PlanetSide 2 on PS4 Visuals Equivalent to "Ultra" Settings on PC

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
PlanetSide 2 on PS4 Visuals Equivalent to "Ultra" Settings on PC

PlanetSide 2 creative director, Matt Higby, reveals that turning up the PC version to "Ultra" is how the game will look on PS4.

PlayStation 4 players planning to pick up free-to-play shooter PlanetSide 2 will be pleased to know that it's going to look amazing on consoles. Speaking to GameZone [http://www.gamezone.com/news/2013/12/26/planetside-2-graphics-on-ps4-equivalent-to-ultra-settings-on-pc-says-creative-director], creative director Matt Higby reveals that if you "turn up" the game on PC to "Ultra," that's how it will look on the PS4.

The PS4 version will be nearly identical to the PC version, with the exception of the User Interface...If you turned up your PC version to Ultra, that's how it's going to look on PS4

Higby also confirms that the DualShock 4's touchpad will be used to navigate the shooter's User Interface (UI) to make it more seamless and "PC-like." Unfortunately, Higby didn't confirm what resolution the Ultra-quality visuals on the PS4 will run at, which seems to be a big deal these days to shooter fans.

Developed by Sony Online Entertainment, PlanetSide 2 is a F2P MMOFPS released for PCs in 2012, and will make its way to the PS4 at a still unspecified date next year.

For more on PlanetSide 2, it has also been confirmed back in August that PC and PS4 cross-platform <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126632-PlanetSide-2-Splits-PS4-and-PC-Players
">play won't be possible due to the "update cadence."

Source: GameZone [http://www.gamezone.com/news/2013/12/26/planetside-2-graphics-on-ps4-equivalent-to-ultra-settings-on-pc-says-creative-director]

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
I know that this thread is going to devolve due to the words "PC" and "console" being used in comparison to each other, but I'm looking forward to this. I played for a bit on my PC, but my friends don't have PCs capable of running it, so the console version will let me group up with people I know. PS4 version looking good is just icing on the cake.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I'm sorry what?

Okay, ultra settings on the PS4 of a game that still runs kind of crappy on good gaming PCs?

Yeah, good luck Sony, because this will go one of two ways:
-30fps(one an MMO shooter is basically unacceptable)
-Upscaled resolution(which is a fucking joke, consoles can finally do 1080p natively, and if they upscale, that just shows how weak the systems still are)

Those are the only ways that this will happen, and unless Sony are fucking wizards capable of manipulating space and time(at which, Chris Roberts would be interested in contacting them) this will not be as good as the PC version in terms of fidelity.

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
Planetside 2's visuals aren't that taxing, so this isn't a huge surprise. The issue is the netcode and processing so many players and physics. It's one of the few games where your CPU is more important than your GPU.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
And at what resolution and framerate might that be? Because I can't really see it being 1080p/60fps.

Isn't the PC version incredibly demanding?

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Cool, I look forward to playing this on my PS4. Hopefully they can pull this off, which will show that consoles are still great gaming platforms.

Apr 28, 2008
Hazy992 said:
And at what resolution and framerate might that be? Because I can't really see it being 1080p/60fps.

Last time I tried it it ran like shit on low settings on my PC which exceeded the recommended specs. To be fair this was a year or so ago, but still. Wasn't optimized too well. Here's hoping it's better on the PS4.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Haha, this was so predictable, "yeah, but it will only be at 30FPS" or "yeah, but at what res?" ... gives a fuck?

If you want teh uber 1337 stuffs and are really arsed about 60FPS or dat res you would get a PC but this is a story about PS4 looking the same as PC. Not it is equal to a pc running the game, it will just look as pretty as.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
I'll believe that when I see it, because that's impossible.

Unless they rebuilt the entire game from the ground up code by code, never making a mistake, it's simply impossible to push that kind of performance out of that hardware. Not without sacrificing something.

The biggest problem with Planetside 2 is that the program doesn't run efficiently on multiple cores, they would have to reprogram the whole thing for it to use all the cores properly.

The PS4 has 8 cores running at 1.6 Ghz and 1,152 parrallel "gpu" cores with a peak of 1.84 TFLOPS and 8GB GDDR5 memory. A high end PC has 6-8 cores running at 3-3.5 GHZ and 1,536-3,072 Parralel "gpu" cores with a peak of 3.2-6.4 TFLOPS and 4-8GBs of GDDR5 memory and an additional 8-16 GBs of DDR3.

