when they're a student.

Especially when people describe themselves as historians or something.

I did an undergrad and a masters in history, I would never describe myself as one because I never worked professionally as one.
You don't call yourself a lawyer if you're doing a law undergraduate. You're a medical student before you qualify, not a doctor.

I'm currently an archives student, not an archivist, not yet.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Wow, OP, that's what I was gonna write.

I do have another though: When people claim that big-eyed manga characters "look white." They don't, people. No white person loots like that.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Eliwood10 said:
It annoys me to no end that most people spell "Spiderman" instead of "Spider-Man". The character has been around for over 50 years, is easily one of the most recognizable superheroes, and has a new movie out (meaning his name is plastered over almost every movie theater and McDonald's in the world) and still no one in the general public can seem to spell his name right. It's a minor thing but it has always bugged the hell out of me.

So do you any of you have similar pet peeves that send you spiraling into a horrible nerd rage?
Does that mean that in case of a thread C-F we call for our "Spidermod" or "Spider-mod"?

OT; whenever someone invokes the "This is for emphasis, *****!" [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThisIsForEmphasisBitch] trope. Seriously, adding "*****" to the end of the sentence doesn't make you profound, for the love of Uncle Ben's underpants!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I cringe internally whenever I have to explain what game my arm tattoo comes from. It kind of disappoints me that Freelancer is an unknown game to the masses but I do get angry when people say its very hipster of me to get a tattoo from a game they've never heard of. I'm not a damn hipster, I just have been playing games for a while! I hate it when people's eyes glaze over when I explain the game isn't from a console. Its as if they're looking at me and saying "Then it isn't a game worth talking about.".

In fact, let's just put the whole media format war thing here. I don't give a shit about console vs PC vs mobile vs banana or whatever. Stop trying to recruit me to one side or another! I have no interest in bashing on one medium of gaming just to make me feel more secure about another medium I prefer. I derive pleasure from gaming, not about arguing about gaming. Leave me out of it.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Klumpfot said:
Welp, guilty as charged. I'm sorry, I couldn't resist, and I know this is going to bite me in the ass soon.

OT: Specifially nerd stuff? There goes the "expresso" thing and the "Why do you like metal, it's just noise?" argument. Ooh, I know!

"Anime's all about tentacle rape and/or loud, stupid action heroes." That drives me absolutely fucking mental because not only is it wrong, it's almost exclusively said by people that would enjoy anime series that I know about. For example, one of my roommates is vehemently anti-anime, but he adores Tarantino movies so I'm positive he'd like Baccano! and since Baccano! is anime, he won't like it. It's not the fact that he's ignoring recommendations, that's none of my concern, it's when someone purposefully ignores a medium because of some bullshit preconception they have.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Redlin5 said:
In fact, let's just put the whole media format war thing here. I don't give a shit about console vs PC vs mobile vs banana or whatever. Stop trying to recruit me to one side or another! I have no interest in bashing on one medium of gaming just to make me feel more secure about another medium I prefer. I derive pleasure from gaming, not about arguing about gaming. Leave me out of it.
HERE HERE!Stupid media format war.

OT: People asking me what my Doctor Who tattoo is because people out here apparently don't watch Classic Doctor Who and don't know the Seal of Rassilon. And people who decide to chastise me for having as many piercings as I do. The "why didn't they take the eagles" argument for The Hobbit, the people who believe that people who NEED to die in The Hobbit shouldn't because "the character is really sexy", people who ask me how I can manage to read so much because "it's so boring", the people who tell me I can't like Star Wars/video games/comics because I'm a "girl". Oh and people who tell me that I can't do/like/wear something because I'm fat and therefore shouldn't.

TheNewGuy

Nov 18, 2012
Queen Michael said:

I do have another though: When people claim that big-eyed manga characters "look white." They don't, people. No white person loots like that.
To be fair they don't exactly look Asian either. Their features tend to be pretty ambiguous really.

As for me, I don't get pissed off that easily really.

