Piranha 3D: Implications the director almost certainly never intended.

Beowulf DW

Jul 12, 2008
Hello, all.

It's been some time since last I posted anything here, so forgive me if something like this has already been done.

The horror flick, Piranha, has been coming up on one of the ?Epix? channels for quite a while now, and one night not long ago there was nothing else on, so I watched it. (Wow! Was that a run-on sentence or what?) But I digress. This is supposed to be about unintended implications and depth.

OK, so?The whole movie plays out like a fire-and-brimstone-overly-judgmental-holier-than-thou Baptist preacher?s wet dream. An earthquake, a proverbial act of God, unleashes voracious prehistoric fish. This ancient and forgotten force of nature proceeds to slaughter a bunch of hedonistic college kids. The overly sexual frat-boys and sorority girls ignore the warnings of their elders and get ripped to shreds.

This movie unwittingly-I assume unwittingly because it doesn?t seem like that much thought was put into this-characterizes the timeless generational conflict of sexuality. If one continues putting too much thought into Piranha 3D, one could call it a vehement condemnation of the wanton sexuality that my generation seems to revel in.

Well, that?s all folks. Feel free to stone me, now.