Phrases that piss you off

ABLb0y

New member
Aug 27, 2010
1,075
0
0
Happyninja42 said:
"That was God working through you."

Hate this when people dump their diety onto somebody's accomplishments, and co-opt the credit for the person's success to their god. Or when people say things like "You can't do *insert thing, usually overcoming an addiction* without His help" Um, sorry no, I quit my addictions just fine on my own, to say that the only way you can overcome challenges in your life is with God is an insult to everyone who actually did it on their own without your magical, invisible sky god.

I hear this a lot where I live, and it makes me chew the inside of my cheek to not say something.
Yeah, and also when people say things like 'God is on my side' and 'God wants me to succeed'. That's also pretty bad, as it sort of implies that you're special, and an Omnipotent person doesn't have better things to do than help you... I don't know, win a football match or win the baking competition than something more consequential, like... I dunno, world peace or something?
 

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
14,276
15
43
"It is what it is."

It means nothing, really. It's a non-phrase, a non-answer to a question (usually an athlete will respond with this), and it's meaningless.
 

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 7, 2020
8,577
2,934
118
IceForce said:
Alright, I thought of another phrase a bit more on topic. A phrase that DOES piss me off.

The "shitty lock" / "good key" analogy.



It just plays into sexist stereotypes, where a women who sleeps around is considered "slutty", whereas if a man does the same thing then that's perfectly fine.
Odd, I never even considered it was referring to gender sexual activities when I saw that meme until you said it did. I assumed it was just a general statement about quality of work and effectiveness.
 

conmag9

New member
Aug 4, 2008
570
0
0
Most "wise" sayings that are simply tautologies. "What will be, will be" and "It is what it is" come up frequently. I call them out just about every time.

"Could care less" instead of "couldn't care less" is another one that drives me to frustration faster than a race car with rocket jets.

There are others, no doubt. Especially the needlessly dramatic statements people often make over little things, but those aren't specific phrases so much as archetypes for phrases.
 

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
458
0
0
Happyninja42 said:
IceForce said:
Alright, I thought of another phrase a bit more on topic. A phrase that DOES piss me off.

The "shitty lock" / "good key" analogy.



It just plays into sexist stereotypes, where a women who sleeps around is considered "slutty", whereas if a man does the same thing then that's perfectly fine.
Odd, I never even considered it was referring to gender sexual activities when I saw that meme until you said it did. I assumed it was just a general statement about quality of work and effectiveness.
Then you are quite possibly one of the most innocent people I've ever run across. I am shaking my head trying to figure out how it would refer to the quality of work.
 

El Portero

New member
Mar 14, 2010
24
0
0
This one is used ad nauseam in American politics, "Jamming it down our throats."
Not only does it conjure disturbing imagery, but it's always applied hyperbolically and only serves to regress the dialogue.

Also, can everyone agree to stop saying literally? You don't know how it's used so stop trying.
 

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 7, 2020
8,577
2,934
118
Qizx said:
Happyninja42 said:
IceForce said:
Alright, I thought of another phrase a bit more on topic. A phrase that DOES piss me off.

The "shitty lock" / "good key" analogy.



It just plays into sexist stereotypes, where a women who sleeps around is considered "slutty", whereas if a man does the same thing then that's perfectly fine.
Odd, I never even considered it was referring to gender sexual activities when I saw that meme until you said it did. I assumed it was just a general statement about quality of work and effectiveness.
Then you are quite possibly one of the most innocent people I've ever run across. I am shaking my head trying to figure out how it would refer to the quality of work.
...because it's talking about a faulty lock and a key? Sorry I'm not innocent, I guess I just don't automatically see sexual references in everything presented to me, shocking I know. Not every meme is talking about sex, in fact lots of them do, and some of them are just statements that someone finds witty and clever. Observations on life. So yeah, I saw that and thought it was one of those *shrugs*.
 

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
3,114
0
0
"Deal with it." I hate that phrase so much. Usually one is told to deal with it when they are angry or complaining about something, that is the last thing you want to have told to you when you are unhappy. The few times I had someone say that to me, I literally tell them that I can't deal with hearing that, I just ask politely to have them never say it to me again.

I'll second the annoyance of "right in the childhood" or anything along those lines. Your childhood is safe people, stop being so over dramatic. You especially hear it a lot when Micheal Bay has a new movie coming out.
 

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
15,484
1,162
118
Happyninja42 said:
...because it's talking about a faulty lock and a key? Sorry I'm not innocent, I guess I just don't automatically see sexual references in everything presented to me, shocking I know. Not every meme is talking about sex, in fact lots of them do, and some of them are just statements that someone finds witty and clever. Observations on life. So yeah, I saw that and thought it was one of those *shrugs*.
Er...so you've come across people using that thing, but only in contexts that had nothing to do with sex? Huh.

El Portero said:
This one is used ad nauseam in American politics, "Jamming it down our throats."
Not only does it conjure disturbing imagery, but it's always applied hyperbolically and only serves to regress the dialogue.
Yeah, there's an awful lot of people who like making a jump from "I don't like this thing" and "I'm being raped or somesuch". There's a bit of difference between the two.
 

EyeReaper

New member
Aug 17, 2011
859
0
0
I know it isn't a particular phrase, or anything, ;but for some reason hashtags annoy me, especially in things like forums and such where they don't actually do anything.

And I know it's pretty much died out by now, but YOLO was stupid as all hell. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go yell at the kids to get off my lawn, because I'm some sort of crochety old man according to this post.
 