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
mitchell271 said:
Klumpfot said:
Welp, guilty as charged. I'm sorry, I couldn't resist, and I know this is going to bite me in the ass soon.
[HEADING=2]Rage.[/HEADING]
It wasn't entirely unexpected. As a thank-you for letting me vent my rage valve, here's some nice music that fits my mood perfectly!

Incidentally, the captcha is "you win".
Touché, Internet. Touché.

P.S. Another nerdy pet peeve emerged in my head; the opinion that people who don't share your interests and/or experiences must be dumb. Unfortunately, I once expressed ignorance at what the hell clopping is. Not only am I now a less innocent person than I once was, I also learned that deficient knowledge of the jargon of obscure Internet subcultures constitutes a major personality flaw.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
TheNewGuy said:
Queen Michael said:

To be fair they don't exactly look Asian either. Their features tend to be pretty ambiguous really.
That's because, if you don't add clues to ethnicity, they look "default". What "default" happens to be varies from place to place.

As an aside, the earliest lego face were black smiley faces on yellow, to represent generic people. Then they later had separate female, and black faces, because black or female wasn't generic.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Klumpfot said:
mitchell271 said:
Klumpfot said:
[HEADING=2]Rage.[/HEADING]
It wasn't entirely unexpected. As a thank-you for letting me vent my rage valve, here's some nice music that fits my mood perfectly!

Mmmm, Devin Townsend. I hear that if you sing along to Ziltoid in reverse, he appears and gives you one of his signature Peavey guitars.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
People who think movies/video games/really anything affiliated with nerd stuff is better when it's "darker" (to be more specific: dark themes, sadness, blood, edgy dialogue, ect.).

The only example I can think of at the moment is a time I had an argument with a class mate back in highschool who said Persona 3 was better than Persona 4 because it was "darker". Apparently charm, better written characters, and better gameplay don't matter if it's not "DARK UN GRITTY" enough. Oh yeah, DmC was another. "It's dark and edgy, thus meaning better than the originals in every way". God, I get headaches from such shallow angsty teen-like arguments.

I also cringe when people pronounce Mario as "Meh-rio". Eeeeeeehw

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
mitchell271 said:
Mmmm, Devin Townsend. I hear that if you sing along to Ziltoid in reverse, he appears and gives you one of his signature Peavey guitars.
Well, actually, City was recorded primarily using Dev's ESP Explorer guitar.
Didn't you read the booklet for the remastered edition of the album?

I know you never wrote anything contrary to what I said, but playful snobbishness is ever so fun. :3
Let's stop hijacking the thread, though.

My final nerdy pet peeve is when people cling to the golden mean fallacy. It's that curious phenomenon where people think that the most reasonable position is always in the middle of the most extreme claims. If your contribution to a discussion begins and ends with "both sides have a point", you make me sad and gassy.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
JagermanXcell said:
People who think movies/video games/really anything affiliated with nerd stuff is better when it's "darker" (to be more specific: dark themes, sadness, blood, edgy dialogue, ect.).
Argh, yes. Or making things more "adult" by sticking gratuitous sex, swearing and violence in.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Klumpfot said:
Well, actually, City was recorded primarily using Dev's ESP Explorer guitar.
Didn't you read the booklet for the remastered edition of the album?

I know you never wrote anything contrary to what I said, but playful snobbishness is ever so fun. :3
Let's stop hijacking the thread, though.
*drops monocle* Well I never! *sips 40yo. brandy*

It is now the property of Devin Townsend and Ziltoid the Omniscient! BOW BEFORE YOUR LORDS!
And he used the Peavey one on Ziltoid :p Why he switched from ESP to Peavey though, I'll have no idea. ESP guitars >>> Peavey guitars

Haunted Serenity

Jul 18, 2009
When people misquote history or change facts to suit their idea or how they think it happened. I have several books on my favourite subjects of history so when that happens I can smash them in the face and scream "learn via osmosis"

Knowledge is power, especially in heavy book form.