Pirates Beat DSi Patch One Day After Release

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Nintendo, I love ya, I really do. But you're wasting your time here. Pirates have WAY more free time and desire to steal shit get free stuff. Seriously, people who hack the DSi of all systems probably don't have much else to do, or REALLY want those games... I'm going to avoid a anti-piracy rant here...

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
This is why you don't try.

All you do is remove potential features from legitimate customers in order to slow down pirates, in this case, for about a day.

Worth it, right?

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
standokan said:
Then again, noone really cares about the DSi anymore now the 3DS is out..
Nobody really wants a 3DS either, so, wait what?

Xzi said:
I give the 3DS a year before it's cracked. I'm probably being way too generous, though.
I'm going to call it hacked before Desert Bus.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Its real simple people. Its software. Software is a set of instructions to the hardware. Those instructions no matter how well garbled can always be ungarbled and copied. No matter what! As long as software exists, piracy will exist. Its not a maybe answer, its just the way it is. The sooner these boardroom morons talk to the programmers and figure this out the better we'll all be.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I'm not sure you should be posting a link to that video...

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
Anybody else think that 2011 is turning out to be the year for pirates and renegades when you put events like this alongside all the Sony/GeoHot/Anonymous merry-making?

Ytinasni

Apr 27, 2011
ionveau said:
Arachon said:
I just wish there was some way to run homebrew without enabling piracy at the same time.
Who cares? i blasting music on my custom DSI music player right now, So what if lets you pirate games my computer lets me pirate games BUT SO WHAT?

Honestly i hope your trolling.

Why, because he proposes an idealistic world where we can do what we want with our hardware without pirating software?

Foxi Qnet

May 3, 2011
I have no idea why they're still trying. The DS framework has a fatal flaw due to it's header-recognizing system that simply cannot be removed. Whatever they'll do to the DSi firmware, the cart producers just have to change the header of their cart to another one and the problem is magically fixed.

It's a battle they cannot possibly win, the money they're spending on anti-piracy on the DSi should be pumped into the 3DS, otherwise it's just throwing it into the mud.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
And so continues the eternal arms race between pirates and software developers.

Frankly it sounds like lots of trouble to go about pirating games, not worth the time if you ask me. I think I'll keep paying for my games and not go the route of having to gut my console and perform a voodoo ritual to invoke the gods of haxorz to bypass a patch.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
50% of European sales?
Half the people who own a DS wouldn't have the first CLUE how to handle firmware and homebrew. From what I hear, it's not exactly easy to find an R4 card online in the first place either.

I'd say it might effect perhaps... 10% of sales at a stretch. Still big numbers, yes, but massively more realistic than a proposed 50. That just reeks of excuse.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
Arachon said:
ionveau said:
Who cares? i blasting music on my custom DSI music player right now, So what if lets you pirate games my computer lets me pirate games BUT SO WHAT?

Honestly i hope your trolling.
Trolling? The fact that homebrew games do allow the running of cracked games is great leverage for the manufacturers to prevent users from accessing a system that is rightfully theirs to tinker with. And since we all know corporations don't give two shits about consumer's rights, a "middle ground" is really the only way I can see an end to this cat and mouse game, without locking out homebrew users.

I hate to break it to you but they would NEVER allow their product to be homebrewable why you may ask? well you see they wont see any money out of it. if i can play pong on my DS why would i play Mario pong?

If i can play snake why would i buy mario snake?
If i can play RPG maker games why would i buy an RPG?

Trust me there is a reason why Iphones have there own istore for APPs
There is a reason why consoles disprove of home brew devlopers
That reason is because homebrew reduces actual game sales.

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
Now they just need to get around region locking on the 3DS. I may actually buy a 3DS if that happens...

(Being european forces you to import)

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Nintendo, I hate pirates as much as you do. However, you are never going to be able to beat them, snort of a tactical nuclear strike.

Nothing makes pirates want to do something more than telling them they cannot.

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
ionveau said:
I hate to break it to you but they would NEVER allow their product to be homebrewable why you may ask? well you see they wont see any money out of it. if i can play pong on my DS why would i play Mario pong?

If i can play snake why would i buy mario snake?
If i can play RPG maker games why would i buy an RPG?

Trust me there is a reason why Iphones have there own istore for APPs
There is a reason why consoles disprove of home brew devlopers
That reason is because homebrew reduces actual game sales.
Yes, I am aware of this, I was merely dreaming.

Bob the frantic

Sep 5, 2009
I think the pirates are actually taking less time to get past the updates.

Maybe Nintendo should focus on making people buy their games than stopping pirates. Might get the sales higher than these waste of time and bandwidth patches.