Petition to build statue of Master Chief in White House front lawn.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
"...Deserves more praise for what he has done"
What, been featured in 4 videogames?

Yeah, he totally deserves praise for that. This is just sad. I'm all for awesome nerd stuff, but a petition to have it built in the Whitehouse front lawn?
Qua?
Wha?
Why?
Just buy one of the damn things and stick it in your own front lawn if it means that much to you. It'd be awesome and I'd give you a lot of respect, but asking for it to be placed on the lawn of a building that is a symbol for a nation's government?
Whaa?

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
MammothBlade said:
SpAc3man said:
Sorry but this is a horrendous idea. Having a small statue on a teenagers desk is fine but putting something like that on the front lawn of the leader of the US is tasteless and vulgar. Master Chief is a tool of war. The US shouldn't want to glorify a weapon of war to that degree not to mention a fictional one. It would be disrespectful of people who have fought for their country.
Most real heroes are boring, find me a living soldier who is as undeniably cool as a fictional one. Oh look someone jumped on a grenade and crippled himself so other soldiers didn't die, he's a hero. But then his usefulness as a hero is ironically destroyed by his act of being a hero. No longer can he save anyone. There needs to be someone more than a man, who can do the impossible when no-one else can.

/donttakethistooseriously
http://www.cracked.com/article_17019_5-real-life-soldiers-who-make-rambo-look-like-pussy.html

Bring it on fictional heroes. Mad people exist IRL too. I'd want to meet some of these guys a lot more than I would a real life Master Chief. Chief has Spartan Armour, from memory genetic engineering or something though I don't follow the lore enough to understand his background along those lines, an AI, superhuman strength and various other advantages. These guys - normal people, but pro. That deserves respect.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
OhJohnNo said:
sextus the crazy said:
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
sextus the crazy said:
Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

A corporation's mascot has no place in neutral territory such as any govt property. Not to mention how this statue will reflect on us because everyone will analyze it.
You do realize the petition was made as a joke, correct?
Not that your point isn't valid, but why pick me out of all the other people made the same point I did.

Also, I have a low opinion of some people, so yeah, I kinda expect at least part of the people who signed to be serious.
I doubt that. I think most of the people who think this is serious didn't vote and instead complained about how stupid an idea it was.
Why would they complain if they were seriously on board with the project?

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
I just want to say this real quick, because its kinda stupid. When you bring up a political issue, call them a bunch of idiots, then say "lets not talk about it", your inviting political arguments because of your speech. Im not talking discussion either, because I could discuss how those petitions are a good thing, your just trying to make people angry. So, please, stop doing that (just like alot of the escapist), and stay on topic.

OT: Kinda is funny to see this in such a serious time. Heck, a paper machete statue of him for one day would bring about alot of comic relief to the nation I believe.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
sextus the crazy said:
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
sextus the crazy said:
Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

A corporation's mascot has no place in neutral territory such as any govt property. Not to mention how this statue will reflect on us because everyone will analyze it.
You do realize the petition was made as a joke, correct?
Not that your point isn't valid, but why pick me out of all the other people made the same point I did.

Also, I have a low opinion of some people, so yeah, I kinda expect at least part of the people who signed to be serious.
Ehh, sorry, there was just so many, I just randomly picked one...
Even though I do understand your low expectation part. I'm pretty sure there are some people on their that think this is a real thing.

maxmanrules

Mar 30, 2011
SpAc3man said:
Sorry but this is a horrendous idea. Having a small statue on a teenagers desk is fine but putting something like that on the front lawn of the leader of the US is tasteless and vulgar. Master Chief is a tool of war. The US shouldn't want to glorify a weapon of war to that degree not to mention a fictional one. It would be disrespectful of people who have fought for their country.
Master Chief was designed to be a tool of war, to be used against the insurrectionists, but ends up being a hero what with all the saving humanity over and over again.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Everyone knows that the more important step for america is to accept Lincoln's history as a vampire hunter, so we must modify the lincoln memorial to add flames to his chair and an axe.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Wow, this is fucking outrageous! What kind of country do we live in where over 4000 people will sign a petition to build a monument to Master Chief... when not even 3000 people will sign a petition to make Judge Dredd's world a reality [https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/establish-new-legal-system-motorcycle-riding-judges-who-serve-police-judge-jury-and-executioner-all/QS9sBWBc]!

