Petition to build statue of Master Chief in White House front lawn.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
sextus the crazy said:
OhJohnNo said:
sextus the crazy said:
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
sextus the crazy said:
Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

A corporation's mascot has no place in neutral territory such as any govt property. Not to mention how this statue will reflect on us because everyone will analyze it.
You do realize the petition was made as a joke, correct?
Not that your point isn't valid, but why pick me out of all the other people made the same point I did.

Also, I have a low opinion of some people, so yeah, I kinda expect at least part of the people who signed to be serious.
I doubt that. I think most of the people who think this is serious didn't vote and instead complained about how stupid an idea it was.
Why would they complain if they were seriously on board with the project?
You missed my point. Nobody is "seriously on board with the project" because the only people who appear to actually think it's a serious proposal are objecting to it.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
That would be a terrible idea to actually implement. It would send world leaders the message that we're childish buffoons, it would be a symbol of the harsh and ugly necessities of war, and the Chief is genuinely disgusted by the idea of being honored for "doing his duty."

I still signed it because seeing the White House respond to that request would make my week.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Mycroft Holmes said:
sextus the crazy said:
Prepare to lose all of next week.

All of said people have had an article written about them on the site or in one of his books.

http://badassoftheweek.com/
Ehhh worth glancing over I guess, but why are there fictional characters: Han Solo, Sarah Connor, Blues Brothers? And yet it does not even list Subutai who conquered more land than any other commander in the entire military history of the Earth?

Also in 2 minutes on that website I found gigantic glaring inaccuracies.

http://badassoftheweek.com/spartans.html

The Greek army at Thermopylae had 5,500-11,000 people on land alone, and even more in the Naval fight. There were 300 Spartans and a ton of Athenians, Phoceans, Arcadians and so forth. Which is a very strong force more than adequate for holding a pass. Death estimates put the Persians at around 20,000(Not the 30k the article suggest) and the Greeks at around 4,000 which is over 4x what the author thinks the Greeks even had at Thermopylae. Which is a good battle, and allowed them to win the war by stalling for time. But it really does not make them badasses, Thermopylae is one of, if not the, easiest places to defend in the entire world.

The Finnish soldiers in the winter war pulled off far more impressive feats than that. Even the English in the battle of Agincourt had a far better kill to death ratio, and that was on an open field.
Shit, didn't even know the blues brothers were in there. TBH, I'd go in reverse chronological order and skip the first few years as his writing has improved since then and he doesn't do many fictional characters (like once every 2-3 years or so) Also, I think he's written about Subatai in one of his books, which is why he isn't on the site.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Hahaha do eeet! On a more serious note I know of at least one European city that has a statue of a fictional character. He was supposed to represent everything good about that country, kind of like a folk lore legend, although I don't feel that master chief would be a good representation for America.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
If the petition gets through, it will SO go on Cracked.com. Next I shall start a petition for a statue of Captain Price and Commander Shephard. Anyone game?

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Muspelheim said:
Why Master Chief? He's just a faceless old deathdrone, a symbol of just how awful the future have gotten in the Halo universe. I mean, he's even called a Spartan, darnit. In this day and age, a statue of an unlucky person reduced to a militaristic single-function killer bio-robot is the last thing that would look neat on the White House lawn.
indeed
they should put a Frank Horrigan one instead

or a SPESS MEHREEN

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
This is the single stupidest thing I've heard all week.

That said, if it was a huge Optimus Prime statue that boomed "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." In Peter Culln's voice every time someone got within 20' of it....FUCK YEA!!!!!!!! That would be LEGENDARY!!!!

FelixG said:
Darknacht said:
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
thaluikhain said:
Eh, anyone can start a petition and get people to vote on it, especially if it's silly.
True, but this is the first one that's gotten enough momentum to be shown on the website (They only show the petitions to the public if they get enough signatures beforehand)
All in all, most of the stuff on their is atleast somewhat legitiment, this is the first true comedic thing I've seen on it.
Fund research and development of the genetic engineering of cat girls for "domestic" use.
Tis truly a better use of the money.

Those pathetic 'moral' things be damned!
Okay, I could "get behind" that.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I think it would be more suited if they had a giant EA logo on there instead...

*Waits & Crickets*
Ok that wasn't funny I guess. Honestly I think they could put better characters in there...like me from Fallout 3. That guy was a holy badass send from Heaven to shoot evil people.

Or maybe Commander Shepard or Cole from Infamous?
or maybe ALL of them!

Now that would get messy. :D

*Sees the cat girl petition*
Where do I sign. XD

uhddh

Sep 27, 2011
I'd sign it for no other reason than shits and giggles.
Most real heroes are boring, find me a living soldier who is as undeniably cool as a fictional one....

/donttakethistooseriously[/quote]

But I can get you a story.

John Churchill. And English soldier in WWII who armed himself with a longbow, arrows, a claymore, a pistol and a set of bagpipes. In one battle his entire platoon was killed. As the German army approached he played a funeral song on his bagpipes. He was then captured and thrown into a concentration camp. He walked out the front gate. He got caught and thrown back in. So he walked out again. And this time he walked to France and swam the channel back to England. When he got back to military HQ he demanded immediately to be put back on the front lines. He of course had no idea that the war had ended during his little walk through the country side. He actually said "If it wasn't for those damn Yanks, we could have kept the war going another 10 years."

This guy is way cooler than Master Chief. However, he's English. So the Americans wouldn't acknowledge his existence.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Honestly, if there was any president to do this, Obama would be the one.

Yeah of course this isn't going to work, but come on. Just search through the site for all the "Impeach Obama" ones. If those could get signatures, this one has just as good of a shot.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Mad Jack Churchill is a BOSS.
Glad to see him getting some recognition.