Planetside 2 Beta (Hopefully) Imminent

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Planetside 2 Beta (Hopefully) Imminent

The MMOFPS beta depends on the outcome of a tech test.

It's been since then [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111512-Planetside-2-Will-Revolutionize-the-FPS-Genre]. If all goes according to plan, regular gamers might be able to jump into the battle soon as part of the game's beta test.

The game still had "[some] bugs to fix," wrote SOE's John Smedley wrote on his Twitter account [https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/222447066876616704], "but tech test will begin in the next 2 days followed by beta ( assuming all goes ok)."

There's no word on how long the tech test will last, or what exactly the particular timeline is for beginning the beta after the test hopefully succeeds. But for Planetside aficionados or MMO fans wanting something other than the standard RPG, this should be a welcome piece of news.

If you're unfamiliar with the Planetside MMOFPS franchise, take a trip to the past [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents/563-Victory-at-Planetside] with The Escapist's triumphant victory over the dogs at BoingBoing and RPS.

Source: @J_Smedley [https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/222447066876616704] on Twitter

CowboyfromHell666

Jan 14, 2010
Nice! :D I was lucky enough to get a beta key from Matt Higby on Twitter. I hope the tech test goes well, so beta can come soon, which means we all get to play it soon. From what I can tell, they have done a lot in the past year, so that should be promising enough.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
I haven't been paying attention to this cause its an MMO but it does sound pretty awesome. Did anyone play the first one and was there much grind in it cause that is what puts me off MMO's.

joeman098

Jun 18, 2007
I went out and bought the pc gamer mag with the beta code and i got one off twitter DO WANT PS2 NOW!

Hazzaslagga

Sep 18, 2009
It's about time. I think the folks at /vg/ were on the verge of tears considering how many 'soons' there were. Also is there going to be a PS2 escapist group/outfit?

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Gonna kill me some rebel scum the second they open the beta, had my key in for a while.

And... y'know... look for bugs.
And beta stuff...

Mostly kill rebel scum.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
Ah planetside 2, I was fortunate to get a beta code off their twitter when they were handing them out like candy, now I just need to get my new computer and all will be golden.

getoffmycloud said:
I haven't been paying attention to this cause its an MMO but it does sound pretty awesome. Did anyone play the first one and was there much grind in it cause that is what puts me off MMO's.
It's pretty much a massive scale form of any other mutliplayer fps out there at the moment, you take part in capturing outposts and resources from the two other factions in a persistent battlefield across three continent sized maps. I suggest going to look at totalbiscuit's livestream footage he recorded at E3 of planetside 2 if you want to see some beta gameplay and judge for yourself if the game is "grindy".

LordReaver

Jul 13, 2010
getoffmycloud said:
PlanetSide is an MMO, but it is not an MMORPG. Grinding is a non existent term here as level is arbitrary. It comes down to your ability to kill the enemy before they kill you, and to capture territory. There is just one catch, there are going to be 1332 actual people on the same map trying to stop you!

You can kill by foot, you can kill by tank, and/or gunship. However you choose, you will experience epic battle that will change your life.

Plunkies

Oct 31, 2007
The first outside players will get in tomorrow, officially starting the closed beta/beta-like phase.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
LordReaver said:
getoffmycloud said:
PlanetSide is an MMO, but it is not an MMORPG. Grinding is a non existent term here as level is arbitrary. It comes down to your ability to kill the enemy before they kill you, and to capture territory. There is just one catch, there are going to be 1332 actual people on the same map trying to stop you!

You can kill by foot, you can kill by tank, and/or gunship. However you choose, you will experience epic battle that will change your life.
So its like battlefield but with loads more players?

LordReaver

Jul 13, 2010
getoffmycloud said:
LordReaver said:
getoffmycloud said:

So its like battlefield but with loads more players?
It would be the closest analog. However, it's rather impossible to actually compare, as there are literally no other games that come even close to it, except for the original PlanetSide. I highly recommend checking it out, especially since it's going to be free to play (and no, they absolutely will not be selling power).