Pitt Takes Charge in World War Z Trailer

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Pitt Takes Charge in World War Z Trailer

Brad Pitt puts on his best 'reluctant hero' face as he goes out to save World War Z from running zombies.

A new trailer is out for World War Z, the movie based on Max Brooks' zombie apocalypse novel of the same name, and it's pretty clear who's the hero of this picture: Brad Pitt, in his best gee-I-don't-wanna-but-okay mode. Clearly being separated from his family is a bit of a wrench, but thank goodness he's around, otherwise we'd all be zombie burgers.

Brooks' novel was adapted by Damon Lindelof (Cowboys vs Aliens, Lost), and Matthew Michael Carnahan (The Kingdom, Lions for Lambs), both of whom were brought on board to replace J. Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5). Pitt is pretty much the only cast member most people in the audience are going to know by name [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816711/fullcredits#writers]; the rest are more along the lines of "I know that face! What was the thing he was in?"

Pitt plays a UN employee with unnamed - at least in the trailer - special skills. The original script had him as an interviewer hopping from point to point and talking to survivors; the trailer focuses on Pitt's action scenes.

Clearly it's selling itself as a gung-ho guns blazing flick now. Whether or not that's a good thing is up to the audience, who'll get to see the finished product in summer 2013. At one point Pitt and company were talking about turning World War Z into a trilogy in the end-times style of The Walking Dead [http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-en-brad-pitt-20120103,0,4537017.story], but presumably they'll wait and see how the first one takes off before committing themselves to a franchise.

Source: Screenrant [http://screenrant.com/world-war-z-trailer/]

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Am i the only one who thought of Pitt the angel first?
The title of this article really perplexed me.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Wait? They're going to turn WWZ into a generic action flick? I'm not going to call 'RUINED FOREVER' or any of this, since it could still be a good movie, but if it tries to focus on the action it'll won't be a World War Z adaptation in anything other than name.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Seeing Zombies climb each other like fire ants is oddly hilarious.

Also, I'll be glad when movie trailers get over using the BAAAAAAAAW sound effect and go back to using real music.

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
They filmed parts of this in my city! I can't remember why they came all the way over to glasgow but they did and that red-ish sqaure you see in the overhead shots was shut off for like a week or two [ which is really annoying as its a major part of the traffic flow through the centre of town].

OT: Looks sorta daft, the CGI on the zombies looked kinda crappy.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
"Isn't it amazing how England looks in no way like Southern California?"

Replace England with Glasgow.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
The whole thing looks more like Left 4 Dead: The Movie to me than a decent representation of what occurred in the book. I half expected someone to yell out "TANK!" and throw a molotov in the trailer.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
I was actually expecting more nerd-rage and more the-book-was-better people. I'm proud of you Escapist for the lack of knee-jerk reactions.

Either way, it looks fairly generic, but well-done. At least it will appeal to action-movie fans rather than the common misanthropic crowd that watches zombie movies out of some revenge fantasy because they don't fit in with society in real life.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Well, I'll be seeing this just for the Battle of Yonkers, at least they can't screw that up.
Though, if you just replace the zombie horde wave with volcanic eruption/earthquake/tornado it just looks like 2012 all over again. Running from the zombie horde wave, driving from the zombie horde wave, flying from the zombie horde wave, sailing from the zombie horde wave. Yeahh... anything sound familiar?

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
What is with all these games ending in Z? Guess people are trying to lure in the Day Z crowds in.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Awhile back I think I remember reading that both Brad Pitt's and Leonardo DiCaprio's production companies wanted WWZ... now that I've seen the trailer with Pitt I get to speculate who I would have preferred to see it go to.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
I hate this and everything it stands for. The book was superamazballs and this looks like someone shat on the book, set it on fire and filmed the entire thing. Makes me sad since it could be an amazing adaptation.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Seeing Zombies climb each other like fire ants is oddly hilarious.

Also, I'll be glad when movie trailers get over using the BAAAAAAAAW sound effect and go back to using real music.
Actually, the idea of zombie-swarm-pile-up-scales-wall was brought up in Zombie Survival Guide, if I recall. This makes me rather hopeful for this movie. Even if they go actiony (which the trailer might be playing up; that happens), enough details pulled from the source material could save it

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Oh great, another movie with the Inception "BWOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!"

I really hate trailers these days that use that bloody noise.

I mean really, I kinda now miss trailers that used Lux Aeterna all the time, or Don LaFontaine.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
On the one hand this might still be an ok movie. It's interesting to see a zombie thing taking a very large scale war-zone approach to the outbreak rather then just following a few scattered survivors after everything's already gone to shit, and that could be fun enough to make it worth while if they do a good enough job.

On the other hand, they've undeniably missed a massive opportunity to make something much more unique and fascinating. Instead of a traditional movie, they should have made a full on documentary that simply happens to be about events that never took place. It would have been much more in line with the book and much cooler then yet another battle for survival.

I can't help but feel like, if they aren't gonna do that, what's the point of making this at all?