Pillars of Eternity: Modding in the Sorcerer-class?

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Do you know of any mods to do this? It shouldn't be that hard. Just increase spell-cast per rest/make all/some spells into "per encounter" instead, and decrease the amount of spells available per level.
I've always enjoyed the Sorcerer, and while Pillars of Eternity is a fine game, I am getting a wee bit tired of having to rest constantly, which necessitates endless backtracking.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
Seems to me that making Wizard spells per encounter, even with less of them, would be a bit too strong. In my opinion the better way to do it would be more spells before rest and having all the ones you know available at all times like a priest, just with a massively lowered spell list compared to the wizard. I feel overall the Wizard is boring at early levels but once you're around level or so the spell limits don't feel so harsh. And camping supplies are dirt cheap if one needs to blow too many spells in a fight.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
A wizard using all his spells in one fight is immensely powerful. If you want to do that against bosses it's legit but all the time makes those normal fights nothing.

If you are really willing to burn camp supplies and rests for every fight you'll hemorrhage moneyz. Though I don't know what endgame money balance is like.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Fieldy409 said:
A wizard using all his spells in one fight is immensely powerful. If you want to do that against bosses it's legit but all the time makes those normal fights nothing.

If you are really willing to burn camp supplies and rests for every fight you'll hemorrhage moneyz. Though I don't know what endgame money balance is like.
There is no endgame money balance. As long as you are ready to loot most corpses early game you can be swimming in money late game. I had something like 60k+ at the end of the game, and that was after I bought weapons for at least 50k (including one weapon that cost 22,5k on its' own). The bigger issue is that the quantity of camping supplies available at merchants is limited, because unless you blow all your money in Ondra's Gift, there's no way you'll suffer a money shortage.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
The PoE Wizard is pretty much the D&D Sorceror already: Small pool of spells available at any given moment (in this case, 4 per level)? Check! A limited number of spellcasts available per rest? Check! Can cast any spell as long as he has casts of that level available instead of having to prepare specific spells? Check!

Seriously, the only real difference is that the PoE Wizard can change up his spell selection between encounters. The PoE Wizard is kinda like the best of both the D&D Sorceror and the D&D Wizard.

If any modding is needed, it would be to give Wizard spells more range, because as it stands many of them are pathetically short ranged...

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
No class mods yet, but then the game is still very young. I'm sure people are hard at work to get their favourite stuff in, things like full classes take a long time to put together correctly.

I would love to get a "combat only" unlock, really fucking hate how half the magic stuff is prevented to exist in normal exploration, makes the game so awfully gimped for arbitrary reasons, meanwhile 15 years ago D&D made that stuff completely open and flexible for characters to mold into endless clever solutions to dangerous areas.
Also party AI behaviors would also be huge, and modified movement during combat even simple walking speed reduction would do wonders, far too often does an entire pack of mobs turn combat into musical chairs burlesque as things work now.
Get on that modders!