Pillars of Eternity Preview: Hallelujah for Classic Isometric RPGs

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Pillars of Eternity Preview: Hallelujah for Classic Isometric RPGs

Pillars of Eternity makes its first public showing at E3, and it plays on the memory of those old isometric RPGs you loved so much.

Read Full Article

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Anything that can give me nostalgia of those fantastic games is fantastic in my book.

I simply cannot wait for this, Wasteland 2 and Torment to come out. It's about time we've had a proper computer roleplaying game made.

Apr 5, 2008
Proud backer of this Kickstarter and I'm so glad it succeeded to the extent it did. I cannot wait to get into this game, play with different classes, meet/romance the (hopefully) fleshed out NPCs and explore a living breathing world in the course of an epic and/or personal adventure.

Looking to be the highlight of the year if it can be released in 2014. I must say, as much as I'm eager and excited to play this, I'm happier that Obsidian are taking their time. Without a publisher to hound them for a specific release window (a la KotOR2 f.ex) they will release it when it's ready. I can't ask for more...I'd much rather wait and have a better experience.

This, Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077, Numeneria are all the games I'm most looking forward to. I was sad that the Outcast HD remake and Nexus II Kickstarters didn't get funded tho...I backed them but it wasn't enough and those would have been great to see made as well.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Pure, beautiful nostalgia, im so glad i backed this and its looking freaking awesome...i cant wait to play it as a S̶c̶a̶n̶n̶e̶r̶ Cipher!

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Oh shit this is gonna be so good. I'm actually considering breaking out BG1+2 again even though its not been that long since I finished them....they are soooooooooooooooooo juicy good....especially the second one....NOM

Apr 5, 2008
Nil Kafashle said:
Easily my most anticipated game of 2014.

Normally I like to keep my expectations in check but everything I've heard about this game sounds like it'll be better than literally every other RPG made.

KingsGambit said:
Proud backer of this Kickstarter and I'm so glad it succeeded to the extent it did. I cannot wait to get into this game, play with different classes, meet/romance the (hopefully) fleshed out NPCs.
Obsidian have already confirmed there will be no romances (thankfully).
Now I'm sad :-( I enjoyed the added layer, it made deeper emotional connections, more immersive and personal story and another plot running alongside any others. Well, I'm still playing it to death either way...maybe it'll be in a DLC or moddable...

If it isn't moddable, please don't tell me. Leave me some hope :p

PPB

May 25, 2009
Really looking forward to this one. I'm a bit anxious to see how it turns out, but this trailer was great. It had a strong Icewind Dale vibe to it in my opinion. It has been a while since I said this, but this will likely be a day 1 buy from me.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'm sorry if this sounds dickish, but does this game offer anything BUT nostalgia? That video had very little combat; mostly just walking around, showing that they can program movement. And there was literally no plot, except the standard fantasy setting.
I'm not saying its going to be a bad game, but I need to hear WAY more about it and not just that its nostalgic. I played the original fallout and fallout 2 and fallout 3 and I thought 3 was the best by far!

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I'm quite excited for this, but a little anxious about exactly how the resting mechanic will work. Hopefully since they're using their own RPG system they've discarded the bugbear of AD&D spells, and you won't have to rest after every single fight because you had to dump all your high level spells at once.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
I'm so excited. I missed out on backing for this, but I'm pretty sure I'll get it day one. I'm hoping I can get my hands on a physical copy though. Digital download is nice and all, but games like this are special. I want a box.

Nil Kafashle said:
Obsidian have already confirmed there will be no romances (thankfully).
Won't stop the fan fics, fan art, and fan fighting.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
BlueJoneleth said:
Yup this year looks like a good year for RPG fans.
I wonder when it'll be the same for RTS fans, I feel it's going to be maybe another decade at this rate since we only have Planetary annihilation and next year Grey goo.

(PS: I'm on about RTS games akin to Planetary annihilation, Starcraft, C&C and AOE series, not RTT or other sub genres of RTS games.)

Still this game looks great and I'm most likely going to grab it.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Looks fantastic, not just because it brings back nostalgia, but also because it seems to bring the whole classic isometric genre up to par with current times.

I've already lost a lot of hours on Divinity: Original Sin, but this should be doing even more for me.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I'm cautiously optimistic. Features and quality are two separate things. Just because you hit all the beats of an early 00's computer RPG doesn't mean it becomes as good. It applies for games aping the best games of the last decade just as much as it applies for games aping the best games of last year.

Still, it sounds like thy know what they're doing, I've got my fingers crossed.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
More pictures that I found on other forums:

PS: Now with interface!

HYYYYYYPE! So much Baldur's Gate 2 vibes from those God damn!

captcha: Oh brother..totally agree with you there captcha.