Pirates Pillage The Sims 3's Poop Deck

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Pirates Pillage The Sims 3's Poop Deck

The latest Sims 3 expansion will add eyepatch-wearing scallywags and plenty of scurvy.

I don't get excited over the announcement of a new Sims expansion often, mostly because there have been thousands of them, but EA's latest has a theme we can all get into: pirates. Revealed today was Barnacle Bay, a downloadable Sims 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Sims-3-Pc/dp/B00166N6SA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1283300710&sr=8-1] expansion pack that will fill the game with pirates from shore to shore.

Well, maybe not from shore to shore, but it'll add a brand new pirate-filled world at least. Barnacle Bay features 50 new characters to find including gypsies, ghosts, and pirates. It isn't a totally pirate-focused area, but players will be able to eat in the nautical Hogan's Deep Sea Diner and catch bar fights at The Wanderer's Watering Hole pub. They'll also be able to build their own pirate-themed houses with new objects such as porthole doors and wharf fences. The ultimate pirate destination will be the super-secret Pirate's Hideaway, if players can find it.

Not to worry, EA is also releasing the Buccaneer's Bounty, a pirate clothing set of 7 items such as hats and boots, but it won't include a peg leg unfortunately. Players also regretfully will remain landlocked and won't be able to sail the seven seas of Barnacle Bay. I'm liking the partial themes of each of the Sims 3 expansion packs we've seen so far though, featuring vampires [http://www.amazon.com/Sims-World-Adventures-Expansion-Pack-Mac/dp/B002NILFB0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1283300710&sr=8-4] in the past, and now pirates.

Barnacle Bay will be released exclusively as a download on the online Sims 3 store [http://store.thesims3.com/] for a TBD price on September 23.

Source: IGN [http://pc.ign.com/articles/111/1117095p1.html]

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
...no one's going to say it?

Fine, I'll do it.

[HEADING=2]IRONY![/HEADING]

Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009
Druyn said:
If pirates are here, then ninjas cant be far behind.
Damn straight!

OT: I'm really interested to see how this works. Not many hardcore gamers play the Sims, on a regular basis, anyway, but pirates have always been a supremely nerdy thing. I don't think that many casual gamers will be too interested in this.

But, we'll have to wait and see. I'll keep an eye on this DLC, see what the reception is.

Furious Styles

Jul 10, 2010
The pirates may be in the game but they're the ones committing daylight robbery.

Badum-tish

Actually, this does seem like one of the less clearly-left-out-to-make-money expansions the sims has ever had.

mrwoo112

Jul 15, 2010
You could dress up as a ninja in the second. and im sure theres one were you go to fudal looking japan...

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Yay! More DLC to milk consumers. I mean fuck, 50 dollars is just not enough for a game. Oh, and I don't consider minimal amount of content an expansion.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Okay, I love the Sims 3 (don't judge), but this shit annoys me. I spent $80 on the game then every few months they release new packs for it. Why didn't the original game come with it? Seriously, there are new furniture packs out now that should have come out with the original game.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
I'm glad I left my Legacy Challenge at the door of Sims 3 vanilla and didn't cross the threshold.

oranger

May 27, 2008
They're STILL making sims games? I got over the sims long before they started releasing expansions...after all, doesn't custom content kinda trump any DLC/expansion?

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I think they've now officially covered the entire NinjaPirateZombieRobot spectrum in the Sims franchise.

I'll admit it---I've given EA way too much of my money on their digital ant farm over the years. It may not be standard policy for a core gamer to admit this, but I like The Sims.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
They're going to have to come up with something far better to get me to go back to the sim games. I'm still praying for Sim City 5 of some other advanced city builder to come out.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Let's see how these so-called "Pirates" stand up to my psychological, ummm, tests...

Mimssy

Dec 1, 2009
SimuLord said:
I think they've now officially covered the entire NinjaPirateZombieRobot spectrum in the Sims franchise.

I'll admit it---I've given EA way too much of my money on their digital ant farm over the years. It may not be standard policy for a core gamer to admit this, but I like The Sims.
There's something oddly satisfying about making a quaint little home or gaudy mansion and controlling the people who inhabit it.