Piracy Steals 95% of Microsoft's Revenue in China

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Piracy Steals 95% of Microsoft's Revenue in China

Software piracy is a problem for most developers, but Microsoft's CEO has revealed that it's really bad in China.

There's a lot of chatter in the software industry about the effect piracy has on companies' bottom lines, but most spokespeople are pretty vague when comes down to actual numbers. Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, however, recently explained that piracy had drastically reduced his company's earning in China: Microsoft's revenue in China is 95 percent less than in the United States.

According to Ballmer, the problem isn't as noticeable in other countries where piracy is widespread. In India, Microsoft apparently earned six times more per PC sold than it did in China. On top of that, Ballmer argued that if intellectual property protection was as strong in China as it is in india, than the latter's market would be worth "billions of dollars."

Of course, there's the counter-argument that PCs are too expensive for most Chinese consumers. Ballmer dismissed this claim by saying, "if you can [afford a PC], you could afford the software" and further argued that the country's massive amount of piracy was the result of the government's apathy towards IP protection.

Of course, this isn't really anything new. Software manufacturers have pretty much always had a contentious relationship with China. Of course, most of the blame tends to be leveled at the government itself, which is claiming that it's taking steps to reduce piracy within its borders: The Business Software Alliance announced that 78 percent of software installed on PCs in the country last year was pirated. That wounds pretty appalling until you realize that this number is down from the 86 percent reported in 2005.

Source: <a href=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303654804576347190248544826.html?mod=djemalertTECH>Wall Street Journal via <a href=http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/05/ballmer-piracy-costs-microsoft-95-percent-of-potential-chinese-revenue.ars>Ars Technica via <a href=http://www.gamepolitics.com/2011/05/27/ballmer-piracy-cost-microsoft-95-percent-revenue-china>GamePolitics

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Really, pirates?

This is why I don't like a lot of people. Even though Microsoft probably has billions of dollars to spare, it's still a dick move.

vansau said:
Of course, there's the counter-argument that PCs are too expensive for most Chinese consumers. Ballmer dismissed this claim by saying, "if you can [afford a PC], you could afford the software"
I also FUCKING RAGE at this excuse, especially for people who pirate modern games. If you can afford a PC that can run Portal 2 or Starcraft 2, you can afford the game. Unless you wasted all your money on the computer, then you just fail at logic.

Dec 14, 2009
Isn't 95% of everything in China pirated/fake?

My favourite brand in the Rolexx.

The extra 'X' is intentional.

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
As if most people in the world have the cash to buy their software in the first place.

I believe that if people were forced to buy the software or not, then the popularity of Windows would plumit due to lack of affordabilty and the Linux adoption would soar.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
Don't worry, everyone knows that everyone who pirated is just test driving it in good faith to Microsoft and will purchase it. Piracy is definitely a good thing.

TStormer

Aug 24, 2010
I read that as 'minecraft'

Personally, I see microsoft as a bunch of moneygrabbing applebuckers so I'm not particularly swayed either way.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
In a country where the country owns your house and you have to rent it from them, I am not suprised by this.

For their state to work the Gov't needs their hands in everything. They cannot do this if they aren't allowed affect change in products/services.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Many Chinese people are extremely poor and don't even have electricity or a phone.
The ones that have PC's are likely either scraping by with 5th hand hardware and should use Ubuntu linux. But there is a rich super elite that simply pirates because "why not?". Those should pay. Would not do much for MSFT's bottom line, but still.

And what about that prison that forces inmates to play MMO's to make some money for the corrupt jailors? They surely run Windows for free :p

MisterColeman

Mar 19, 2009
How should China compare to the United States as far as revenue goes? Weird statistic is weird.

You know how many people would have legit Microsoft products in China if they stopped piracy? About the same, maybe less because their would be fewer other users.

Their revenue would be the same either way, there is no theft of revenue. Most people in China can't afford what Microsoft wants them to pay, and yet Microsoft is pretty much required to use decent software unless you are experienced with linux. The amount of linux information available in China? Very very little.

Edit: Kenjitsuka above and Olicon below my post states this issue very well also.

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
This isn't an issue of software piracy, it's an issue of china stealing everything they can get their hands on.

olicon

May 8, 2008
Overstated and pure bullshot.

If MS Windows couldn't be pirated, only 10% of the people with computers right now would even consider buying it. If your demand drops to 10%, it would severely reduce "global demand" of MS, leading to many more businesses switching over to a different product to begin with.

Trust me, getting rid of piracy in developing country is a very tricky business. One less pirate != one more customer. If anything, it almost always lead to smaller acceptance and less global demand.

linkvegeta

Dec 18, 2010
What do you expect. They are super poor. WE make more in 1 year then most of them do in their entire lives.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
You forgot cheap and violating basic human rights as well. China is fail. And I'm really tired of them attacking my goddamn router.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
With so much available as open source, its a wonder people steal software at all.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
Does anyone here live in China, or make a wage equal to that of an average Chinese consumer?

Just wondering.

So basically just a bunch of self-important opinions from sheltered individuals. I'm safe in assuming as such, no?

Forum_Name

Mar 23, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Isn't 95% of everything made in China?

Seriously though, with so much manufacturing work exported to China chances are that a some knockoffs or fakes are even made on the same assembly lines as the authentic.

I suspect that's why the US/EU are in such a tizzy about ACTA and other counter fitting legislation. It's getting to the point where the only difference in many cases is the marketing. ...and as China's own domestic market matures even that will become less relevant.