Pirating Game Dev Tycoon Dooms Players to be Ruined By Piracy

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Use kickstarter -> Piracy offset by pre-paid fan funds + more artistic freedom -> Problem solved.

Or, you know just consider the fact that most great artists throughout history made their work for it's own sake, without neutering it for mass appeal out of fear of profit margin expectations.

If you're a consumer, don't pirate shit without buying it. You should show your appreciation for an artists work, and your desire to see more from them.
If you're an artist, don't ***** about piracy. You're missing the point of art if profit is what you're in the business for, not to mention that if someone pirated it, that means someone experienced something you made, which should be what you wanted in the first place.

Hugums

Mar 14, 2011
Yeah it's great and all but it makes it impossible to search for ACTUAL reviews of the game without people praising the astounding way they've dealt with piracy. For the record, I downloaded the demo and it's pretty mediocre.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
MrGalactus said:
Or, you know just consider the fact that most great artists throughout history made their work for it's own sake, without neutering it for mass appeal out of fear of profit margin expectations.
The great artists got paid to make it. Michelangelo didn't spend years painting the Pope's ceiling without compensation. Mozart was contracted to write The Magic Flute. Dickens was paid by the word for his exceptionally long stories and expected to make a "tidy thousand pounds" off of A Christmas Carol. And, yes, Shakespeare's plays were, indeed, neutered for mass appeal, mostly out of fear of offending his paying audiences. Tolkien spent a good chunk of time wrestling with the publishing pirates of his day who profited off his work.

Which uncompensated artists did you have in mind?

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Veylon said:
MrGalactus said:
The great artists got paid to make it. Michelangelo didn't spend years painting the Pope's ceiling without compensation. Mozart was contracted to write The Magic Flute. Dickens was paid by the word for his exceptionally long stories and expected to make a "tidy thousand pounds" off of A Christmas Carol. And, yes, Shakespeare's plays were, indeed, neutered for mass appeal, mostly out of fear of offending his paying audiences. Tolkien spent a good chunk of time wrestling with the publishing pirates of his day who profited off his work.

Which uncompensated artists did you have in mind?
So people should only bother with realising their artistic ideas if there's personal benefit involved? That just seems cynical, and definitely misses the point of art by a mile.

Anyway, the ones off the top of my head, Van Gogh, Kafka, Thoreau, Bach, Edgar Allan Poe, that photojournalist from the American Civil War that I can't remember the name of, Socrates, John Keats, every female artist pre-20th century, and thousands of revolutionary mathematicians and scientists that were ridiculed into obscurity. There's hundreds more great cultural heavyweights that went unappreciated and penniless in their own time, but I can't think of them.

Anyway, even if every legitimate artist ever made a trillion dollars, I think my point remains the same. Art has a purpose, to contribute to culture through one person's unique point of view, it's not there for reward.

I really wish the word "Art" had a synonym I could think of. The word is starting to do that thing where it goes all numb and just sounds like a deaf noise.

locoartero

Jan 3, 2011
MonkeyPunch said:
I absolutely love stuff like this. Totally awesome.
Why is it happening? Because of people just like you :)

Though I still have a bit of sadness that even with the most in your face practical example of how this user's pirating is detrimental I know that they still won't get it/learn the lesson. Sad.
Reminds me of the PC pirates in Rocksteady's forum after the first Arkham and the "it's a bug in your moral code" burn

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Devil Survivor 2 did something like this. The first boss in the game is immortal until a plot specific event happens, but that event doesn't happen on pirated copies.

Anyway, I think this was a really neat idea, but I'm still going to pass on this game. I'd rather just play Kairosoft's Game Dev Story.

Hey look, a post that isn't filled with quotes from the past 10 pages or so :) Hooray.

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
This is the funniest way to get out an anti-piracy message ever.
Calibanbutcher said:
TopazFusion said:
It would be easy to get around though. In the sim, just make all your games "always online". That'll stop the pirates!

I think I love you, you mangificent mod you.

