Peter Molyneux Doesn't Like Demos

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Peter Molyneux Doesn't Like Demos

Fable [http://fable.lionhead.com/] designer Peter Molyneux says demos are "the death knell of experiences," so he's experimenting with a new way to entice gamers that might sound awfully familiar to the old-timers in the crowd.

The episodic release of yesterday [http://www.lionhead.com/Fable2/], giving the multitudes of gamers who haven't yet sampled its delights the opportunity to do so in small, easily digestible bites. The reason for doing all this a year after the game was first released, Molyneux said, was simple: He wanted to get it out to more people but he just doesn't like demos. At all.

"I hate demos. I think demos are the death knell of experiences," he said in an interview with Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/features/interview-peter-molyneux?page=0%2C0]. "Over the years I've done demos and they've either completely ruined the game, given too much to the player, or they've confused people, so I said that we should give away the very first 45 minutes of the game, completely free, and just before you get to Bowerstone up comes this message saying, 'If you want to continue playing press this button, but if you want to buy the rest of the game, press this'. So people that are interested but don't want to commit to the full purchase can play more, and people that are into it can buy all of it, and they don't lose experience or gold they've collected."

Now call me crazy if you like but Molyneux's plan to attract new gamers to Fable sounds very much to me like one that was popular a couple decades ago. I remember back in, oh, 1993 or so, playing a game that was broken up into three chapters, the first of which was free; if you liked it, you could order a copy of the full game from the developer. The guys who made it did pretty well for themselves - bought a couple of Ferraris, as I recall - but for one reason or another that method of game distribution fell by the wayside years ago. I think it'd be fantastic to see it make a comeback but as far as ideas go, Molyneux isn't breaking any new ground here.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
See, I always felt he was a great mind who just thought in colors that did not yet exist. I think this is a great way to do it. I always kinda hated Demos in that "If I get the game, Ill have to do this again..." but this way eliminates that. (For pre-release demos, they could let you save the deom progress to use when the game is released perhaps)

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
What game/developers are you referring to at the end there?

I'm reasonably new in my knowledge of the industry.

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
fletch_talon said:

Doom/id Sofware.

I just don't see how that's any different from a demo. You get to play part of the game for free.

Ryuk2

Sep 27, 2009
I don't like demos, but i think this idea is worst than demos. It's better if they just show the gameplay and tell a bit about story in commercials, like in Youtube or/and gamespot. Put it on the first page and you'll get a lot of views. Isn't 45 min (probably more like 10 min) the same thing as demo? Sure you can continue the game with what you started, but what's the point?

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
CUnk said:
fletch_talon said:

Doom/id Sofware.

I just don't see how that's any different from a demo. You get to play part of the game for free.
Thanks I appreciate it.

Also I think the point that's being made is that with games like Fable, you create a character and want to see that character develop. A demo system limits your ability to do this, because usually when you buy the full version you have to start from scratch.

Its like the difference between a demo disc you get from a magazine, and the WoW trial. When your 14 days or whatever are up in the WoW trial, you have to buy the game, but you get to continue with the same character.

Apart from that, yeah its the same as a demo, so I dunno what the fuss is about.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
What. The. Fudgestickle
Molyneux is in serious need of a lecture called "Live in the present"

EDIT: For the love of fudge (I got it in my head for some reason), just release a demo, it works for every OTHER game developer
Looks like you took alot of that article in...

Oh, and to clarify, I was being sarcastic.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
TheNamlessGuy said:
What. The. Fudgestickle
Molyneux is in serious need of a lecture called "Live in the present"

EDIT: For the love of fudge (I got it in my head for some reason), just release a demo, it works for every OTHER game developer
Why should he? I like his idea, and its his choice, he can do whatever he wants with his games, even overhype them if he so wishes.

They're still fun.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Doesn't sound any different to a demo to me.

Maybe he doesn't like them because they expose his hype as sweet nothings and lies?

Bediz

Apr 20, 2009
Why not something like the Jedi Knight 2 demo? It was a mini-level with a few activated Force powers and weapons. It gave a pretty good idea of gameplay without giving away any of the story.

He raises a decent point, but I have to consider the source. Molyneux has rode the train of his own hype right off the edge of sanity.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
Does Molyneux not remember the days of shareware? This is what demoes and shareware used to be like -- the same game, but with only the first couple of levels. Also, this is what the XBOX Live demoes I've played are exactly like.

Admittedly, I haven't played demoes of any AAA titles in many years. I've seen a few explained as sort of a sample level, somewhere deep in the game, and only about 10 minutes long. Believe me, us gamers hate those demoes as much as Peter does -- it's the studios who insist on putting that shit out, if they release a demo at all.

I think a lot of developers are starting to replace demoes with betas. That's not necessarily a good thing, though, because betas are all about finding defects, and demoes should be about putting your best foot forward. I've seen many reviews that ended on a sour note because of all the defects found in the beta. This usually gets excused as, "Oh, it's a beta, it's expected to have defects," but then, without a demo, how do we know they've fixed them before the release?

Yes, please, return to the days of shareware. Then, instead of people pirating games just to try them out (and continue using them for free because they have the whole thing anyway), they'll get hooked just enough to have to purchase. Either that, or they'll see how shitty the game is and save their money for something worthwhile.

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
I am in full support of a return to shareware. It's way more fair than a too-short demo, with content you have to repeat once you get the full game, and it allows us gamers on a budget to experience all kinds of games we would never even think of picking up.

Molyneaux may not be breaking any new ground, but he certainly should get credit for talking a small step towards bringing a really great idea from the past--which was abandoned for no good reason--back.

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
First thing that came to mind when I read that end part was Commander Keen. I think I beat it once, and only once.

My dad had all the high scores on that game.