Pillars of Eternity's Release Pushed Back to "Early 2015"

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Pillars of Eternity's Release Pushed Back to "Early 2015"

Obsidian is postponing Pillars of Eternity to make sure it will be "absolutely ready" when it releases.

Back in 2012, Obsidian Entertainment thrilled role-playing fans with Project Eternity. Later renamed <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e32014/11755-Pillars-of-Eternity-Preview-Hallelujah-for-Classic-Isometric-RPG>Pillars of Eternity, it promised to recreate the experience of the beloved Infinity Engine games and reintroduce players to a style that the broader gaming industry had largely set aside. It earned nearly $4 million <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity>on Kickstarter and after <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132063-Obsidian-Delays-Pillars-of-Eternity>a disappointing delay, was eventually slated for a <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132209-Pillars-of-Eternity-Gets-New-Release-Window>winter 2014 release. Sadly, it now seems that the game's eager followers will have to be waiting even longer than that.

Obsidian, writing in a forum posting today, has revealed that Pillars of Eternity sadly won't be releasing in 2014 and will now launch in "early 2015." According to the developer, this latest delay was carefully considered based on fan and beta feedback. According to Obsidian's CEO Feargus Uruqhart, the extra time will be used to iron out the game's wrinkles and deliver a final product the team can be proud of.

"Since the very beginning of this project we promised our fans and ourselves that we would release this game only when we knew it would be absolutely ready for the best experience possible," he said. "We are coming into the home stretch but are pushing the release out just a bit to make sure we honor that promise we made originally. Thanks for your patience and support, it will be worth the wait."

While this latest delay is likely to be a downer for RPG fans eager to get their hands on the game, it's hard to argue with the wisdom behind pushing it back. This is especially true in the case of Obsidian which, in the past, has released several games marred with <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104644-Obsidian-Fallout-New-Vegas-Has-Bugs-Because-Its-Big>technical issues stemming, in no small part, from being pushed into stores before they were fully ready.

Source: Obsidian

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I can live with this.

I'll be looking forward to the release no matter when it is, and I'm just glad that Obsidian are in a position where they're actually able to push the release date for the sake of a quality experience.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Better delayed than bad.

Even good games like KotOR II could be scarred by a rushed release. Best that Obsidian takes their time.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
If its half as good wasteland2 and Divinity Original Sin I'll be really happy with it and buy it at launch.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Better Nate than lever.

I can wait for this. Take the time needed to let it gleam. If it'll convince other developers this is worth doing....nom nom.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Called it! Every single time they said 'we're definitely going to make our winter release date' I would shake my head and smile at their naivety. And look how it's happening.

I don't care, I want the game to be great not quick, I'm just being smug.

By the way they're going to miss this deadline too. June 2015 is achievable

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Take your time obsidian I'm in no rush for the greatness you shall unleash take your time and make this game shine like a fucking diamond.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
It's nice to see Obsidian actually having the time to do it right for a change.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I can wait. Still got Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun to get through not even mentioning Divinity OS. There aren't enough hours in the day for so many rpg's, so you take all the time you need Obsidian.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Nothing so far from Josh over at SA. At least most of combat bugs should be squashed and values tweaked by then, which is definitely a good thing.

nyarlathotepsama

Apr 11, 2012
synobal said:
If its half as good wasteland2 and Divinity Original Sin I'll be really happy with it and buy it at launch.
As long as it doesn't have the performance issues of the latter I'd be super happy. I'm betting WL2 would have run fine on my old, weaker computer but my new box is light years ahead of its requirement and parsecs ahead of its recommended but it still lags and stutters.

OT: I've been kicking funds towards this one for awhile. I like Obsidian a lot so I tend to support their endeavors but I remain hopefully skeptical about their release dates. A good month or two to knock the engine around and clean up any hanging bits of code is never a bad thing, polished is better than premature pretty much one hundred percent of the time.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
An Obsidian game that they'll push back until it's absolutely ready to go? Well, they'll have no excuses if there's a plethora of bugs, but if they stamp them out, then this'll be that rare time where we get a non-buggy Obsidian game - I thoroughly most of their stuff as it is, so this should be a real treat.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I've been playing the Beta (more like an Alpha) a bit and they're right to push it back as there is still a LOT of work to be done.

That said, it's a great tactical game and the whole engagement system is seriously punishing if you think a character can just wade through a defensive line to attack the squishy mages at the back.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I'm completely fine with this.

Obsidian was always the developer with great ideas and concepts, but their games were almost always a buggy mess (except Dungeon Siege 3, which was pretty much bug free, but garbage), diamonds in the rough. And it's always someone else's fault.

Well, this time there are no excuses. There are no publishers shoving your creating out the door prematurely, there are no limitations imposed on you, you can delay if you want. Now let's see if you can make it good or are you another Double Fine...

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Jandau said:
I'm completely fine with this.

Obsidian was always the developer with great ideas and concepts, but their games were almost always a buggy mess (except Dungeon Siege 3, which was pretty much bug free, but garbage), diamonds in the rough. And it's always someone else's fault.

Well, this time there are no excuses. There are no publishers shoving your creating out the door prematurely, there are no limitations imposed on you, you can delay if you want. Now let's see if you can make it good or are you another Double Fine...
One of the interesting things is Obsidian makes less excuses for themselves than people make for them. Obsidian rely on publishers to exist, so they know they can't get away with bad-mouthing them and blaming the publisher production schedules. For example, if you ask Chris Avellone where he went wrong on KotoR2, then he says that he spent too much development time trying to make KotoR1's minigames worth playing instead of just scrapping them altogether.

And I'd actually say they kind of proved themselves with South Park. Sure all the reviews reported bugs, but that was because they literally phoned all their friends and other reviewers looking to see if anyone had found one. One you get a reputation it's hard to shake off.

And on top of all that, I still enjoy Obsidian's buggy games way more than the standard generic but super polished games. So if they fail to make the game perfectly I'm still buying their games and hoping they succeed as a company.

But I do agree that this is really their chance to prove that the problems with polish have been from outside influences instead of bad production management in Obsidian. (I just kind of expect them to fail that test)

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
BrotherRool said:
Called it! Every single time they said 'we're definitely going to make our winter release date' I would shake my head and smile at their naivety. And look how it's happening.

This is the average weather for February in my home town. 'Winter' lasts well into 2015.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Denamic said:
BrotherRool said:

This is the average weather for February in my home town. 'Winter' lasts well into 2015.
Not too many things in February 2015 get called 'Winter 2014'. Hence the announcement that they're postponing.

It doesn't matter anyway, I predict this game is coming out well after March (the first month of Spring). This is going to end up summertime 2015