Place you hate to visit in games

Spawny0908

Feb 11, 2009
HANDS DOWN the Valley of Defilement in Demon's Souls! A huge ass swamp where the water poisons you and it just looks gross!

The fucking fade in Dragon Age: Origins gets a close second!

Argonian alchemist

Master-level alchemist
May 5, 2011
GraveeKing said:
That -one- part in every sandbox game where you're put inside a closed building environment and are stuck to cover based shooting - GTA 4 bank level I'm looking at you....
What!? That was the best mission in the whole game! Plus you weren't inside a building, you were in a sub-way station, lots of room to maneuver and you end up outside in the middle of the mission anyway.

You sir, have started a battle of immense immenseness-ness... one you cannot win for 2 reasons...

REASON 1) That level was awesome...

REASON 2) I have a giant robot iguana with laser eyes. You don't wanna mess with blinky now do you...?

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Most of the stuff in Oblivion: Oblivion gates, sewers, caves and ruins. They can be fun, but they can also be *really* onerous.

Then there was the Fade, and to a lesser extent, the deeproads. I'm convinced that Bioware forgot the meaning of 'fun' when making those levels.

Finally: Peragus. All of the aforementioned areas together haven't a patch on that one fucking level.

PAGEToap44

Jul 16, 2008
Some Random Tosser said:
I really REALLY hate Ravenholm. Headcrabs scare me and I'm reluctant to ask for someone to sit with me as my incredibly bratty and annoying sister always asks me for help and I want to set an example. I played through half of Ravenholm by having the game in Windowed Mode with Guile's Theme playing in the background, but when I caught my first glimpse of a Poison Zombie, I was 'screw that' and I turned off the game.
Same, Ravenholm is freaky. Then again it made me all the more relieved when you bump into Father Gregori. That man is a savior.

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
Most underground metro tunnels/sewers in Fallout 3. (They're dark, they're monotonous, and goddamn mole rats. They're like the second-weakest enemy in the game bar Radroaches, but they repulse me on a basic human level. Blegh.) I'd also say Ravenholm, but not because it was particularly scary or anything, I just found it kind of an unpleasant level to get through. Headcrabs jumping out everywhere, wasting precious ammo on fast zombies getting all up in Gordon's business, bit of a maze of buildings and alleyways and streets at one point. Bloody good considering it was never trying to be a horror game, though.

Also, does anybody remember that flooded basement with the plaster Splicers in BioShock? You'd pan the camera, and the mannequins you'd just walked past would be Splicers frozen in ballet poses. They'd move closer and closer each time you turned away. That is a place I hate.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
Jay Parrish said:
Sorry you are correct that mission WAS awesome. It was another one - a museum or something.... God I can't remember it now. Point is - you were stuck inside for 90% of the mission with nothing but cheap grey covered based shooting.
And yeah, I'LL RUMBLE WITH BLINKY WOOHOOO!! BRING IT OONNNN!! I got my explosive cheese at the ready!

Digital insanity

Oct 2, 2010
Vault 108. My name is Gary so that was the creepiest thing i have ever played. also cortana in halo 3. i got lost constantly

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
Oh dear jesus, the Temple of Light on Runescape. That. Was. Torture. What makes me so sad is that I - LOVE - Mirror Puzzles. But I couldn't actually stop to think what to do due to all the fucking Shadows. Those things made a guide nearly a necessity, because you have to spend as little time there as possible.

Also, not a place exactly, but...The bit that PISSES ME OFF TO HELL AND BACK in any replays of Prototype is that bit where your powers are shut off. First time it was just plain terrifying, but every time after it's just boring.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
Blore said:
The_ModeRazor said:
Well, obviously, there's the Fade.

But most of all, them otherfucking (yes, otherfucking) Haunted Mansion in Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines. Place be scary. And a few pieces of flying cutlery and othe kitchen shit should not be enough to half-kill a flippin' vampire. So it was scary, and it could actually kill you very easily with pure luck deciding wheter you un-live, or re-die. Happeh.
I didn't mind that one, except for the elevator and getting lost in the upper levels. What takes the cake for me is when you go through all those tunnels in the sewers to find the Nosferatu clan.
This. Those tunnels and sewers with those pesky monsters were the most frustrating part of the game.

As mentioned previously Oblivion sewer levels and Oblivion gates... they're the reason why I don't bother with the main quest...

Liquidcool

Jun 5, 2010
Skoldpadda said:
I have a paragon-savegame of Mass Effect 2, and I really should have a renegade one by the time Mass Effect 3 comes out, but the goddamn planet scanning is literally the only thing stopping me from replaying. I just can't do it again.
Uh after you finish the game once they give you 50,000 of each mineral and 200,000 credits at the start of any new game. From what I remember anyway...

Quid Plura

Apr 27, 2010
Anything without variation in it. What comes to mind (considering recent games I played)

- Long industrial corridors in Dead Space
- Sewers in any RPG
- Small rooms that require a loading screen to enter and exit (breaks the flow)
- Dark rooms where you can only see darkness or a dark color

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Stillwater or Steelport, at anytime I can be hit by a car or owned in a bad way and die....damn you ME!

Dragonlance88

Jul 27, 2011
The tutorial/first level of any game that I want to replay... unless its super fun or super short. Otherwise I just end up wanting to quit before getting to the good stuff. Also getting "waylaid" by enemies in the original Baldur's Gate, for some reason that always caught me off guard... but man did that game expand my vocabulary!

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
O maestre said:
Worgen said:
sewers, they are almost universally boring
sewers and all the variations... it is boring at best lazy game design at worst... every single frakking action game has them... and no sewer level to date has ever made a positive impact on a gameplay experience.

actually i think the mass effect games are the only popular games not to feature a sewer level....but that may just be the virtue of being in space

oh and planet scanning more than makes up for the lack of sewer levels... some would say that planet scanning is overkill on the tedium scale.
Mass Effect did have some.. kind of.. sewers.. But that wasn't the flaw though. The biggest flaw in Mass Effect 1 was the relentless copy pasting of side-quest areas. Oh look, another derelict Kowloon freighter. Another abandoned mine with the exact layout as the other 10. Another standard outpost. Another bunker. Topped off by boring planets with mountains and cliffs everywhere.

Surprisingly, Mass Effect 2 did away with all of this. Including elevator rides. I suppose mineral scanning is pretty tedious, but it beats the hell out of driving around in the Mako.

Dragonlance88 said:
The tutorial/first level of any game that I want to replay... unless its super fun or super short. Otherwise I just end up wanting to quit before getting to the good stuff. Also getting "waylaid" by enemies in the original Baldur's Gate, for some reason that always caught me off guard... but man did that game expand my vocabulary!
You have been waylaid by enemies, and must defend yourself!

How an adventurer party gets completely surrounded by a pack of dogs and gnolls is beyond me..

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
captaincabbage said:
Worgen said:
sewers, they are almost universally boring
I think I could potentially one-up you on this matter, as my personal choice is the universal "Industrial District".
at least the industrial districts can be open, sewer levels are required to be in small confined spaces that are also usually dark