Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales Being Held for Ransom by Hackers

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales Being Held for Ransom by Hackers

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1406/1406161.jpgThe newest Pirates of the Caribbean film has reportedly been stolen and is being held for ransom.

Hackers have apparently grabbed a full copy of Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, and they are threatening to release it on the internet unless Disney pays out a sizable ransom. According to Deadline [http://deadline.com/2017/05/pirates-of-the-caribbean-dead-men-tell-no-tales-hackers-ransom-1202094203/], the hackers have demanded, "an enormous amount of money be paid to Bitcoin."

Disney CEO Bob Iger revealed the incident to ABC employees in a meeting in New York yesterday, although he did not name the movie. The company has offered no official comment, but Deadline says that insiders told it that the company refused to pay, and Disney is working with the FBI.

Hector Monsegur, Director of Security Assessments for Rhino Security Labs, said of the demands, "All these companies like Disney, Netflix and Discovery may have very good security teams but you have all these vendors and small production companies which don't have great security and probably don't have the budget to focus on their own security so hackers get in pretty easily. Remember back in the day when movies would leak online and they would go to a pirate bay? Now there has been a shift with the advent of ransomware so (these companies) are getting demands to pay for their own IP. Any studio is going to have a problem moving forward protecting their IPs."

Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales is scheduled to hit theaters on May 26.

[gallery=7379]

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Blackmailing the House of Mouse. Splendid idea! Can't go wrong.

On a less serious note, I don't suppose the ransomers can't string along Disney as long as possible, giving the rest of us a temporary reprieve from this movie?

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Movie Culture is so toxic. They need to focus on the innovative art that my friends are doing on their phone cameras instead.

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
Chimpzy said:
I can imagine this turning out similar to a mafia film, where Disney sends elite hitmen after the hackers. Mind you, they'd probably do it given the chance.

4Aces

May 29, 2012
This is the same type of excuse used for such flops as the entire Resident Evil movie series. So I would not be surprised if the "breach" was less about good hacking, and more likely an 'ooops, I accidentally disabled the firewall and now need to go get a pizza, before I can turn it back on' situation. Pessimistic me just lowered expectation for this movie from a 6.0 to a 4.0.

It is always those damned pirates!

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Wait? People care enough about this movie to hold it for ransom?

I almost suspect this is a hoax to drum up publicity for a film most people don't particularity care about.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
A pirate film made by pirates about pirates for pirates, is being held hostage for loot?
YAAARRGH, that's a tale to be told around the table of the tavern, with willing wenches wandering without.

Something fishy down below methinks!

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Sooo... people's medical details being vastly hacked with ransomware internationally somehow not worth a mention, but the latest pirates of the Caribbean being swept up in the same attack is? Like...what?? Am i just going insane? Is this down to what's assumed to be more financially damaging?

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
i dont see why they would pay. i mean, the type of people that will go online to check out the pirated version of the movie will probably wont pay to see it in theatre anyway...

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
cathou said:
i dont see why they would pay. i mean, the type of people that will go online to check out the pirated version of the movie will probably wont pay to see it in theatre anyway...
I disagree. With the whole "everyone is connected" society we have atm, this could cost them A LOT of money.

OT: i think disney should film this whole thing and turn it into a movie. Isnt Disney like the Mafia of childrens movies?

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Dalisclock said:

I almost suspect this is a hoax to drum up publicity for a film most people don't particularity care about.
The hackers don't care about the movie- they just care about those sweet, SWEET Disney dollars. Releasing the film for free could result in massive losses in profit for Disney so they are threatening to do just that unless they are paid.

You might just be being sarcastic though- if so, just ignore me.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Borty The Bort said:
Chimpzy said:
I can imagine this turning out similar to a mafia film, where Disney sends elite hitmen after the hackers. Mind you, they'd probably do it given the chance.
Well you know what they say, "Dead men tell no tales".

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Lufia Erim said:
Borty The Bort said:
Chimpzy said:
anyone else want to see a movie about a disney hit squad dressed as the mascots?

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
pookie101 said:
Lufia Erim said:
Borty The Bort said:
Chimpzy said:
anyone else want to see a movie about a disney hit squad dressed as the mascots?
Anyone remember that South Park episode with the psycho-Mickey kicking the crap out of the Jonas Brothers? Something like that would be sufficient.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
Sooo... people's medical details being vastly hacked with ransomware internationally somehow not worth a mention, but the latest pirates of the Caribbean being swept up in the same attack is? Like...what?? Am i just going insane? Is this down to what's assumed to be more financially damaging?
Well, The Escapist does cover movies. And they discuss computers/software. So, maybe this particular combination of movies and computer piracy was just enough to qualify the article for publication on The Escapist. Ransomware and medical information? That doesn't quite make the cut.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
JUMBO PALACE said:
Dalisclock said:

The hackers don't care about the movie- they just care about those sweet, SWEET Disney dollars. Releasing the film for free could result in massive losses in profit for Disney so they are threatening to do just that unless they are paid.

You might just be being sarcastic though- if so, just ignore me.
Kinda sorta. I get what they're doing, but I also stopped caring about PoTC around World's End, when it was obvious they were totally out of ideas, and then On Stranger Tides somehow managed to be nothing like the novel it's supposedly based off of and awful to boot.

There's also the fact Cell Phone video cameras are kinda everywhere now and it's a quick trip from there to Piratebay or Youtube, so there's that.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Oh, so that's what the other thread was about...

Must be a publicity stunt. I mean, come on. Bitcoin? Why not ask for Monopoly money? It amounts to the same thing.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Dalisclock said:
I also stopped caring about PoTC around World's End
At World's End was good! I really don't know why people keep crapping on the second and third PoTC's.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
FalloutJack said:
Oh, so that's what the other thread was about...

Must be a publicity stunt. I mean, come on. Bitcoin? Why not ask for Monopoly money? It amounts to the same thing.
One bitcoin is worth around $1800. They're hugely popular in underground circles for a reason.
Arnoxthe1 said:
I really don't know why people keep crapping on the second and third PoTC's.
Mostly because of their bloat. They became a mess of masturbatory CGI bullcrap, interweaving plot lines and all kinds of characters that barely had any depth to them. There was so much not one part got the attention it needed, leaving it all very messy.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Clankenbeard said:
Well, The Escapist does cover movies. And they discuss computers/software. So, maybe this particular combination of movies and computer piracy was just enough to qualify the article for publication on The Escapist. Ransomware and medical information? That doesn't quite make the cut.
Hmmm, but it's specifically taking out a part of a much larger news story to highlight only that, while ignoring the arguably more impactful side to the public. Plus...

Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales is scheduled to hit theaters on May 26.
You can't plug an upcoming high-budget/profile release with serious news.