Piracy Makes U.K. Riots Look Like "Children Stealing Candy"

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Ah, so the moral of the story is that most business CEOs - especially this one - have no perspective. Really? Piracy is worse? Hah. ASSUMING you get by whatever arguments about piracy as a viable crime there are, including the ever-wise Neil Gaiman statement about it being more akin to going to the library, you have to accept that it's WHITE COLLAR, no actual harm except to something financial...MAYBE.

This is not the same as beating people to death and trampling them in a human stampede.

Perspective! Find it...

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
I want to preface this by saying that piracy is not a harmless act, no matter how you try to justify it, and if you pirate, unless you already purchased it or it is unavailible to you, you are a massive dick.

That said, if your corporation is losing profits, the only one to blame is yourself. There have been plenty of people that have been massively successful, even with internet pirates, so the only logical explaination is that you screwed up somehow. Figure that out, and then you can talk about how much piracy is affecting your buisness.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
"Illegally downloading [digital content] is the equivalent of smashing a window and taking it"
Except for the fact that there's no smashed window, & the content is right where it was before.
Can everyone please stop buying whatever this guy sells? Just to make me feel better? Please?

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Last time I checked, no innocent people have died as a result of computer piracy.

Unless it's company policy for Fox Employees to murder the children they steal candy off? Now that I've said that, though, it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Guns don't kill people. Torrents kills people (at least in Britain and former remnants of its empire).

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Piracy doesn't kill people. I'd say it's terrible to try to compare piracy (a world wide thing by the way) to a riot that occurred for four days, and not only injured people but also killed people.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Oh yeah, I forgot about all those arsons caused by piracy. Every time you download an MP3, the gods set fire to a kitten. That has consequences with real estate people!

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Well you heard it here first.

Is now worse than

In fact let's take this further. Piracy is worse than the slaughtering of innocent civilians in Syria /sarcasm. Get your head out of your arse News Corp.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I hate that statement, that piracy costs the economy money. In a fair percentage of pirates, they weren't going to buy it before, unless it went on sale, or they got it as a gift. They might buy it after they pirate, but certainly not before (ignoring broken copies and the like). That's absurd. "We lost a million sales due to piracy!" No! That was a million sales you wouldn't have had anyway! Don't kid yourself. As for his broken window analogy:

Zombie_Moogle said:
"Illegally downloading [digital content] is the equivalent of smashing a window and taking it"
Except for the fact that there's no smashed window, & the content is right where it was before.
Can everyone please stop buying whatever this guy sells? Just to make me feel better? Please?
Took the words right off my fingertips.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Andy Chalk said:
And he was colorfully unequivocal with his declaration that piracy is theft. "Illegally downloading [digital content] is the equivalent of smashing a window and taking it," he said.
Not really.

If you're just downloading it, it's more like going to a shady store in an alley, where it is presented to you free of charge with infinite copies behind it. All you're doing is taking a copy. You're not breaking into anything, and you're not taking something in the sense that it won't be there once you have it, as you're just taking a copy of it.

I know it's not a perfect analogy, but it's better than his.

Akexi

May 15, 2008
Did this overpaid chode seriously say that making a copy of a bunch of ones and zeroes in a specific order is worse than people being beaten to hell and buildings being set on fire?

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
Kim Williams said:
"Imagine the great works that are not being produced because the digital bandits are creating virtual pirate Globe Theaters and virtual literary magazines and making off with possibly 65 percent of the profits. If you think I'm exaggerating, think again, because the copyright bandits of the paper age of Shakespeare and Dickens had nothing on the copyright kleptomaniacs of the digital age."
Copyright bandits of Shakespeare age had nothing on modern piracy, because Shakespeare's age didn't have copyright laws.

A little trivia that ruins the whole "Copyright infringement is exactly the same as theft" arguement, reveals the silliness of comparing a universal moral law that has been set in stone since the days of Hammurabi and Moses, to a modern legal fiction that was invented in the 18th century at the industrial publishing industry's wishes, with the added benefit of helping the authority censor uncomfortable artists.

Copyright laws didn't ever have the moral authority to call anyone a thief, and now that the age of industrial printing is over, and the internet made every data inherently accessible, they don't even have the the logical basis in real life necessities, to justify their existence.

Mar 7, 2012
This shows just how disconnected people high up can be. Not saying all of them are, but the people who say stupid **** like this are.

A lot of people got mugged, killed and left to rot in the streets. Not to mention the psychological damage to others involved.

And you're saying that copying 1's and 0's is WORSE than that?

Screw you.