Pizza Hut Makes a Perfume

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Pizza Hut Makes a Perfume

There you are. My luck. My Fate. My pepperoni and double cheese. Eau de Pizza Hut. Unforgettable.

If the smell of a Pizza Hut [http://www.pizzahut.ca] box being opened was a perfume, the restaurant chain asked this summer, what would it be called? The answers were many and varied - "Diabetes Sock Freshener," "NAFTA Results" and "Wilford Brimley's Tears," to name just a few - but they all ultimately led to an even more intriguing and urgent question: Why isn't the smell of a Pizza Hut box being opened a perfume?

So now it is.

Based on the strong response to the original Facebook post, Pizza Hut Canada hired a perfume maker to whip up a scent. "We smelled a range of four or five, my team and I, and we zoomed into one we liked that smelled closest to what we were hoping for," Pizza Hut Marketing Director Beverly D'Cruz explained. "Some of them smelled like cheese and you know how delicious cheese tastes, but it doesn't smell as delicious. The smell of freshly baked bread is one we all loved."

"All we're trying to do is have some fun with our consumers," she continued. "[Marketing] is becoming a two way conversation instead of a one way download. Previously it was TV [ads] and it was just one way. Now it goes both ways and you're listening to people and responding."

Sadly, only 110 bottles of Pizza Hut Perfume were created, and they've all been spoken for. The first 100 people who sent a direct message to the company on Facebook asking for the perfume got one, and the rest were presumably either distributed to company employees or secreted away in a deep, dark corner of Pizza Hut's head office. Could this stuff end up in stores someday? "Who knows what the future has in store?" D'Cruz said.

Hey, it's no worse an idea than the hotdog-stuffed crust, am I right?

Source: The Star [https://www.facebook.com/PizzaHutCanada]

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
"now you can smell like the aftermath of a college frat party" great job Pizza Hut.

Andy Chalk said:
WTF this is a thing? I mean I can kind of see the logic, but really?

OT: what perfume will they come up with next a video-game character?

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Two things.

1. As a pizza hut employee I am obliged to say... WE DID WHAT NOW?

2. "Hotdog-stuffed crust." WE DID THAT TOO?

What is wrong with us?

mechashiva77

Jul 10, 2011
TopazFusion said:
Just wait for the fried chicken version...
Must...resist...obvious joke.

OT: I love Pizza Hut as much as the next fan, but this is ridiculous. I imagine it would smell horrible, and would disappoint a lot of people. I'd be pretty annoyed too if I smelled pizza and there was none. Did they honestly think this product would take off? I know they said they were joking and all, but why invest so much money in producing a perfume for a joke? It's a waste of money and I'd imagine it would piss off a lot of shareholders.

Don't know what you guys are talking about though. A hotdog crust sounds fucking awesome.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
I would gather this is almost the best thing since Cheeseburger flavored Pizza at Ci-Ci's....why doesn't Pizza hut have something like that...hmmm...wait a minute..(*go looks up on internet*).........DAMN YOU MIDDLE EAST!

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/apr/24/business/la-fi-mo-pizza-hut-cheeseburger-20120424

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
My friend worked in a Pizza Hut in London for a bit. The word he used to describe the staff (including, nay, especially the manager) was 'shitheads'. They were all dysfunctional, but maybe things are so different in the US that people actually relish the idea of being mistaken for someone who works there.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
This actually sounds awesome, was it really a thing? I haven't been to a Pizza hut since I was in high school.

Also who is this perfume for? Fat Americans? (Obvious joke)

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Now I do love the smell of freshly cooked pizza, but only when its coming from the pizza. If I took a nice girl on a date and she smelled of pizza the first thing I likely do is offer her a mint.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Me55enger said:
Now you too can smell single and barely employed!
lol, I was taking a mouthful of coffie when I read this..... jerk XD (joking)

Seriously this smell would do one of 2 things, repulse me or make me hungry and wanting a pizza..... wait a sec, that's the plan! New marketing technique, release the stuff around pizza shops to lure customers in.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
As a former Pizza Hut employee I assure you that you do not want to smell like someone who works at Pizza Hut.

I suppose this is an attempt to get a foothold into the notoriously fickle foodophile perfume market?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
If you don't get one, don't be discouraged. get a job as delivery boy and you'll smell like that anyways!

I don't know why anyone would ever want to smell like a pizza, but I'm surprised it exists. I'm surprised it didn't exist sooner.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
You don't need the perfume, just get a job at a pizza restaurant.

I worked as a driver for Papa John's for about three months, and that smell is very hard to remove.

Redlin5 said:
As a former Pizza Hut employee I assure you that you do not want to smell like someone who works at Pizza Hut.

I suppose this is an attempt to get a foothold into the notoriously fickle foodophile perfume market?
This guy knows what's up.