PETA: Mario is Pro Fur

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
PETA: Mario is Pro Fur

Everyone's favorite animal rights activists have once again turned their withering gaze to video games. This time they're taking issue with Mario's famous tanooki suit.

Fresh from the outrage [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114076-PETA-Dumps-on-Battlefield-3] over the brutal rodent-murder featured in DICE's Battlefield 3, PETA has found another franchise [http://features.peta.org/mario-kills-tanooki/] to rail against.

From their website:

When on a mission to rescue the princess, Mario has been known to use any means necessary to defeat his enemy-even wearing the skin of a raccoon dog to give him special powers.

Tanooki may be just a "suit" in Mario games, but in real life, tanuki are raccoon dogs who are skinned alive for their fur.
The site even features a charming little flash game, in which a skinless tanooki chases a grisly, fur-draped Mario through a nightmarish, blood-soaked version of the mushroom kingdom. The game is sure to delight children everywhere right up until Nintendo's lawyers get wind of it. Other games from the PETA line-up include Super Tofu boy [http://features.peta.org/super-meat-boy-parody/] and the Super Chick Sisters. [http://www.mccruelty.com/SuperChickSisters.aspx]

Mario first donned the tanooki suit, which is admittedly quite grim when you think about it, back in Super Mario Bros 3, but he retired it in favor of the Cape in Super Mario World. The suit returned, much to the delight of fans, in the recent Super Mario 3D Land. Personally I find it far more disturbing that Mario lives in a land populated with mushroom people yet he has no qualms about eating mushrooms to grow larger, that raises some very difficult questions.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
And PETA is pro animal enuthenasia. It's funny how serious these guys are sometimes.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Oh PETA, when will you learn.
Let's make this about a much better Peta.

Smeagol150

Emperor of the Moon
Oct 20, 2008
That's completely ridiculous. I'm all for animal's rights, but PETA is a farce of an organization. Seriously, I loved the tanooki suit and still do. Nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Personally I find it far more disturbing that Mario lives in a land populated with mushroom people yet he has no qualms about eating mushrooms to grow larger, that raises some very difficult questions.
It all makes sense now!

OT: did anyone else find the description of the "flash game" that PETA has relating to this really horrifying? That doesn't make me agree with them, it just seems disgusting.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Oh PETA, always picking fights with people who don't give a crap about your message.

[sub][sub]Still, I just know the internet will blow this up and give them the attention they so desperately want.[/sub][/sub]

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Ok...let me get this straight. Mario has been stomping on turtles for decades and you decide to pass up the low hanging fruit in exchange for complaining about a fur suit (the majority of fur suits aren't made of real fur...) that he acquires by stealing a leaf out of a brick.

Got it.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
Peta is once again being insane. But on the bright side I never knew that Tanuki were real animals until today. So at least I learned something.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
I'll just say the exact same thing I did in the last PETA news item:
AND NOT A SINGLE SHIT WAS GIVEN THAT DAY.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Will PETA ever realise that they completely retarded and not effective in their goals at all?

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
One has to wonder who in Peta draws all these disturbing flash and images. THEY HAVE SICK MINDS BECAUSE THEY ALL DRAW THE DEATH OF ANIMALS.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I, erhm, wait, what is this... I don't even... There are no words...

Fail. Failure on so many levels. PETA please remove your head from your ass and go find an issue that actually matters to go protest.