Plans for the Covid 19 Lockdown

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
WFH. And Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order for gaming, Season 3 of Ozark on Neflix.

A revolution may be about to happen. Even Tucker Carlson talked about it. How much are we finding out can be done well remotely? My daughter is finishing her Masters in Business online just fine. What will that do to fuel use, carbon footprints, road congestion, wear and tear on cars, high housing costs in concentrated spaces and more? My fingers are crossed that things really change due to this thing.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Baffle2 said:
I was nice to a person. Regretting it.
I was very mean to someone 40 years ago. I still regret that. I have to think escaping the bad fallout of your having with having been nice to this person does not last too long (g-d help you, did you let this person move in with you???! You will not suffer 40 years but man... that would be difficult. I have something like that trying to happen in my life).

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I started thinking about the irony of all our modern conveniences in light of this COVID-19 global shutdown. Funny how when we?re literally not supposed to leave our homes (a plight you?d imagine shopping online, face-timing, streaming services and all the trappings of first-world decadence the internet has afforded us would thrive in,) everyone is stir-crazy and just wants to go out again. I (for one and speaking anecdotally for many) can?t wait to be able to do something not ?from home? again. I guess it?s human nature to want what you can?t have, grass always being greener n?all;; we?re petty creatures that way. I guess we?re all just hipsters in the end?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Grouchy Imp said:
2019 parent: "Stop playing those silly games and go outside!"

2020 parent: "Stay inside and play your damn Xbox!"

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
Hey guys! hope everyone is keeping well in all this. I'm just on here to unload a little off my mind. Is anyone else starting to get a bit scared by all this?
I'm in the USA, the Bay Area of California and when this all started I must admit that I was more positive and many a meme of heading to the Winchester for a nice cold pint, whilst waiting for all this to blow over was exchanged with friends.

Now I'm starting to stress about money and what happens when my savings run out? as it seems this is probably going to last all year.
I know in the uk they're apparently giving people 80% of their wage to people for the next few months (go ahead and correct me on that if I'm wrong fellow brits). Here we are supposed to be getting a $1200 one off cheque/payment which whilst is better than a kick in the balls, is a one off that may as well be sent to my landlady as that's all I'll be doing with it.
I guess I should look for a job but everything is closed here and I remember the last time I was unemployed a couple years ago, I got a lot of 'we feel you're overqualified and won't hang about' replies.
I'm staying calm but these thoughts are more and more playing up in the back of my head.

Anyhow on to the true topic of this thread! I've been keeping preoccupied by watching stuff on youtube, reading, writing some short stories, talking to friends back home over messenger. I can't play any games as my laptop is having issues with the wifi (I suspect my landladies son blocked me from it) and my girlfriends Mac laptop isn't powerful enough to run much. I tried running space hulk on it and it got really hot really fast so shut it down. Kinda sucks and it makes me wish I'd bought a console at some point so I could chat to people online whilst having fun, but it does mean I'm staying productive with writing. Lastly I've been dabbling in the occasional drink, taking edibles and of course watching tiger king on Netflix, which is perhaps the most American thing I have ever seen!!

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
EvilRoy said:
dscross said:
aegix drakan said:
dscross said:
You'll miss academia after a few years of not doing it.
Going on 2 years out of that life and I don't miss it one freakin' bit.

I don't miss the insane stress of exams, I don't miss having assignments up the wazoo, I don't miss having to sit in a lecture hall and try not to daydream while the teacher either drones on and on in a boring or worse just churns out content so fast that I don't have time to properly absorb the information before writing it down.

And ever since landing my dream job, I have probably never been more content. Aside from maaaaybe CEGEP, when my friends and I still hung out VERY often for overnight gaming parties.

So...No. I don't miss school. Especially not University. 7 years of stress will kind of turn you off of something.
Takes longer than that. 2 years is a drop in the ocean. Give it a few more years.
Every now and then I miss school and grad research. Then I look at all the money I have from working in the private sector and I'm pretty okay with my lot in life.
There's something nice about learning full time though, especially if it's a subject you get epiphanies from. After 10 years or so of working full time you know how to do your job and even the most fulfilling jobs lose their shine, especially if you are working 8 hours or more a day like most people. Or alternatively, other people keep getting promoted and their job gets more stressful as they have more responsibility put on their shoulders.

School and University are also better for meeting long term friends, in my experience. Even though you spend nearly every day with your colleagues, I never got the same sense of comradery from work.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
dscross said:
School and University are also better for meeting long term friends, in my experience. Even though you spend nearly every day with your colleagues, I never got the same sense of comradery from work.
In my experience, school yes, uni, no. In uni, I knew some people, but we were all doing different units so didn't interact as reguarly as in school or at work.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Hawki said:
dscross said:
In my experience, school yes, uni, no. In uni, I knew some people, but we were all doing different units so didn't interact as regularly as in school or at work.
Many of my uni friends were the people I lived with in student accommodation or in my building rather than on my course, though I did have a few on my course as well. I've kept a lot of those friends to this day, for around 15 years.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I live in M?xico, I get jack shit as far as government aid goes, so for me there'll be no lockdown, I'll just continue to work and only stop if I happen to get sick, in which case I do have medical insurance and I'm in fairly good health so I can only hope I'll be fine if that is the case, but other than that life just goes on as normal, which is to say work, go home play video-games & watch movies, play tabletop RPGs on weekends (Through Fantasy Grounds since it's not recommended to play in person), and that's it, sure it's inconvenient that we can't play CoC or D&D in person for the moment but so far it's not affecting me yet, I have a feeling that's not going to last long though, mainly because the company that I work for is in panic.

