Pile of wood = art?

JoshasorousRex

Dec 5, 2008
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20101130/sackville-sculpture-logger-101130/

TL;DR: Story goes some guy hauls away some wood from an unmarked pile of wood. Turns out its an art sculpture called "Deadwood Sleep". Artist was paid $5000 dollars to build said sculpture.

Is this art?: I personally don't think so. I can pile wood together too. I see piles of wood in front of some homes occasionally but is it art? I guess its not art unless you call yourself an artist and start piling things together calling it art.

I know what I'll do!
1. Call self artist
2. Spit on canvas
3. Call it art
4. Profit

Subzerowings

May 1, 2009
It's called dadaism.

Could I make that? Sure. It would be declared art as soon as I declare it as art and that's the point of dadaism.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
My mum used to fuck a dude who would polish bog oak and then successfully sell it for ridiculous piles of cash as art.

So yes. It is art. Dadaism is fucking ridiculous, but whatever. I suppose anything can be art, as long as someone is willing to call it such.

Dec 14, 2008
Subzerowings said:
It's called dadaism.
Could I make that? Sure. It would be declared art as soon as I declare it as art and that's the point of dadaism.
I really want to see someone riding that thing now.

As art is a subjective medium you can't really set standards for, of course this could be my rage from getting a B- in art this year talking.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
It's not the thing itself that is art, the artistic part convincing other people it's art.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
Kind of makes me think of a funeral pyre, actually.

And it's more an environmental piece, there's no real dada aspects to it. Pile in the courtyard of MoMA, cover it with molten lead, set a stuffed chicken riding a horse on top, and call it Florida, and you're getting warmer.

MEEBO17

Mar 3, 2010
I remember I went to a local museum last year, and there was a huge painting of 3 stripes (two orange,one red) on the wall. You could buy it for $4,000. And I was like "the fuck"? Oh, the wood pile? No, defienently not art.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
countrysteaksauce said:
Whatever happened to artists like Albrecht Durer?
Wasn't he the guy who more or less profiteered on religious fervor with prints and then stopped after the Protestants, who frowned on that, came to power? So yeah, the Protestant Reformation happened to him, and he lost his market. Mystery solved, good work gang.

*Albrecht Durer* And I would've gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddling Protestants!

People value technical skill and abstract meaning differently. /Le gasp!

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
JoshasorousRex said:
I know what I'll do!
1. Call self artist
2. Spit on canvas
3. Call it art
4. Profit
Brilliant! Then fake your own death and you'll make millions!

me.vicky

Jun 23, 2010
Art is selection: it is art if you take it and call it art.

Now, is it GOOD art? That's a different question altogether.

Apr 25, 2009
Did it take any skill to make? Fuck no.

Does it subversively mean anything through the visuals or form? Fuck no.

Is it impressive or unique? Again, fuck no.

It holds none of the three prerequisites for art. As an artist I'm ashamed of this shit.

IT IS NOT ART.