People with specs that good and higher are still getting frame-rate spikes and generally low performance in high population battles on Ultra.

omega 616 said:
Haha, this was so predictable, "yeah, but it will only be at 30FPS" or "yeah, but at what res?" ... gives a fuck?

If you want teh uber 1337 stuffs and are really arsed about 60FPS or dat res you would get a PC but this is a story about PS4 looking the same as PC. Not it is equal to a pc running the game, it will just look as pretty as.
That's the point, it won't look "the same" it won't look "as pretty as" if it runs the game at 800x640 resolution.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I can barely go above medium without dropping down to unacceptable FPS in large battles at 1920x1200, and this is on a machine that's got well over 50% more GPU power and an i7 at double the PS4's clock, as well as double the RAM. Ultra on a PS4? I'm not really of the PC gaming master race, though I am primarily a PC gamer. I mean, I'm impure in that I also game on consoles and handhelds, and I'm definitely getting a PS4 eventually, but fuck me if that statement isn't pure bullshit.

Sure, I've no doubt they can make it look good. The PS4 does have the power to do so. But it does not have the power to match the retarded requirements of running Planetside 2 on ultra. Not even close.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Irridium said:
Hazy992 said:

Last time I tried it it ran like shit on low settings on my PC which exceeded the recommended specs. To be fair this was a year or so ago, but still. Wasn't optimized too well. Here's hoping it's better on the PS4.
Optimization was really bad at one point, Totalbiscuit said in his WTF is that he was having FPS problems and he has dual Geforce Titans so.

omega 616 said:

That is people's point, it won't look the same if the PS4 or any other machine is running at at a lesser resolution and frame rate hence this guy at Sony is talking out his butt.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
That's nice I guess.
Unfortunately, looking as good as the PC version of the same game I played a year ago isn't really a strong selling point, to me at least.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Nice. Now can I be to do that on my PC please? Or at least get it to the point where I can go above Low settings? At least I don't have to turn down render quality anymore. Yay?

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
So what they are saying is that the "ultra" setting for planetside 2 is going to look mediocre? How about making it the regular setting and put some effort into making a setting that will actually deserve the term "ultra".

gunny1993

Jun 26, 2012
I could believe this, with a GTX 670 and Max settings I hit around 80-90 FPS, slightly less in a large fight, If they've done a decent job then I could believe the smaller overhead on consoles could make up the difference, wouldn't be suprised if they nerfed AA though.

gunny1993

Jun 26, 2012
Denamic said:
I can barely go above medium without dropping down to unacceptable FPS in large battles at 1920x1200, and this is on a machine that's got well over 50% more GPU power and an i7 at double the PS4's clock, as well as double the RAM. Ultra on a PS4? I'm not really of the PC gaming master race, though I am primarily a PC gamer. I mean, I'm impure in that I also game on consoles and handhelds, and I'm definitely getting a PS4 eventually, but fuck me if that statement isn't pure bullshit.

Sure, I've no doubt they can make it look good. The PS4 does have the power to do so. But it does not have the power to match the retarded requirements of running Planetside 2 on ultra. Not even close.
When did you last play? Was it before the patch that increased the performance close to 60% across the board (rhetorical question), I play maxed out with an i5 @ 4.6 and a gtx 670 and never drop below 50-60)

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
gunny1993 said:
Denamic said:

When did you last play? Was it before the patch that increased the performance close to 60% across the board (rhetorical question), I play maxed out with an i5 @ 4.6 and a gtx 670 and never drop below 50-60)
Was months ago. Just grew tired of playing at 30 FPS with stutter. Just sucked the fun out of everything.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
I honestly didn't have any issues playing Planetside 2, but that game doesn't have very impressive graphics anyway. The majority of the issue is CPU requirements and a lot of that is because the code isn't very multithreaded. I'm using a i5 2500K overclocked to 4.4Ghz and 2x Radeon 7950 and I was getting well over 100 fps with everything enabled. I'm sure they'll be able to tweak the code to run on a 1.6Ghz 4xPiledriver core processor with a Radeon 7850 (which is basically what the PS4 is). It might be at 720p or maybe 1080p but it's not going to take a miracle.