Seriously, the "official" White House petitions are kind of amazing. I like to think that the petition site was a brilliant idea to appease the delusional.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
MammothBlade said:
Keyword: Living

I know about all those...
Why do they have to be living? Seems like a pretty arbitrary distinction. Usually you make statues of people who have died. There's plenty of people still alive who fit that category though. Like that sniper who beat Carlos Halfcocks long range shot. And Eeben Barlow is still around as well. And Ragnar Benson is probably a good candidate as well except that almost no one knows anything about him beyond his writings and the fact that he knows a lot about weapons, combat tactics, guerrilla warfare, trapping people, and interesting information like how to permanently disable a helicopter with a little thermite. Also pretty sure that Yogendra Yadav qualifies for getting shot 3 times then climbing a vertical cliff, victoriously attacking a bunker by himself, before charging another bunker to kill the 4 Pakistani soldiers in it with hand-to-hand attacks because guns are overrated, taking another 15 bullets and getting his arm shattered and a leg broken before the rest of his squad joined in to help him take the last bunker.

sextus the crazy said:
It looks like someone just read through all of the "badass of the week" articles. :)
Never heard of it.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Mycroft Holmes said:
MammothBlade said:

Why do they have to be living? Seems like a pretty arbitrary distinction. Usually you make statues of people who have died. There's plenty of people still alive who fit that category though. Like that sniper who beat Carlos Halfcocks long range shot. And Eeben Barlow is still around as well. And Ragnar Benson is probably a good candidate as well except that almost no one knows anything about him beyond his writings and the fact that he knows a lot about weapons, combat tactics, guerrilla warfare, trapping people, and interesting information like how to permanently disable a helicopter with a little thermite. Also pretty sure that Yogendra Yadav qualifies for getting shot 3 times then climbing a vertical cliff, victoriously attacking a bunker by himself, before charging another bunker to kill the 4 Pakistani soldiers in it with hand-to-hand attacks because guns are overrated, taking another 15 bullets and getting his arm shattered and a leg broken before the rest of his squad joined in to help him take the last bunker.

sextus the crazy said:
It looks like someone just read through all of the "badass of the week" articles. :)
Never heard of it.
There was that ex cheerleader female sniper who shot a taliban, planting an IED on a patrol route, up the bum. That was pretty cool, and funny considering their view of women.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Moonlight Butterfly said:
There was that ex cheerleader female sniper who shot a taliban, planting an IED on a patrol route, up the bum. That was pretty cool, and funny considering their view of women.
Survey says: never happened.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/b/Polly-Jan-Bobseine.htm
http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/cheerleader.asp

Not only did the story never happen, but she was home-schooled and thus wasn't even a cheerleader.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Mycroft Holmes said:
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Survey says: never happened.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/b/Polly-Jan-Bobseine.htm
http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/cheerleader.asp

Not only did the story never happen, but she was home-schooled and thus wasn't even a cheerleader.
awww that's a shame it was amusing ;)

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Mycroft Holmes said:
MammothBlade said:

sextus the crazy said:
Never heard of it.
Prepare to lose all of next week.

All of said people have had an article written about them on the site or in one of his books.

http://badassoftheweek.com/

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
sextus the crazy said:
Prepare to lose all of next week.

All of said people have had an article written about them on the site or in one of his books.

http://badassoftheweek.com/
Ehhh worth glancing over I guess, but why are there fictional characters: Han Solo, Sarah Connor, Blues Brothers? And yet it does not even list Subutai who conquered more land than any other commander in the entire military history of the Earth?

Also in 2 minutes on that website I found gigantic glaring inaccuracies.

http://badassoftheweek.com/spartans.html

The Greek army at Thermopylae had 5,500-11,000 people on land alone, and even more in the Naval fight. There were 300 Spartans and a ton of Athenians, Phoceans, Arcadians and so forth. Which is a very strong force more than adequate for holding a pass. Death estimates put the Persians at around 20,000(Not the 30k the article suggest) and the Greeks at around 4,000 which is over 4x what the author thinks the Greeks even had at Thermopylae. Which is a good battle, and allowed them to win the war by stalling for time. But it really does not make them badasses, Thermopylae is one of, if not the, easiest places to defend in the entire world.

The Finnish soldiers in the winter war pulled off far more impressive feats than that. Even the English in the battle of Agincourt had a far better kill to death ratio, and that was on an open field.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Master Chief, the single most uninspired character of all time?

How about a statue of Gorgon Freeman, or Commander Shepherd (MY COMMANDER SHEPHERD), or Samus Aran, or Gandalf, James Bond, Han Solo, Neville Longbottom, I could do this all day...

Batman, Optimus Prime, a predator, The T-800, Snake, Ganondorf, Cthulhu, Darth Vader, Godzilla, The Hulk, Jesus, Diddy Kong, Pyramid Head, A Big Daddy, Santa Claus, CORTANA!

Of all things why Master Chief? He's one of the worst characters in his own series.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
Hah, imagine a Fallout like world in the distant future and people come across the Master Chief statue. Then the start to think that he may have been an important hero a long time ago.