piracy, does it have a good solution?

xavierxenon

Aug 10, 2009
The Blue Mongoose said:
My suggestion: release everything on Steam, or a Steam-like service.
That wont work, The Last Remnant on PC (i'm pretty sure anyway) needs activation on Steam, yet I downloaded it the other day and runs without it.

My suggestion to stop piracy would be to shut down the internet, though it may not be the most practical way to stop it, it would ceratinly stop piracy.

The Blue Mongoose

Jul 12, 2008
xavierxenon said:
The Blue Mongoose said:
That wont work, The Last Remnant on PC (i'm pretty sure anyway) needs activation on Steam, yet I downloaded it the other day and runs without it.

My suggestion to stop piracy would be to shut down the internet, though it may not be the most practical way to stop it, it would ceratinly stop piracy.
Even then people will make copies. Nothing will stop piracy completely. But making game more user friendly and stuff would help majorly.

EDIT:
John Smyth said:
Now accepting suggestions for the pirate song.
Dead Man's Chest somes to mind... or He's A Pirate from the Pirates of the Caribbean Soundtrack. Dundun-dundun, dundun-dundun, dundun-dundun, dundundundun.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
KiiWii said:
Machines Are Us said:
KiiWii said:
I'll buy games if i feel they are worth my money.
If i do not, i'll pirate them.
Sometimes i'll pirate them, not because i lack the money, but for the convenience.
Games developers need to understand this.
In other words. You are a thief.

You can try and justify it with whatever bullshit reasons you like but you are taking something for free that cost somebody else money to make. Even if you didn't "take it" and "copied" it you are still stealing because you didn't pay for the rights to use it.

It is also not necessary to post about six times without contributing anything.
Alright then i'm a thief.
Its a good job you pointed that out, people may not have noticed. ¬.¬
You may not want to directly admit that, the admins tend to dislike the whole "I'm a pirate and..." thing. To whoever brought up secuROM and DRM... If someone goes to the trouble of distributing a game (i.e. the initial seeder), what makes you think they wouldn't go to the trouble of cracking the installation file so that the security wasn't used. Very few people use cracked Steam multiplayer, because of VAC which will kill the account if a pirate copy is detected.

Oh, and to answer the question?
"Start making Music/Movies/Games that I deem worthy of my money". I have my principles, I waited an extra 3 weeks and bought the new Hilltop Hoods and Artic Monkeys album. I'd never download anything Indy (for obvious reasons) or by Valve, as I've never played a bad game by them. EA, on the other hand, is ripe for the picking

Steel Ronin

Apr 14, 2009
xavierxenon said:
The Blue Mongoose said:

That's a really radical but idiotic plan but a little piracy can help a game that's what I read on some magazine I forgot it's name.I don't have any ideas to stop it well one but it's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard myself say.

KiiWii

Feb 3, 2008
wordsmith said:
"Start making Music/Movies/Games that I deem worthy of my money". I have my principles, I waited an extra 3 weeks and bought the new Hilltop Hoods and Artic Monkeys album. I'd never download anything Indy (for obvious reasons) or by Valve, as I've never played a bad game by them. EA, on the other hand, is ripe for the picking
Like i said, i do buy most things. Its just when i have to go ridiculously out of my way and dredge through deep waters of DRM just to get the damn game i want to run properly, that's when you get desperate.

I recently bought "Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth" via steam, and it doesn't work. looked for solutions for days and nothing has solved the crashing problems. Its to the point where its physically impossible to proceed with the game. Now i payed for that game, and its useless to me. If i'd've pirated it then i wouldn't feel so cheated out of my goddamn money. B|

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Just go the Zeno Clash way, practically no DRM and just implore the pirates to BUY the game if they liked it..

Steel Ronin

Apr 14, 2009
wordsmith said:
KiiWii said:
Machines Are Us said:
KiiWii said:
I'll buy games if i feel they are worth my money.
If i do not, i'll pirate them.
Sometimes i'll pirate them, not because i lack the money, but for the convenience.
Games developers need to understand this.
In other words. You are a thief.

You can try and justify it with whatever bullshit reasons you like but you are taking something for free that cost somebody else money to make. Even if you didn't "take it" and "copied" it you are still stealing because you didn't pay for the rights to use it.

It is also not necessary to post about six times without contributing anything.
Alright then i'm a thief.
Its a good job you pointed that out, people may not have noticed. ¬.¬
You may not want to directly admit that, the admins tend to dislike the whole "I'm a pirate and..." thing. To whoever brought up secuROM and DRM... If someone goes to the trouble of distributing a game (i.e. the initial seeder), what makes you think they wouldn't go to the trouble of cracking the installation file so that the security wasn't used. Very few people use cracked Steam multiplayer, because of VAC which will kill the account if a pirate copy is detected.
it
"do what you want cause a pirate is free, you are a pirate yar har fiddle dee dee being a pirate is alwirght with me"heard it on some internet video it's was a good song until i found out it's on one of those fuckin kid shows I hate them.So piracy is bad but I sometimes use it to see if a game is good the demos only show the light reflecting a pile of shit but then if it's good I buy it if it's bad I delete it there is no sence in throwing you're money away but then I play World of Warcraft on the official europe servers which is like trowing your money off a bridge.What I'm saying is that a little piracy never hurt anyone just remember to buy the game (if it's good muhahahahah).For movies I don't download pirated movies it cost like five bucks in Bulgaria to go and see a movie which is not like paying 200 bucks (In Bulgaria that is)for a shitty game.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
KiiWii said:
Here [http://www.onlive.com/] is your answer.
Except that OnLive is a laggy piece of shit that fails to deliver on any of it's promises in a controlled demonstration environment.

