Pirating Game Dev Tycoon Dooms Players to be Ruined By Piracy

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Pirating Game Dev Tycoon Dooms Players to be Ruined By Piracy

and comes with no DRM means that gamers these days have no excuse for pirating the game.

"If years down the track you wonder why there are no games like these anymore and all you get to play is pay-to-play and social games designed to suck money out of your pockets then the reason will stare back at you in the mirror," warns Klugg, on a website set up [http://www.greenheartgames.com/game-dev-tycoon-free-full-torrent-cracked-download/] to specifically target people looking for a cracked version, asking them nicely to reconsider.

"We are just two guys working our butts off, trying to start our own game studio to create games which are fun to play," says Klugg. Amen to that brother. If you agree with him, and can spare the eight bucks, you can buy the game for Mac, Linux and Windows from the Green Heart Games website. [http://sites.fastspring.com/greenheartgames/product/gamedevtycoon]

Source & Image: Green Heart Games [http://www.greenheartgames.com/game-dev-tycoon-free-full-torrent-cracked-download/]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I like this guy, not just for getting the message out in a clever way, but because he talks as a person to other people rather than a PR executive trying to reassure share holders.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
pirating a game made about making games makes the game make pirates.. pirateception! gamecept... pirgamcep... gampires...gam...

Incepinception!

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
It's a bit heavy handed but still kind of funny, especially that the pirates then went on the forums and started complaining.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
doggie015 said:
It's nice that they released a demo rather than just doing this with the only other option being the full game (Which is why piracy is even a thing to begin with! People like to try before they buy!). I'll give the demo a shot and if I like it then I'll buy it.

I also have to LOL at the pirates asking for help on the forum!
It isn't the first time pirates have done so.

The first Arkham Asylum game had a similar anti-pirate feature where Batmans cape wouldn't open for him to glide across a poison cloud.

Cue people asking for a fix to stop the 'glitch'

This is what they got in reply;

The problem you have encountered is a hook in the copy protection, to catch out people who try and download cracked versions of the game for free.

It's not a bug in the game's code, it's a bug in your moral code.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94524-Arkham-Asylum-Pirates-Get-a-Gimpy-Batman

I wish this was more common, because it sure beats out Always Online!

Captcha: mars rover (yes Captcha, those are the intergalactic penis drawing machines)

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I liked the Serious Sam 3 anti-piracy thing. Tiny pink invincible scorpion monster chases you around constantly.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
This is a great way to not only promote anti-piracy, but to let everyone know who the pirates are and laugh at them. More games should have these kinds of things instead of systems that fuck everyone over.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
While this could be a funny way of deterring pirates and teaching them a lesson, there are serious consequences the developers will have to contend with while doing stunts like these. "Titan's Quest" was a pretty good action RPG similar to "Diablo" at the time, and it had DRM that triggered a series of bugs in the game when it detected it was pirated.

The results turned out bad as several pirates reported the game was buggy and not as good, which discouraged legitimate customers from purchasing the game. Just as the Anodyne developers used piracy as a way to promote positive word-of-mouth feedback for their game, the developers for "Titan's Quest" accidentally made negative word-of-mouth feedback on their game due to DRM like this.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
Though I totally agree with the method and consequence of his actions by announcing it he screws it up. Wait a few days, the 'bugged' crack would have been analysed fixed and a new torrent will be available for download. The Dev should have kept his mouth shut on this one..

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
marurder said:
Though I totally agree with the method and consequence of his actions by announcing it he screws it up. Wait a few days, the 'bugged' crack would have been analysed fixed and a new torrent will be available for download. The Dev should have kept his mouth shut on this one..
But it's not really an anti-piracy measure, keeping quiet wouldn't accomplish anything. He doesn't 'screw' anything up by announcing it - by announcing it he just got his game a lot more publicity than it otherwise would have received. That's a win right there I'd say.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
Mmhhh, is it wrong that I want to pirate the game now, just for the challange of trying to beat their system?

It's a fun idea though.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Ah yes, another tale where the pirates fail (at first; just look at AC2). Such, such awesomeness. Now this is something I can get over, unlike always online DRM, which go to hell, shag Satan, perform many acts ranging from morally grey to unequivocably evil and I STILL wouldn't still call it evil enough.

... I apologize if I offended any religion with this post.

[small](AKA PM me if this offends you)[/small]

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
This is a legitimate work of art. The game is not my cup of tea but I have a lot of respect for people making a point in such a clever and subtle way. Fair play to them.

Who pirates the pirates...

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
I kinda wanna play the pirated version.

I want to see if I can beat it despite itself. >:3

JazzJack2

Feb 10, 2013
But piracy doesn't make developers lose money, in fact it does the opposite, devs gain money from piracy.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I don't like anyone in this story. I believe pirates are pulling us closer to a f2p future (not in a good way), but there isn't anything worse than developers who straight up rip off their competitors. Don't buy this game to show support for developers hit by piracy. Buy Game Dev Story to show support for the above, as well as support for devs who see their products cloned by douches like these.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Witty, smart, cool, fun, adorable. Way to go.

However, I'd have to disagree on one thing: Global distribution and regional asshattery is exactly the one thing that can be used to somewhat justify not being happy with the world.

That is - of course - not part of this everything-free mentality, but it's the one thing that made me stop pre-ordering, made me wary of any distributor, annoys me with Sony and has repeatedly bit me up me bum with Valve.

Oooh, you now reside in Germany? Here, let me give you a localized German version, censored for your own good, as the uncensored version would be too harsh and probably land you in jail like pedophiles, rapists and other assorted wrongdoers.

Oooh, you're hailing from France now? How thrilling! Here, we're absolutely sure you want to play your games in French now, oui?

OOOOOoohh, you moved again? That can't possibly be true, now, can it! So, friend, customer, client, let me block your account for your own safety, you like that, now, don't you?

No. I don't like that. I also don't like getting censored, mutilated, dubbed or otherwise mangled versions of games I bought with real money. I don't like not getting what I want. I don't like getting random stuff accumulating in my online accounts that I cannot get rid off.