PETA Dumps on Battlefield 3

Hellsen

Feb 11, 2011
Are they going to make an ad with hot naked people in it to express their anger over it?

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
The rat bites your finger, if you don't stab it, then a guard hears it, and shoots you. Is this really such an issue?

deckai

Oct 26, 2009
Sober Thal said:
EDIT: It's much more fun to just 'go with it' sometimes ; )

Oh god, it's the birth of a new Rat King!

I need to be ready...

*starts training with the virtual-rat-killing simulation aka Battlefield 3*

If you want to know what a "Rat King" is [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_king_(folklore)]

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
super snippery
Andy? can i ask something?

It's PETA whining again ... so ... this is news how?

they complain about ever thing animal related, wouldn't it be better to ignore them at this point?

of and: i don't kill every rat i see, oh no no good sir

:D i kill every/thing one not 'me shaped'

equality people equality

bassie302

Feb 3, 2008
oh peta, you so silly...

If they get their panties in a bunch over a single rat, I wonder what will happen when they see some of the automated slaughterhouses people have constructed in minecraft.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
If I remember right, the rat attacked first.

If you had not killed the rat, said rat (which was most likely in line with the PLR) would have given you the Plague or some shit, or maybe it would have realized that it was no match for you, therefore alerting the PLR to your presence. You would have died, and then the terrorists would have blown up New York. That "rat" was in league with Terrorists.

Therefore, PETA supports terrorism.

Aussiejed

Sep 7, 2010
Another blow by PETA in its continual battle to be relevant.

"What's new guys?"
"Well, Battlefield 3 just came out."
"Oh! All the cool kids will be playing that! Any way we can leverage some press coverage off it?"
"Well at one point you have to stab a rat..."
"STOP THE PRESSES!"

Scde2

Has gone too far in a few places
Mar 25, 2010
Pfft! If it wasn't for rat-killing[sup][sub]Or mice, or gophers, or moles, or voles, or squirrels, or pigeons, or many different kinds of insects >.>[/sub][/sup] I would be out of a job.

And hey, the rat instigated it! Fucker shouldn't have tried biting a guy with a knife. Oh PETA...

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
First: PETA. I don't know anyone who doesn't think PETA is a gigantic (unfunny) joke. I'ved lived with vegetarians, vegans, and animal welfare advocates and I have yet to see a single one who doesn't think that PETA is a ridiculous waste of time and money. Instead of dealing with actually pressing issues, they just try to get involved with anything new and popular, no matter how minor, to spread brand recognition. This is presumably to increase awareness of larger issues, but you'd think by now they'd realize that it doesn't really work when they're advertising outrage over such stupid things.

Second: Really? A rat in a ventilation duct? REALLY? I mean yes, I can see why PETA would be against this, but they must have more pressing issues to deal with. On the scale of things to be concerned with regarding animal safety this is like a negative ten. What next PETA, press releases about a movie where someone swatted a fly? There are so many much bigger problems to deal with and it blows my mind that they're wasting time on something like this (this is why no one takes them seriously).

Third: They're acting as though there wasn't a reason to kill it. He was trying to silently creep through some vents and was being bitten. That can interfere with you ability to sneak past a bunch of people with guns who want to kill you. Whether you think the killing is justified by this is one issue, but acting as though he just killed it for no reason is dumb.

Four: The inevitable problem with PETA and other groups' criticisms of animal violence in popular media: this is a game about mowing down groups of humans. I guess you can point out that the humans have involved themselves in this whereas the animals are mostly innocent bystanders, but if you're concerned about violence (especially if you're going to play the "this is where kids get violent ideas" card), shouldn't you maybe mention the people being killed somewhere?

Five: Now video games aren't just teaching kids to murder each other, they're also teaching kids to murder animals.

(To be fair, I did pause at the rat killing and it did seem sort of superfluous - it was sort of gross and added more or less nothing to the game.)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
PETA Dumps on Battlefield 3
Me: "It's the rat, isn't it?"

Andy Chalk said:
PETA is officially unhappy with Battlefield 3 because of a callous, brutal and utterly inhumane sequence of rat-stabbing.
Clearly, I'm psychic.

Anyways, my proposal (beyond the whole "ignore them/wait for them to commit mass suicide because humans are worse than animals and deserve to die" obvious answer) is to lock them in a room filled with Daggerfall rats for one hour.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/17166/1081157-daggerfallrat.jpg

They'll be given a knife, and are welcome to not attack the rats if they wish.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
You....idiots.

If you've not played that set piece, you are given the option of stabbing a rat or getting gunned down like a rat.

That's not cruelty. That's survival.

I'll say again; you idiots.
I felt bad.

Being forced to kill an innocent animal. After all. I was in its sewer.

Made me go off the Campaign.

I just stick to Multiplayer now and try to avoid damaging the flower pots and trees.

Ashannon Blackthorn

Sep 5, 2011
PETA cares about money more than animal rights. You don't think they'll milk this for donations like they do every other pet cause they have? Just another shock factor from the groups that brought you linking slaughterhouses to the Holocaust...

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
H-hey hey PETA wait a second. My actions were totally defendable aite?

The rats in Oblivion were ginormous and attacked me FIRST. Also, in Metal Gear Solid, they dropped rations >_>

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
Why isn't PETA up in arms over the uncountable numbers of boars killed everyday in MMO's simply for their intestines, hides or meager amounts of xp?

Next they're gonna try and tell me that they really care about giant spiders.

boyvirgo666

May 12, 2009
TimeLord said:
I... uh... right.... ok.

Is this really the best use of anyones time? Unless I play BF3 then have the sudden urge to go murder lots of rats for giggles I think the poor rats are going to be fine PETA.

Andy Chalk said:
Battlefield 3 publisher Electronic Arts has not yet commented on the PETA criticism, and is not expected to.
If I was an EA employee, I wouldn't comment either, I'd be too busy laughing. Hell, I'm not an EA employee and I'm too busy laughing!
I would try to offend PETA more, $1.00 DLC for an knife with a dead rat on it that screams in pain when you stab someone.

Adam28

Feb 28, 2011
Woah, hang on, you kill animals, especially rats in pretty much every RPG out there and they are attacking battlefield 3 just for this one rat. Guessing they will be attacking Skyrim friday huh?

Sagacious Zhu

Oct 17, 2011
Goddamnit, PETA, pick your battles! You accomplish NOTHING by making this inane, pointless stab at social commentary and only make your organization look (even more) foolish.