And well if all goes wrong, suicide is always an option I guess.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Kaleion said:
I live in M?xico, I get jack shit as far as government aid goes, so for me there'll be no lockdown, I'll just continue to work and only stop if I happen to get sick, in which case I do have medical insurance and I'm in fairly good health so I can only hope I'll be fine if that is the case, but other than that life just goes on as normal, which is to say work, go home play video-games & watch movies, play tabletop RPGs on weekends (Through Fantasy Grounds since it's not recommended to play in person), and that's it, sure it's inconvenient that we can't play CoC or D&D in person for the moment but so far it's not affecting me yet, I have a feeling that's not going to last long though, mainly because the company that I work for is in panic.

And well if all goes wrong, suicide is always an option I guess.
You are only in semi lockdown at the moment though. No doubt there will be stricter enforcement to come as the cases rise. It'll be alright. The government will need to borrow very large amounts to give citizens funding and then go into recession like the rest of us. At the end of the day, money is a made-up human thing. When everyone on the planet is in desperate need they'll magically find the money.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Well, I'm still working. I teach at a university and my job is in full flow as education hasn't stopped. Even worse seeing as I am now relatively senior and have a metric fuckton of administrative duties on top of teaching, I've got lots of additional work sorting out changes required to cope with Coronavirus. Oh man, assessment has become a massive, massive headache.

Also, I'm really annoyed because my laptop just installed a Windows update that crippled the touchpad gesture functions so all it will do is move the cursor, and I cannot for the life of me get them back despite several hours of reinstalling drivers and rebooting, reverting, and ever more arcane tricks.

Fucking updates. I start to wonder whether we actually own our computers any more, considering virtually every **** piece of software spends it's time with its fingers in your memory kicking off your information to corporate HQ and deciding it's going to re-install itself at its own pleasure rather than yours. Want to quickly check something? No, you'll have to wait 15 minutes because the CPU and hard disk is busy processing whatever last meaningless piece of wank some software company felt like sticking on your computer without your say-so and which you never use.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
dscross said:
At the end of the day, money is a made-up human thing. When everyone on the planet is in desperate need they'll magically find the money.
Ehh..no. Governments borrowing huge amounts of money and drowning in debt has real risk. Sure it's 'made up' but print too much of it and people's money becomes worthless creating conditions like those of the Weimar or any contemporary banana republic. Food riots due to supply scarcity ie currency not being worth shit, debilitating poverty, collapse of the law state, violence and a potential Hitler isn't exactly a precedent one wants to follow.

Politicians don't give a shit. They only care about the next election. Or staying in power for as long as possible while their population suffers. Similarly countries also only care about their own interests often at the detriment of those that are weaker. Sad thing but a country that ruins it's finances also ruins it's future.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Agema said:
Well, I'm still working. I teach at a university and my job is in full flow as education hasn't stopped. Even worse seeing as I am now relatively senior and have a metric fuckton of administrative duties on top of teaching, I've got lots of additional work sorting out changes required to cope with Coronavirus. Oh man, assessment has become a massive, massive headache.

Also, I'm really annoyed because my laptop just installed a Windows update that crippled the touchpad gesture functions so all it will do is move the cursor, and I cannot for the life of me get them back despite several hours of reinstalling drivers and rebooting, reverting, and ever more arcane tricks.

Fucking updates. I start to wonder whether we actually own our computers any more, considering virtually every **** piece of software spends it's time with its fingers in your memory kicking off your information to corporate HQ and deciding it's going to re-install itself at its own pleasure rather than yours. Want to quickly check something? No, you'll have to wait 15 minutes because the CPU and hard disk is busy processing whatever last meaningless piece of wank some software company felt like sticking on your computer without your say-so and which you never use.
Yeah no, that's a problem with the way your environment is configured. I've worked in IT for well over a decade and never once has a corporate device I've been in contact with been able to download and run updates from anything other than the organization's SCCM server, pre-packaged and approved by like half a dozen different software developers and security teams. If only because bog standard user accounts don't have the privileges to run software executables.

Unless of course this is a personal device, in which case just turn the updates off.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
Lots of applying for jobs, since I was *preemptively* laid-off, along with a significant portion of their other workers, despite doing work that could easily be done remotely, and before the company had experienced any particular hardship.

Upside: Due to the nature of my work, I can work at a new employer on a remote-to-start basis... assuming that anyone's hiring.