Though, you might have a point. If games sucked badly, nobody would waste their time to pirate them.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
you can't stop it, as i've said in another thread, any compitent programmer can get rid of the drm, so live and let live i say.

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
They should rename it or something, piracy just sounds too cool. Like, software faggotry.

No-one'd want to describe themselves as a software ******. XD

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
Motti said:
Hire ninjas.
That is all.
As a practicing pirate, I can tell you from experience this is the ONLY remotely practical solution. Seriously.

As long as you have digital media and humans are greedy you will have pirates. It follows as night follows day. The best solution? Give up on digital media or ignore the pirates.

gagalloogie

Jul 29, 2009
yeah pirates suck, its ike ok so you want free games or dvd's or music, and thats all very well, but guess what dumass if too many people like you do this they can't afford to make cool stuff for you to steal. So a good solution to piracy would be...i dunno....obviously very large fines directly to the appropriate company....you know what i think said company should be able to seize all their pirate ass stuff and money. Or make them work back all the stolen goods...

Xorghul

Jul 2, 2008
There are(will be) three solutions.
Spotify(works)
Voddler(most likely to work)
OnLive(I really really hope this is going to work)

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
pretty much if i feel that if for whatever reason i was prevented from obtaining an illegal copy and still want to play it enough that i would actually pay for it, then i would buy it. If its a game that i just cant be bothered playing if i cant get it for free then i would use piracy to my advantage. Its as simple as that. Developers will get my money if i think their game is worth my money. I have the same view with music. I normally download it first and if i decide i like it enough to pay for it, then i'll go get myself a copy

Think of it as trying out the demo to see if i like it, but instead of a demo just getting the full version

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
antiwheat said:
I think they should arrest those who commit piracy and put them to death by walking the plank unless they wear an eyepatch and a hat, have a parrot on their shoulder and sail round on a big ship going "Arrrr!".
You, sir, have made my day, Thank You. But I made one correction.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Piracy is a problem that is never going to go away. Everyone involved with the production of all media need to realize that and accept it. Stronger laws and more police devoted to enforcing those laws will do nothing to stop piracy. It is like fucking a bus garage. Nothing is accomplished.

What media producers need to do is find a way to earn a profit despite, perhaps even because of, piracy.

I am not a developer, so I have no idea. But I can offer a few person insights that may help point you in the right direction.

I am a collector. That my DVD collection is as small as it is, and it's a decent size, just shows how poor I am. I put most of my DVDs into slim jewel cases to save space and while it looks spiff, I can see it's a temporary solution. Eventually the collection will fill the shelves again and I'll be right back where I started.

I suspect that most media sales have to do with idiots like me who might be forced to devote whole rooms in their home to media storage. Books, DVDs, CDs, comics, VHS tapes, Games for over ten different video game consoles, etc.

When a collector gets to be my age, they look at their collection and realize what a wasted life we've led. All we have is a huge collection of stuff we HAD TO HAVE that we never use.

At this point, I would be all for downloadable content rather than outright media purchasing. Then I can get my living room back and I can watch whatever movie or play whatever game I want whenever I want. It's just that such services are not quite up to snuff yet. Netflix is too slow with the snail mail. Video stores are a joke. Movie downloads, such as Time Warner Cable's On Demand services, are too limited in their selection with hobbled features, such as the fast forward and rewind not working right.

But, if a good, fast download service were available with an exhaustive library at my disposal for a monthly fee, I would be down with that idea. This would require a paradigm shift away from sell copies and toward renting everything. The media purveyors would need to get used to the idea and the consumer market would really need to get used to the idea. But I think that the market is already shifting this way, so I think media developers need to focus on making a system for this kind of thing that works well. Because selling individual media copies to an end user is becoming a thing of the past as piracy makes media content easily accessible for free.

Emilin_Rose

Aug 8, 2009
Personally i think it has a lot to do with the medium and dates of the games.

As an example, a working original Nintendo system, and a working copy of the original Super Mario Brothers are incredibly hard to find. Not only that but nintendo makes no money off them anymore.

I think pirating a game is okay once it gets to the stage where its impossible to find working and exists only as a program on someone's hard drive.

On the other side of things we have games like Starcraft or World of Warcraft, or other more modern games that are still being made deserve to be bought in order to pay the expenses to keep the companies afloat to make more games.

short answer: Anything from n64 back i see as okay to pirate, because the companies aren't making money from it anymore, and some consoles and games are incredibly difficult to find, especially if you don't have a credit card or paypal to buy them offline.