PlanetSide 2 Won't Hit the PlayStation 4 Until 2014

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
PlanetSide 2 Won't Hit the PlayStation 4 Until 2014

Today, the president of Sony Online Entertainment revealed that PlanetSide 2 will be delayed until 2014.

Shortly before this summer's Electronic Entertainment Expo, Sony Online Entertainment revealed that DC Universe Online and PlanetSide 2, two of the company's most popular MMOs, would be heading to the PlayStation 4. Unfortunately, only one of these titles will be ready next month.

In an interview with Bloomberg TV, John Smedley, the president of Sony Online Entertainment, confirmed that PlanetSide 2 will miss the PS4's November 15th launch. Smedley was understandably vague about when the game would actually hit the market, but did say that gamers will have to wait until 2014.

"We're actually helping the Sony PlayStation 4 launch on November 15 by having our free-to-play game, DC Universe Online, actually come to the PlayStation 4 for its launch," Smedley said. "And we're going to be following up that in early next year with our next game, PlanetSide 2, for the PS4."

The fact that PlanetSide 2 is free and already has an existing fan base should help it find a foothold in a genre that'll soon become populated with games like Destiny and Titanfall. But Smedley understands that free-to-play titles often need some extra oomph if they want earn enough money to stay alive. "The game literally has to be the best," he explains. "If you want people to pay for it, you better give them something amazing, because they can play for free as much as they want. So you have to do something amazing to earn their money."

Source: GameSpot [http://www.bloomberg.com/video/online-gaming-beginning-to-explode-sony-s-smedley-o_ckeGHtS6OR6GkQmXYkLg.html]

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I have mixed feelings about PlanetSide 2. It's interesting yes, but the things you pay for don't feel or look much different from one another. Being part of a large scale effort is exciting in itself, but I'd like more options to customize my character other than just looks. There is abit of a grind to even obtain the regular power ups. Still it's a decent shooter that will get some attention from the PS4 owners. Now that I think about it; it's an upgraded DUST514

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Dat performance is what stopped me from playing. Also, playing the game just felt pointless. No one really won anything, we we're just fighting over things that could be overtaken easily.

If they refined it, they could have had a masterpiece on their hands.

Valok

Nov 17, 2010
I have hit BR 80 I think 2 months ago and I decided to stop, reason? Complete lack of metagame.

As it was already said, no one "wins" anything, that game can basically be described as a massive team/conquest deathmatch and nothing else. They really, really, need to add more mechanics similar to the way it was on Planetside 1..

SUPA FRANKY said:
Dat performance is what stopped me from playing. Also, playing the game just felt pointless. No one really won anything, we we're just fighting over things that could be overtaken easily.

If they refined it, they could have had a masterpiece on their hands.
They seem to have been improving the performance a lot lately, actually most of the development right now is completely focused in increasing the FPS. A friend of mine said the last patch increased his performance by ~40%.
https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/omfg-phase-1-to-test.155029/

The lack of a proper metagame is still a major problem though. I hope by the time the Ps4 release hits they will have more meaningful mechanics ready.

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
I just wish they'd find a more meaningful way to keep the team balanced. Every time there's a Vanu Free Cert Hour (some people call them "Alerts"), everyone in the other two factions just flee to other continents because there's no point in going up against the 70%+ pop advantage.

A victory condition would be nice too, outside of regular alerts. It'd be nice if warpgating the other two factions gave you a "victory" and reset the map, rather than just being a waiting game until server pop shifts back in the losing faction's favor. Alerts are a good start, but they're too often won by default, especially in cases of facility alerts, where the vanu can start the alert with 5/7 of the needed facilities and 60% of players on the server.

Between the population imbalance and the lack of victory conditions, most people in NC or TR would rather sit on hills with AV MANA turrets than try to take or defend territory, because anything you take or lose will just be reverted by ghost cappers in the wee hours of the morning. The game is doing far too good a job at conveying the feeling of an endless, pointless war.