Piracy and Streaming - How do you feel about it?

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Okey, we all know that most people feel pretty strongly against piracy of games here (and even if they didn't, we aren't supposed to talk about it), but how do you feel about streaming movies and shows?
Is it equally bad? I'm not talking about downloading, but watching something that is online and (in most places of the world) still technically isn't illegal. Shouldn't whoever produces tv-shows get ahead of the curve and start putting it out online themselves (as some countries have started) to earn a buck instead of letting it all go to waste?

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
That's why we have Hulu. Last I remember, Hulu was free, but you could really only watch recent episodes and have to deal with ads unless you paid and went premium.

And many TV stations have streaming on their site. My mom always goes to NBC.com to catch up on Amazing Race and it's the same way for many others.

They could certainly try to make money off of shows they're hosting on their own site, but that probably would lead to a bit of a backdraft.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
If companies make it impossible to watch it any other way, ie by not streaming it on their site, not releasing it on DVD or not rebroadcasting it on TV then I have no problem with it.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
hopeneverdies said:
That's why we have Hulu. Last I remember, Hulu was free, but you could really only watch recent episodes and have to deal with ads unless you paid and went premium.

And many TV stations have streaming on their site. My mom always goes to NBC.com to catch up on Amazing Race and it's the same way for many others.

They could certainly try to make money off of shows they're hosting on their own site, but that probably would lead to a bit of a backdraft.
But most shows aren't always on Hulu, are they? How about those of us that aren't in the US and can't watch Hulu (and similar sites)?

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
At the end of the day there is someone who owns content, and it is up to them who gets to view it.

They provide legal ways to view their content, usually, and all other ways you view their content is usually illegal and always immoral.

That said I stream stuff all of the time, because I don't want to pay for cable when I only watch 1 or 2 shows a year. I know it's immoral, but I don't care enough to stop.