Petition to build statue of Master Chief in White House front lawn.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Why Master Chief? He's just a faceless old deathdrone, a symbol of just how awful the future have gotten in the Halo universe. I mean, he's even called a Spartan, darnit. In this day and age, a statue of an unlucky person reduced to a militaristic single-function killer bio-robot is the last thing that would look neat on the White House lawn. But then again, it is a fun little silly petition, and I think I'm just reading a bit too much into things as usual. And I'll be honest, it would be quite nice if they ever do build it, somehow.

Do give me a shout if you need a signature for a statue of Princess Celestia, however.

Oh, and another complaint. Since he's pretty much just decked out in a tin suit built by Mountain Dew or something, how much would the artist have to work with? They could give him a gun. Or a... Different gun. No hats, no fabulous boots, no nothing. That just isn't statue material.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0e/Gustav_II_Adolf4946.jpg

"That Master Chief character ain't got shit on my hat."

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
SpAc3man said:
Sorry but this is a horrendous idea. Having a small statue on a teenagers desk is fine but putting something like that on the front lawn of the leader of the US is tasteless and vulgar. Master Chief is a tool of war. The US shouldn't want to glorify a weapon of war to that degree not to mention a fictional one. It would be disrespectful of people who have fought for their country.
But they love glorifying their soldiers in their media... there's a reason war films are often backed by the pentagon.

Besides, how would it be disrespectful? No more than the gundam station in Japan. That's also a weapon of war, so is that disrespecting the Japanese Self-defence force?

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Muspelheim said:
snip

"That Master Chief character ain't got shit on my hat."
Judging from that pigeon he has enough shit on his hat to worry about as it is :p

FelixG said:
Well, dont worry, I signed this one for ya!

Cant stand those bastards...
Thanks that's one of the most worthy ones I could see at a glance tbh.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
seeing as how we are ignoring the themes accociated with the statues character
cant say i would want a master cheif but it would be hilarious so ...signed. i am canadian after all, so i can laugh at my neighbours lawn.
and if this dosnt work mabe we can make whem stick a kirby,or a giant enterprise there or a 40 foot malcom reynolds,

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

A corporation's mascot has no place in neutral territory such as any govt property. Not to mention how this statue will reflect on us because everyone will analyze it.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
It's my personal opinion that Americans are - culturally - too attached to the symbolism of the White House (and to be clear, I don't mean that to be insulting) to ever desecrate the front lawn with a statue of any kind (save perhaps a historical icon), much less one of a video game character. You can write-up a petition and get the entirety of the gaming community to sign it, and it still wouldn't happen. Hell, I think that you would be hard-pressed to even get them to make a statement about it after reaching the - what's the number, 25-30,000 votes? - that technically legally obligates them to make some kind of comment regarding it.

If anything, I think that once it's brought to the government's attention, the statement made (if any) will be something like: 'we shouldn't have let Colorado legalize marijuana.'

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
SpAc3man said:
Sorry but this is a horrendous idea. Having a small statue on a teenagers desk is fine but putting something like that on the front lawn of the leader of the US is tasteless and vulgar. Master Chief is a tool of war. The US shouldn't want to glorify a weapon of war to that degree not to mention a fictional one. It would be disrespectful of people who have fought for their country.
Award to most over-thought argument goes to...

OT: Genius. Do it.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
If you're going to have a statue of Master Chief, why not Commander Shepard? Heck, they could be brofisting right in front of the White House. Add Naked Snake/Big Boss while you're at it.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
SpAc3man said:
Most real heroes are boring, find me a living soldier who is as undeniably cool as a fictional one. Oh look someone jumped on a grenade and crippled himself so other soldiers didn't die, he's a hero. But then his usefulness as a hero is ironically destroyed by his act of being a hero. No longer can he save anyone. There needs to be someone more than a man, who can do the impossible when no-one else can.

/donttakethistooseriously

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
As cool as a Master Chief statue would be....they wouldn't allow it even if the whole country wanted it AND it fixed their national debt.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Instead of some video game fantasy super-soldier, how about a statue of...

Much better heroes than Master Chief ever could be, IMO.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
The amount of people in this thread who seem to be taking this suggestion seriously is quite worrying.
My thoughts exactly. This is reaching YouTube comments level of gullibility.

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
Here's a better petition. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/shut-down-white-house-petitions-they-never-get-sincere-response-few-read-them-they-are-ultimately/nBtJ7d4R

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Judging from that pigeon he has enough shit on his hat to worry about as it is :p
"Again?! I WILL HAVE SOMEONE'S HEAD FOR THIS! Geats, hear and obey! Your king demands a scrubbing!"

sethisjimmy said:
My thoughts exactly. This is reaching YouTube comments level of gullibility.
I'm mostly taking the piss out of the idea, myself, I wouldn't actually knuckling down and getting serious with a silly shits and giggles-petition. It's a fun little game, though. But still, you never know. Politicians aren't exactly immune to stupid ideas, are they?

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
MammothBlade said:
SpAc3man said:
Most real heroes are boring, find me a living soldier who is as undeniably cool as a fictional one. Oh look someone jumped on a grenade and crippled himself so other soldiers didn't die, he's a hero. But then his usefulness as a hero is ironically destroyed by his act of being a hero. No longer can he save anyone. There needs to be someone more than a man, who can do the impossible when no-one else can.

/donttakethistooseriously
Well... there was Kennedy.

Master Chief doesn't really have a place on the lawn of the White House. I could see a statue of him fitting in to say, the Seattle Center.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
anthony87 said:
I love me a good vidja game related joke as much as the next guy but no, this is just far too stupid.
What about here? We could put one where the Spire is! It'd definitely be better.

It's not like we care too much about our statues anyways.
[http://www.flickr.com/photos/freckledpast/4310959211/]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
SpAc3man said:
Because they're obviously incredibly serious about this.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Colour-Scientist said:
anthony87 said:
I love me a good vidja game related joke as much as the next guy but no, this is just far too stupid.
What about here? We could put one where the Spire is! It'd definitely be better.

It's not like we care too much about our statues anyways.
[http://www.flickr.com/photos/freckledpast/4310959211/]
You could be on to something there. I mean the statue idea itself isn't bad, but the White House? Kind of a shit place to put it.