That was probably the best burn I have read all week...
all of the yes to this.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
MrGalactus said:
If you're an artist, don't ***** about piracy. You're missing the point of art if profit is what you're in the business for, not to mention that if someone pirated it, that means someone experienced something you made, which should be what you wanted in the first place.
Independent Developer.
Depends on Games to pay for rent and food.
Game gets pirated instead of bought.
-He should be happy someone experienced what he made, he doesn't need food!-

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Even after becoming a jaded netizen, I am absolutely appalled by the amount of oversimplification in this thread.

So there's only "starving artists" and "money-grubbing exploiters", eh?

No middle ground?

No?

You can't make something great, offer it at a reasonable price that allows people to experience it and pays your rent?

Huh. Okay. Fine then. I'm sorry I even asked.

Sindwiller

Mar 15, 2008
Anyway, the ones off the top of my head, Van Gogh, Kafka, Thoreau, Bach, Edgar Allan Poe, that photojournalist from the American Civil War that I can't remember the name of, Socrates, John Keats, every female artist pre-20th century, and thousands of revolutionary mathematicians and scientists that were ridiculed into obscurity. There's hundreds more great cultural heavyweights that went unappreciated and penniless in their own time, but I can't think of them.
Bach worked for the church (which he hated to do), Edgar Allan Poe lived a miserable life with massive financial uncertainty, Socrates wasn't an aritst, nor did he leave any written works (though it is true that he apparently didn't charge for the attendance of his lectures), Kafka had a prober job as a lawyer. EVERYBODY needs a source of revenue. If - to summarise the logical conclusion that can be drawn from this thread - you are so foolish as to depend on your art or creative/scientific work as a source of revenue, you're bound to get f*cked.

Seriously, is that it? I can somewhat understand the stance towards huge, corrupt companies, AAA titles with shitty generic plots and gameplay and poor customer service - but if you're seriously justifying screwing a single hard working individual over, there must be something wrong with you. I know that's an argument that has been sucked dry, but just because your salary is not depending on factors such as whether people feel like spending money for the work you've done and you can't thus really empathise with people in his condition (even though you might not admit that) doesn't mean that you can easily whitewash the troubles he's in. Especially when his income depends on whether people think it adequate to pay the price of an ordinary meal at a decent restaurant (indie games are even cheaper in comparison in CH). No wonder he moved away from that field.

Heart doesn't pay rent or buy groceries.
Amen.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Reminds me of the stat maxed Invader that would constantly hound the player of copy of Dark Souls that got sold too early.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Devoneaux said:
Tara Callie said:
At the end of the day, game design is not a charity. It costs a lot of money to make games and these people need to be able to put food on the table, no matter if it's a tiny indie studio run by two guys, or a monolithic company like EA or Valve.

Piracy is not a service issue, or an issue of customer satisfaction. Most piracy is the result of wanting something for nothing. If you are the kind of person who is going to pirate a game, nobody is inclined to listen to you when you talk about a company's business practices or whatever other garbage you are going to spew. You are not a customer at this point, your opinion is null and void. Companies do not listen to pirates, they have no reason to. Why would a company even bother trying to convince people not to pirate their game? They're going to do it anyway, because they want free stuff.
The part I bolded requires you to provide numerical data that proves it, otherwise you're full of crap.

The part I Italicized is where my disagreement lies. The notion that someone cannot provide valuable feedback for your game simply because they didn't give you a few sheets of cloth that the government says is worth something...Is patently wrong. Whether or not someone gives you a banknote has nothing to do with weather or not they can point out flaws in your product.
Because you didn't give the developers any money for that game. Why should they listen to you? When they make a sequel and fix all the flaws, you'll probably just pirate that too.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
I applaud the creators even if this doesnt stop piracy at least they are thinking outside the box

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
ensouls said:
A little heavy-handed for a clone of Game Dev Story.

Yeah I hate how battlefield 3 is basically a clone of wolfenstein.

Have you played GDT? If you have, you'd know that it's a fuckload more detailed than GDS.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
ensouls said:
A little heavy-handed for a clone of Game Dev Story.
Its a Brilliant game, and apart from some bubbles has just as much to do with Dev Story as Dev Story has to do with the hundreds of game developing sims that's been around since the 80's.

Just saying.