Pillars of Eternity Review - More Than Homage

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Pillars of Eternity Review - More Than Homage

It's the best new, isometric RPG to come out in years.

Read Full Article

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
ooooooooooooooooooooooooshitohshitohshit! Steam really cant unlock this game fast enough! Thank GOD for easter vacation (heh).

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Since author of the article made a comparison between this game and BG, I have a question: what about your party members? Are they actual characters or walking tools/bags that say a thing sometimes like in BG?

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I've been waiting over a decade for a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate and Obsidian finally has delivered us another great game via Kickstarter.

2 more hours 'till I get to experience the greatness. :D

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Mister K said:
Since author of the article made a comparison between this game and BG, I have a question: what about your party members? Are they actual characters or walking tools/bags that say a thing sometimes like in BG?
Little of column A, little of column B. You can hire adventurers, that you custom create, to fill out the party, but they are just warm bodies. Which is a nice way to ensure you always have whatever you need to round out the group. Along the way you'll also encounter characters to recruit with their own dialogue and stories. As to whether or not their engaging enough, I'd probably put them above Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale, pretty much on par with Baldur's Gate 2, and maybe a little behind Planescape.

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
Mister K said:
From what I've seen you can recruit both "alive" NPC party members with interaction and stories, or make "adventurers" in inns which are custom made party members but dont have the interactions.

baconmaster

Apr 15, 2008
These games are kind of daunting to me. But reading this makes me want to play that copy of Planescape: Torment I bought on GOG ages ago and never touched. Or maybe I'll start with the new Shadowrun since that's supposedly much shorter. Hopefully that can get me invested in the genre

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
I haven't pitched in back when they ran the Kickstarter, but I have been eagerly anticipating the release. Not a day 1 buy - I still have Dragon Age: Inquisition to finish, but I'm likely to get Pillars later.

I'm curious though - how does PoE stack against Divinity: Original Sin? From the review it sounds like there's a good deal of overlap between the two games.

The review at least makes it sound like Obsidian finally released a reasonably bug-free game, and that's nice.

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
Fighters still smack enemies, Wizards sling spells, Priests heal, and Rogues pilfer everything that isn't nailed down.
What... I have no idea what you're talking about... *puts away the tape covered gloves*

>.>
<.<

This will be the perfect nightcap to my D&D session tonight... and long weekend.

NinjaTank56

Jan 14, 2015
I know the game just came out, but can anyone tell me if this game is still enjoyable if you never got into baldur's gate?
All the reviews I've seen so far are from people who played a bunch of BG, Planescape, etc. so I don't know if I'd still enjoy PoE without that experience.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Spacewolf said:
Out of curiosity how PC intensive is it?
I'm currently between desktops, but my laptop was able to run it beautifully. Here are the specs: Intel Core i7 4710HQ (2.50GHz), 16GB Memory, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB.

NinjaTank56 said:
I know the game just came out, but can anyone tell me if this game is still enjoyable if you never got into baldur's gate?
All the reviews I've seen so far are from people who played a bunch of BG, Planescape, etc. so I don't know if I'd still enjoy PoE without that experience.
Obviously it's a little hard to say since I do have some much invested in those older titles, but I think any fan of RPGs would have fun with it. There's a lot of interesting mechanics involved and a good emphasis on rich player choices which I think appeals to RPG fans outside of even isometric ones.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
So is there a map/quest markers? Or was that sacrificed to prevent old school CRPG-ers from burning down Obsidian's offices? The hours of bumbling around without the faintest idea of what I'm supposed to be doing was one of several big things that prevented me from enjoying Divinity: Original Sin, and if that particular bit of archaic design is present here it just about kills the moderate interest I have.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Slycne said:
Spacewolf said:
Out of curiosity how PC intensive is it?
I'm currently between desktops, but my laptop was able to run it beautifully. Here are the specs: Intel Core i7 4710HQ (2.50GHz), 16GB Memory, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB.
You think a laptop with Intel I5 [email protected] 6GB Ram and a GT540 would be able to run it or would it be best to wait until I get round to getting a Desktop?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Spacewolf said:
You think a laptop with Intel I5 [email protected] 6GB Ram and a GT540 would be able to run it or would it be best to wait until I get round to getting a Desktop?
Yeah that should be fine. That's only a little below the recommended and above the minimum. Make sure you have a 64bit OS as well though.

major_chaos said:
So is there a map/quest markers? Or was that sacrificed to prevent old school CRPG-ers from burning down Obsidian's offices? The hours of bumbling around without the faintest idea of what I'm supposed to be doing was one of several big things that prevented me from enjoying Divinity: Original Sin, and if that particular bit of archaic design is present here it just about kills the moderate interest I have.
The journal is a little kinder at telling you what areas you need to go to, but there's not quest markers in the MMO sense of an X on your mini-map.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Oh man I am so stoked for this game. I was right in there when I saw it on Kickstarter and I'm currently downloading it as I type. No idea if I can run it, but whatever, it'll be just as good if I have to wait to play it. Glad to hear it's stood up to the hype! Also, as a side note, I've heard about Ironman mode runs before but it's neat to see a game that actually implements it as a proper difficulty setting.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
major_chaos said:
I had a similar experience with Divinity: Original Sin, in that it was quite frustrating to have to clue what your supposed to do. That being said i didn't have that in the slightest with Pillars and i am about 5 hours in now.
The First 1 - 2 hours are actually pretty linear and introduce both the game mechanics and the story to you. Once it opens up you still can't go everywhere, since you have to "discover" new map areas by exploring the adjacent ones. This means the game gradually opens up more and more as you get further into the game.
Basically there is no quest marker, but the quests tell you were you need to go and the game is good enough designed that you shouldn't have a problem figuring out what to do.
And it's just a blast so far. The companions i have met are great characters, the story and the worls is interesting, the combat is challenging and fun and everything is just pretty damn great.
I can only recommend this game.