PETA Gives Award to "Animal-Friendly" Adult Swim

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
PETA Gives Award to "Animal-Friendly" Adult Swim

PETA, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, has given Adult Swim a "Proggy" award for their animal friendly flash games.

The Proggy Awards, a shortening of the word "progress", are given out to "recognize companies, people, and products for innovative and animal-friendly achievements," and has been awarded to games such as Fable II and The Sims 3. Adult Swim was honored in the "Most Animal-Friendly Video Games" category for the games Polar Bear Payback, in which the player helps a polar bear hunt down and maul baby seal hunters, and Tofu Hunter, a parody of games like Deer Hunter.

Ingrid E. Newkirk, president of PETA, said of the games, "By portraying the killing of animals for sport, food, or fur in a negative way, these games encourage players to give animals a break and stop eating, wearing, and shooting them."

Not to split hairs, but aren't humans animals? I don't think a game featuring the brutal and bloody killing of humans can really qualify as "animal-friendly", if that is the case.

I hate to say it, but it looks like Adult Swim's humor actually went over PETA's head.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5720472/peta-praises-adult-swim-flash-games-for-being-animal-friendly]

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
I played some of those games... I kinda got the impression that they were making fun of PETA.

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
Peta is trying SO hard to make itself relevant again (if it ever truly was), attacking/commending videogames at random.

My guess is that it's part of some push to appeal to the 'new generation' or what-have-you. Though, if that is the case, it's a fail of epic proportions.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Wow. Now we just have to wait for Adult Swim to make some extremely animal-unfriendly games to make sure they're in no way associated to PETA.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
They forgot Robot Unicorn Attack - you repopulate the world with dolphins by getting multiples of 5000 points, and you are reminded of the existence of unicorns! Definitely a plus for animal treatment!

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
And instead we should hunt, kill, eat and wear people? Alright... And last time I checked, humans are animals (I hope I didn't offend anyone by saying that Animals are just as low creatures as Humans are...)

And hold on!!! Animals like eating other animals, why ain't PETA hunting down the wolf that killed 8 sheep last summer in Finland?

I have played trough most of those games, and I must admit I really wanted to do some roast after Fable 2, so I did some roast... I am sure you could eat BBQ in Sims?

To be honest if I would make a game, I wouldn't accept any reward from PETA, long as they admit being connected to animal liberation front and support destroying peoples lives, or let a specie run wild in a enviroment that is unnatural to it and reek havoc in the local ecosystem...

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I never understood people who say doing something in a game encourages it in reality...I've shot tons of Dogs in games (wolfenstein 3D, Fallout 3 and NV, Black Ops) and I've never once ...even fired a gun never the less hurt a dog.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
But - but - that unicorn EXPLODES at the end of each game!

(Note, I have only played "that one" Adult Swim game.)

skitzo van

Mar 20, 2009
Wasn't there a game where the objective was to kill yourself in under a minute? Doesn't seem to animal friendly considering we're animals.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
SinisterGehe said:
And hold on!!! Animals like eating other animals, why ain't PETA hunting down the wolf that killed 8 sheep last summer in Finland?
They were briefly considering weaning all carnivores onto "humane" food. Yes, really.

Here's the one big question, though: WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE PLANTS?!

Oct 14, 2010
It disturbs me that, for an organization that is against killing and violence toward animals, they love and fill their own "games" with blood. Lots and lots of blood.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I think these games go right over PETA's heads, it's like someone tells them about one small aspect of the game and they base their judgements on that, rather than playing the games for themselves.

They gave Fable II the award despite it encouraging the hunting of rabbits for fun, there was even an achievement for going out of your way to kill a rabbit.

Fable III got nominated for one of these blinkered awards too, despite having more canine servitude, chicken kicking, endangered species slaughter and destruction of the environment for profit than the previous one.

But the Fable games allows the players to eat Tofu for positive morality, so that's enough for PETA to love it.

I'm surprised they haven't nominated Red Dead Redemption for a "Proggy" award, because in that when you shoot a horse Marston says "What am I doing?" and when you skin an animal he'll comment on how disgusting it is, so clearly Marston and RDR are on the same page as PETA too.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
CJ1145 said:
Wow. Now we just have to wait for Adult Swim to make some extremely animal-unfriendly games to make sure they're in no way associated to PETA.
Yeah pretty much.

That smug grin on the Seal is classic. CLASSIC!
Anyway, my initial reaction tho this is PETA trying to make friends, in which it will surely fail.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Note to PETA: these games are made to make fun of you.

lacktheknack said:
SinisterGehe said:
They were briefly considering weaning all carnivores onto "humane" food. Yes, really.

Here's the one big question, though: WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE PLANTS?!
I did and now they defend my house from Zombies

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
DazBurger said:
Fable 2?.. The game where you can torment chickens for fun and achievements?
Yup'

OT: PETA really isn't that smart is are they DUUR DUUUR.