Petition Wants "Weird Al" Yankovic For Super Bowl XLIX Half-Time Show

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Petition Wants "Weird Al" Yankovic For Super Bowl XLIX Half-Time Show

Internet petition wants NFL to book song parodist for the big game

There was a time when The Super Bowl half-time show was regarded as the joke of the event - "The Nation's Bathroom Break." But over the last decade it's become a hot venue for major musical acts, increasingly from outside what the National Football League once considered its target audience. Now, a Change.org petition [http://www.change.org/petitions/tracy-perlman-nfl-vice-president-have-weird-al-yankovic-headline-the-super-bowl-xlix-halftime-show] is rapidly accumulating signatures from fans who want the show to get Weird.

Specifically: They want the leadership of the NFL to draft famed pop-music parodist "Weird Al Yankovic" to headline this year's show. the petition [http://www.change.org/petitions/tracy-perlman-nfl-vice-president-have-weird-al-yankovic-headline-the-super-bowl-xlix-halftime-show] (which does not appear to have been started by affiliates of either the NFL itself, Mr. Yankovic or his label) points out his popularity with audiences the NFL might have difficulty drawing otherwise, and mentions the potential for other, more traditional famous musicians to join Yankovic onstage for parodies of their hits.

Originally gaining notoriety by submitting homemade comedy songs to the Dr. Demento radio show in the late-70s before scoring record deals for my "My Bologna" (a parody of "My Sharona") and "Another One Rides The Bus" ("Another One Bites The Dust.") But he shot to fame in the early days of MTV with videos that took his parodies of specific songs, artists and genres to another level. In 1989 he co-wrote and starred in the feature film comedy Epic Rap Battles of History. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iih5a2Zq_JU]

At this time, neither the NFL nor "Weird Al" Yankovic have responded to the petition.

Source: New York Post [http://nypost.com/2014/08/07/could-weird-al-perform-at-the-super-bowl/]

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Man I miss weird Al. Amish paradise was the best thing that ever happened to rap ever. I say this with NO IRONY IN MY VOICE!!!! FEEL MY SINCERITY!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

No but seriously I liked Weird Al a lot back then.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Kameburger said:
Man I miss weird Al. Amish paradise was the best thing that ever happened to rap ever. I say this with NO IRONY IN MY VOICE!!!! FEEL MY SINCERITY!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

He hasn't exactly been gone. He's been doing albums constantly since then. Maybe once every 5 years give or take, but he's still fairly active.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
dragongit said:
Kameburger said:

He hasn't exactly been gone. He's been doing albums constantly since then. Maybe once every 5 years give or take, but he's still fairly active.
Yeah, his stuff just isn't quite the same anymore. Except for that 30 Rock episode he was in. Quite amazing. But now that you mention it my post did make it sound like he had died or something.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I sign it for Cheese Sandwitch! Got to be better than the vast majority of what they've had before.

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
I'm for that. He'd be a better choice then who they've brought in during the past couple of years.

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
Would probably be the best 1/2 time in the past decade....which is probably why it wont happen =p

fingers crossed thou

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Halftime...everyone is trying to relax a bit...have some pop corn and suddenly everything you know is wrong pops up on the screen !

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Word Crimes should be the fucking anthem of the internet.

<youtube=8Gv0H-vPoDc>

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
I suspect the reason for this particular petition is coming a lot from the following song:
<youtube=Uq4K1N9XttY>

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
ritchards said:
I suspect the reason for this particular petition is coming a lot from the following song:
<youtube=Uq4K1N9XttY>
That and a polka send up of all the songs that have been performed at the Superbowl too. That, I would like.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
There has been no greater parody filmclip since Eat It. Watch it back to back with Beat It and be amazed.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I would love that to happen, and I don't just say that because I just listened to his new album yesterday >.>

Plus Sports Song would be perfect for the Superbowl.

Kieve

Jan 4, 2011
If it happened, it'd be the first time in ever that I actually give a damn about the half-time show.
I kinda outgrew Weird Al's stuff over the years, but I would love to see what the crazy SOB puts together for a show like that.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
ritchards said:
<youtube=Uq4K1N9XttY>
I was thinking this exact thing when I first heard about the petition. Then I went and signed it. I would love to see Weird Al do the halftime show. It would actually make me watch the Super Bowl, as I really don't give a damn at all about watching sports, but I'd enjoy watching him perform. Really I think he's one of the best musicians around as he's able to work with so many different musical genres with no apparent effort, either through parody or his original works.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Oh he definitely should be approached for it, and he should also demand to do his famous Polka medley. Best Halftime Ever.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
YES.

Admit it, all you really want to see is a massive Illuminati freakout and breakdown onstage at the Superbowl set to the tune of "Royals", if only to read the Illuminati Watchdogs have fits about it afterwards.