Pirates Love Game of Thrones

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Pirates Love Game of Thrones

Game of Thrones has become the most pirated TV show of the spring season.

According to numbers from TorrentFreak, the TV adaptation of George R.R. Martin's tale of swords, sorcery and unmitigated bastardry, is really popular amongst viewers of the swashbuckling persuasion. Each episode of the show has been downloaded approximately 3,900,000 times during the season that ended on June 1st 2012, beating out How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory, which had 2,830,000 and 2,750,000 per episode respectively. Keep in mind, these numbers only account for episodes downloaded via BitTorrent.

What's interesting is that pirates make up a far larger percentage of Game of Thrones' viewers than they do for its competitors, at least in the states. Many argue this is due to the fact that Game of Thrones is owned by HBO, a company oddly reluctant to take people's money. [http://takemymoneyhbo.com] The show is notoriously difficult to view for those without cable. Even HBO's online streaming service, HBO Go, requires a subscription to HBO's cable service. Throw in the frequent airing delays - the show is particularly popular in Australia, where episodes are aired one week after their US counterparts - and it's easy to see why many viewers, international and otherwise, are turning to piracy for their Tyrion fix.

Currently, the show is on track to replace Showtime's Dexter as the most pirated TV-show of 2012.

Source: TorrentFreak [https://torrentfreak.com/game-of-thrones-most-pirated-tv-show-of-the-season-120608/]

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Each episode of the show has been downloaded approximately 3,9000,000 times during the season that ended on June 1st 2012, beating out How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory, which had 2,830,000 and 2,750,000 per episode respectively.
3,9000,000 times, eh? How would you put that number into words? (Yes, I realize it's a typo. Still.)

It's funny though, because I was considering watching GoT over the interwebs. My provider doesn't show it, and I keep getting told that I absolutely must watch it because otherwise life is not worth living.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
Monkeylord said:
They paid the iron price
It really annoys me when people describe it as that, I feel that it glorifies what is a shameful & unethical action.

Then again, despite how awesome 'paying the iron price' sounds, it too is a shameful & unethical action, so I suppose the comparison is fairly accurate.

OT: I think we all knew most people were pirating this show, but it's nice to have some hard numbers. And though I am firmly against piracy, I have to admit, expecting people to pay for cable & a subscription to HBO so that they can watch this one show is ridiculous.

That's why I buy the series on DVD.

Captcha: that's enough

Even Captcha wants me to stop with my moralising. Fine, I'll shut up now.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
http://alltheragefaces.com/img/faces/large/neutral-pirate-poker-face-l.png

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
I'm a huge of fan of GRRM, and A Song of Ice and Fire is by far my favorite book series of all time.

But do I want to pay for HBO? Nope. I pirated it...then bought the juicy Blu-Ray special case edition when it came out.

After all...A Lannister pays his debts.

joeman098

Jun 18, 2007
I downloaded the 1st season before i realized since i had HBO i had HBO go so i could just watch the 1st season online derp lol

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Piracy is a service problem. If HBO isn't willing to sell the product (without forcing you to subscribe to HBO) then it's gonna get pirated.

SHUT AND TAKE MY MONEY

If not, well, I tried. I'll watch it and you won't get my money.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
I admit I'm one of those 3.9M, the show still isn't on here (I believe they will start showing S1 in the fall). And if I want any chance to watch it (semi-)un-spoilered I have to pirate. I did get the DVD-box when I came out and am planning on doing the same for S2, so I don't feel too bad about it.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
This is one case where the "provide a better service" strategy applies. HBO is behind the times. They have some of the best shows, but aren't so accessible. They could so easily fix this by tweaking their HBO Go service. Why is a cable/satellite subscription necessary for it? Make an option to subscribe directly to HBO Go or to use it through the existing cable/satellite subscription. Provide HD video with no commercial interruptions (they'll have ads on the site or the application anyway, right?) and make it compatible with mobile devices.

Maybe that sounds like I'm asking for a lot. Maybe I am. But that's how you "beat" piracy. These companies need to stop treating piracy like a crime to be stomped (whether it is or not) and start treating it like competition.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
The DVD didn't even come out until just recently, well after season 1 had ended. I'd say HBO shot itself in the foot by having next to NO online streaming. HBO needs to stop hoarding their shows and start airing episodes online in conjunction with the myriad of streaming websites. It's becoming increasingly hard to envision a world where people are chained to the schedules of a mere cable provider.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
I've stuck with just reading the books. They're better anyway, and since I live in Australia it wouldn't be worth bothering to watch the show.

sniddy_v1legacy

Jul 10, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Well unless they stop screwing around with the plot, the problem will have resolved itself halfway through the third season.
I know, my wife how hasn't read the books was all excited about the end of season 2....I need to re-read the books, half of what's going on I can't recall having happened like that...and the ending seems....wrong

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
Living in Australia makes it reasonably difficult to watch a lot of series without having pirated them first (unless you're in a pay-TV compatible area), having said that, I'll only download a series if I know I'll be purchasing the DVD/BluRays upon their release, which is exactly the case with 'Game of Thrones'.

NeonAnderson

May 27, 2009
I would GLADLY pay to see Game of Thrones, but that being said I have NO WHERE to pay to see it?!?!!

I mean how stupid is that!!! I WANT TO PAY for it but they WONT LET ME PAY FOR IT. Meaning I have NO way to see it at all unless I pirate it. Go figure then why it is so pirated!

I'm willing to bet that 95 percent of the people pirating it have no way to see it unless they pirate it, just as it is in my case.

I'm sure the bluray and dvd sales will be really good though of Game of Thrones :)

In general I am quite against pirating stuff. I think if you want to see/play something you should buy it or simply not see/play it at all. But that situation presumes you have the CHOICE to pay for it! If a company is unable to provide it that you can even pay for it then it doesn't even give you the choice of ever paying for it. Meaning you only can play/use a service/watch a show etc... if you pirate it.

Just like Gabe Newell has stated repeatedly; piracy is not the consumer trying to get out of paying for a product or service, it is the inability of the company to provide the service/product correctly to the consumer. Gabe Newell also said the only way to avoid your products and services being pirated is by providing the quality and features of your service or product that the consumers want at the price they want to pay for it.

Piracy is such a complex thing to and far too many companies do not fully understand it, one of the few that has it nailed is Gabe Newell.