Peter Molyneux: Natal Bigger Than The Mouse

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Peter Molyneux: Natal Bigger Than The Mouse

Peter Molyneux, the designer of Fable [http://www.amazon.com/Fable-Lost-Chapters-Xbox/dp/B0001UEHP8/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280156832&sr=1-1], said that Microsoft's Project Natal could be as game-changing as the introduction of the mouse to the PC.

Peter Molyneux is nothing but opinionated and he offers his assessment of the new motion control system for the Xbox 360, which is due out this fall. He likens Natal to another revolutionary human interface device, the mouse, and said that Natal could offer just as dramatic a shift in how we communicate with our computing devices. As the head of Lionhead Games (owned by Microsoft) and the Creative Director of Microsoft Game Studios, Molyneux's views on the subject of Project Natal have to be taken with a wheelbarrow of salt.

"I'm enthusiastic about the change that Natal gives," Molyneux said. "If you're thinking that Natal is going to give you another version of an FPS, you're just not thinking broadly enough." He went on:

After all, it was the invention of the mouse that gave us computing as it is today - not the invention of the microprocessor.

The mouse was the real revolution of the PC - not the Intel processor. And who's to say Natal couldn't end up creating something you and I can't even imagine now. It forces us to approach technology in a completely different way. Before the mouse, we only had the keyboard.

And things like Natal can be a bigger change.

Molyneux doesn't just blow sunshine regarding Natal. He cautions that designers may not be ready for its greatness at first, and that it may take time to shift to the new paradigm.

"The first wave of titles that come out will be really good and really polished and great, but they'll be kind of the obvious stuff," he said. "Even when a new console comes out it takes us a while to get used to it and get our heads around it. I think when something like Natal comes out it really takes a while."

Source: Videogamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/molyneux_natal_can_be_a_bigger_change_than_the_mouse.html]

BonerMacTittyPants

Aug 3, 2009
Anyone remember the EyeToy?

...Anyone?

Yeah, this guy lost all creditability long time ago. He should resurrect Bullfrog and start making good games again. Currently he puts to much mind and artsy-shmansy crap into everything he makes.

Natal will go the same path as the Wii - A casual gimmick that had lots of potential and a chance of becoming the next big thing. Though no one gave a damn and rather than making ambitious projects, all went for a quick back with casual mini-games.

I'd like to see his face when Microsoft cuts his funds and tells him to make a peggle clone for Natal.

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
Only Peter Molyneux can spew stupidities of that caliber. He never disappoints.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I guess he's got a lot invested in this Natal thing.
Last few articles I've seen on him were about Natal and only one briefly mentioned a Fable.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I like Peter Molyneux, he always makes me smile with his absurd view of the world. Natal amazingly revolutionary? Don't think so.

era81

Jun 11, 2009
The guy is a jackass it will probably only do half of what he says it does.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I think the Natal is going to be awesome, and we'll all say "Aww we where wrong to make fun of Peter Molyneux. He knew exactly what he was talking about; unlike all those other times".

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Either he's just smoking tons and tons of Crack or microsoft is paying him millions of monies. Or is he just trying to make himself look good so more people will by Fable 3

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
God the more Molynuex bangs on about Natal the more terrible I think it sounds... I mean am I the only one who is just happy holding a controller?!
I really want to get a placement from my Uni at Lionhead so I can meet Peter and tell him he is a god damn idiot... And then subsequently get fired.

ParadoxBG

Dec 24, 2009
Yes, this major project of replicating something that has already been done by a company Xbox has hitherto ridiculed for doing so will be completely and mind-numbingly revolutionary. There will be temples.

BigFurry

Jul 6, 2009
I have the same opinion about Natal that I do with the Wii. I don't like to stand and wave my arms like a tard to play video games. The day the controller dies is the day I lose faith in video gaming.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Peter really does have a thing for Natal. Im scared as to what he does with it behind closed doors.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Come on now, everybody, he's got a point. It's true that the mouse changed the way we use computers. You spoiled bastards have never been forced to work in a command line environment exclusively so you don't know what a pain in the ass computers used to be, let alone how limited the games were. The Natal does have lots of potential, although there's an equal chance of it succeeding as there is of it failing. And whether or not the Natal will eventually offer us anything of worth will ultimately be up to the creative minds of developers.

Peter Molyneux, on the other hand, should focus his efforts on his true passion and develop the Molyneux Everlasting Hyperbole Machine: based on a design by Willy Wonka, this green machine runs on the dreams of fanboys and outputs a constant stream of heightened expectations followed by harrowing disappointment.