Pirate Penguin Stars in Mega Man Dev's Next Game

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Pirate Penguin Stars in Mega Man Dev's Next Game

Mega Man's creator is making an action/RPG starring a pirate penguin. Is there some reason why you wouldn't play it?

Keiji Inafune, best known for his work on the Mega Man, Resident Evil, and Onimusha series, isn't one to rest on his laurels. Even though Capcom has <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113177-Capcom-Wont-Let-Inafune-Finish-Mega-Man-Projects>quashed many of his old projects, Inafune has been hard at work on a title for his new company, Intercept. KAIO - King of Pirates -, an action/RPG for the 3DS, will tell the story of a young penguin who becomes part of a pirate crew. There, he encounters dragon archers, monkeys with staves, and a walrus with a beard in his quest to defeat the evil Leeos, a megalomaniacal lion. Seriously, if no part of that description piques your interest, gaming might not be the right hobby for you.

The game's trailer, which shows only pre-rendered footage but reveals some choice story details. KAIO appears to have all the necessary trappings of a pirate story, including cursed gold, sea serpents, and a yeti who can tear ships apart with lightning. Inafune himself has remained fairly tight-lipped about plot specifics, although he promises a "truly exciting gaming experience" in which "heroes fight for their ambition, justice, and their lives."

Right now, KAIO is set for a 2012 release in Japan. Intercept has no specific plans for a Western release, although the English website and subtitled trailer are promising indications. Does the "Father of Mega Man" have what it takes to create another gaming icon? If a sword-wielding penguin in a bandana doesn't answer that question, I don't know what will.

Source: KAIO - King of Pirates - Official Website [http://www.maql.co.jp/product/kaio/en/index.html]

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
This sounds crazy enough to get me to try it! It was the monkeys with staves that sold me on it.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
inb4 QQ about Legends 3.

Looks... cute? I'd have to see some kind of gameplay, hard to get hyped over an original IP, despite the creator's reputation.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
what did I just watch? Looks interesting, but really, fuck these japanese only games

messy

Dec 3, 2008
If you watch the trailer it plays very much (very very much) like dynasty warriors. The penguin and his two right hand men are stand ins for Liu Bei, Zhang Fei and Guan Yu.

The lion seems rather Dong Zhu esque, and there's essentially zhuge liang in the form of a dragon.

I mean don't get me wrong it looks epic and I really hope it comes to the UK but it does seem to be romance of the three kingdoms.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
I do believe there was a source somewhere saying it was partially inspired by RotTK...
I dunno.
It looks awesome, though.
Looks like Inafune gave me a reason to buy a 3DS.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/05/marvelous-aql-already-made-a-subtitled-kaio-king-of-pirates-trailer/

There we go. According to that article, its inspired by RotTK and will have over 300 characters.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
This looks pretty awesome.

But, Am I the only one getting a romance of the three kingdoms vibe? Look at the two guys with the penguin, there weapons look a lot like Guan Yu, and Zhang Feis weapons. And in the trailer they call the penguin brother which reminds me of the oath of the peach tree. So I guess that would make the penguin Liu Bei.

EDIT: looks like I should read the comments first.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
funksobeefy said:
what did I just watch? Looks interesting, but really, fuck these japanese only games
Well the website already has an English option so I assume there planning on releasing an English version.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
They had me at pirate penguins.

And then I noticed that one of em's a monkey. Pirate MONKEYS. As if it wasn't already awesome enough.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
funksobeefy said:
Well the website already has an English option so I assume there planning on releasing an English version.
Yeah very true, but you know those Japanese, they love taunting us westerners with there strange games.

Also I would buy a 3DS for this game, I for one love th Romance of the 3 kingdoms setting. My favorite games of all time include Dynasty Warriors 3, 4 and 5

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Hmmmm, this looks VERY Japanese Mr. Inafune. Care to explain why you think it's okay for YOU to be very Japanese but no one else?

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Aiddon said:
Hmmmm, this looks VERY Japanese Mr. Inafune. Care to explain why you think it's okay for YOU to be very Japanese but no one else?
Inafune recognizes that making a 'Western' game for the sake of being 'Western' is really stupid.
Probably.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Aiddon said:
I think he was talking about business practices, not art style.