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
1,116
0
0
"That's just wrong!"

I usually see this used when people encounter something that isn't necessarily bad or hurtful to others, but is, at worst, unusual. I've heard this phrase used in response to the fact that there are grown adult males who watch My Little Pony, the existence of bondage fetishes, odd piercings, and many other things besides. I've even had it directed at myself for still playing Pokemon at my age.

I hate the phrase not because they disapprove of these things, but because they never provide a reason for their disapproval. They just indulge their knee-jerk reactions, with no thought as to whether or not something is truly "wrong", or if it's actually having a negative impact on anyone.
 

ClockworkPenguin

New member
Mar 29, 2012
587
0
0
conmag9 said:
Most "wise" sayings that are simply tautologies. "What will be, will be" and "It is what it is" come up frequently. I call them out just about every time.

"Could care less" instead of "couldn't care less" is another one that drives me to frustration faster than a race car with rocket jets.

There are others, no doubt. Especially the needlessly dramatic statements people often make over little things, but those aren't specific phrases so much as archetypes for phrases.
The phrase "what will be will be" is only a tautology when read in a strictly literal sense. It is an attempt to communicate the idea that some things are out of our control and can only be accepted/tolerated/endured. Similarly "it is what it is" means that the subject has certain characteristics, and railing against them wont change that.

Now, it's perfectly possible to argue against those statements. Why should we accept things as they are? How can we be sure we can do nothing? But just because they aren't necessarily right doesn't mean they are meaningless. (You could argue that something can't be wrong unless it has meaning: "fhaglhg" isn't wrong because it isn't actually a statement of anything, just gibberish)


OT: I can tolerate hyperbole most of the time. It's hyperbole, it's not meant to be taken literally, and everyone deserves to vent and be unreasonable from time to time, within reason.
 

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
19,316
0
0
tippy2k2 said:
I'm not a "Fill in the Blank" BUT...

Anytime anyone has ever said this in the history of anything, they go on to explain a viewpoint completely in line with "Fill in the Blank"

For example:
I'm not sexist BUT (followed by an incredibly sexist viewpoint)
I'm not racist BUT (followed by an incredibly racist remark)
I'm not a homophobe BUT (followed by something incredibly homophobic)
I'm not a serial killer BUT I did just kill a bunch of people


You adding "But" to the middle of your sentence does not make whatever you're about to say less racist/sexist/homophobic/stupid
I love messing with these so much. "I'm not racist, but purple skin is a heck of a turn off, guys." They're so baity.

OT: OP nailed it.

But even worse than that is "shove down our throats". This is because A. When this phrase is used, nothing is ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER being truly pushed onto someone else, and B. dat rapetastic imagery!

EDIT: Couldn't have timed that "dat" any better. xD
 

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
3,028
0
0
ClockworkPenguin said:
conmag9 said:
Most "wise" sayings that are simply tautologies. "What will be, will be" and "It is what it is" come up frequently. I call them out just about every time.

"Could care less" instead of "couldn't care less" is another one that drives me to frustration faster than a race car with rocket jets.

There are others, no doubt. Especially the needlessly dramatic statements people often make over little things, but those aren't specific phrases so much as archetypes for phrases.
The phrase "what will be will be" is only a tautology when read in a strictly literal sense. It is an attempt to communicate the idea that some things are out of our control and can only be accepted/tolerated/endured. Similarly "it is what it is" means that the subject has certain characteristics, and railing against them wont change that.

Now, it's perfectly possible to argue against those statements. Why should we accept things as they are? How can we be sure we can do nothing? But just because they aren't necessarily right doesn't mean they are meaningless. (You could argue that something can't be wrong unless it has meaning: "fhaglhg" isn't wrong because it isn't actually a statement of anything, just gibberish)
Not a fan of inevitability myself. One of my favorite Douglas Adams quotes deals with that topic. "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
 

Shoggoth2588

New member
Aug 31, 2009
10,250
0
0
archiebawled said:
"I could care less." the words mean literally the opposite of "I couldn't care less."

David Mitchell makes the case quite nicely here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw
Another one somewhat similar to "I could care less" is the phrase, "same difference". The same difference between a clementine and a tangerine for example is that neither one is an apple. The same difference between Doom and, Quake is that neither one is Sim City. This phrase used to really annoy the Hell out of me when I was a teenager and while I'm still really annoyed by it, I don't get as annoyed as I used to get by it. Though I will still point out that the same difference between Link to the Past and, Link Between Worlds is that neither of them are made by Rockstar.
 

Riot3000

New member
Oct 7, 2013
220
0
0
Lets see there is a bunch of stuff anything that falls in line with that "tough love".

Any thing that falls under "keeping it real", "non politically correct" just because your opinion is brash and unpopular does not make more true.

Harsh Truths are fore the edgy wannabe's and suck up platitude platoons.

"Struck a nerve" because some disagreeing with you somehow makes your point more true?

Which leads to this "at first you don't succeed try again" look I wanted to play basketball but height and all the bad things that happened to my ankle made me rethink what I wanted to do and football was a way better fit for me.

Which is why I like this version "at first you don't succeed try again then quit no sense in being a damn fool about it W.
C. Feilds

Also probably off topic but I think the word entitlement is overused and has just because buzzword.
 

Random Argument Man

New member
May 21, 2008
6,011
0
0
"It's a double standard".

Most people use it as a way to say "It is what it is" or "This is the situation you need to accept". When the situation is wrong, "What it is" needs to change.