Plans for the Covid 19 Lockdown

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
SSo most of the USA is on lockdown. Places are still open here and there, kids still running around walmart like animals (making the school closures pointless).

Now with at least two to three weeks on our hands, what are your plans?

Mine are:

5 or 6 books.
Marithon almost all of the Godzilla movies (got all but 3 or 4 of them give or take)
Painting some D&D minitures and finishing some Warhammer Storm Cast Eternals.
Gardening.
2 Hours of Walking around the block.
Getting Tax Advice from my parakeets

What about you guys

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
They shut down my gym!!! :'(

As an office worker, my work life is only slightly disrupted as I'm working from home for the foreseeable future. I'll likely do what I've always done and shun myself from the world and play vidja games (Dead by Daylight and God of War primarily).

I also have a cheap elliptical downstairs so I can even keep my workout schedule. I have a weight bench I never setup as well so if I set that up, I could do most of my gym stuff here at home...

I'm hoping Spring shows up soon too. I have a number of tree/bush stumps I cut down last year and I'd like to hack the stumps down if they're dead now. I also have a fire pit but the old owners cheaped out and didn't install it right (weeds grow in the pit because they don't have anything but dirt under the pit). So I'd like to dig out the pit and put in the proper paving stone setup under the pit so I can use the thing without having to weed whack the damn thing every other week...

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I've got a backlog of games to dive into, but more productively I figure this is as good a chance as I'm going to get to dive into some of the skills literature I grabbed via Humble Bundle's User Experience and Business Intelligence bundles.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
They better give us 1000 each every month until this blows over. I really think this is going to last until the end of the year.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Ive got a massive backlog of games to get through, so I guess that will entertain me for a while. Im also sure my girlfriend will drag me over to watch X TV show or Y movie, so I will hardly be bored.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I'm on day 2 of my 14 day quarantine as a 'just in case' due to mild flu symptoms. It's gonna be non-stop cleaning and lazing about for the first few days, then more cleaning and tons of Animal Crossing when it comes out.
Though, my province just called a state of emergency, so I'm not sure what's gonna happen now. Hopefully I can go back to work afterwards, but I'm not sure if a hardware store is gonna be one of the "essentials" that stays open like grocery stores would in the case of a full lock down

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I'm in the food distribution, which is obviously going to continue since people still need to eat, so still on the job, albeit from home. Which does have some bennies. Like putting on music I actually like. Snack time whenever I want. comfy couch > office chair. No commute. Downside is I'm now stuck with the same dinky laptop all my colleagues use instead of the beastly workstation I have at the office. Being bottlenecked by your equipment suuuuuucks.

Anyway, got lots of extra free time now. I got Doom Eternal slated for the weekend, and a whole backlog to chew through, so I'm not out of entertainment any time soon. Do some spring cleaning. And wash my car. Weather's nice, it really needs a good scrubdown and I actually have time for it now. Also reintroduce regular bass playing practice into my routine.

Girlfriend won't be working at all for the time being. Way too much of a health risk. Basically moved in until things cool down, cuz she doesn't want to sit at home alone. Already laid claim to my Switch. And my fridge. But nice to have the company. Never had a partner actually live with me tho. Feels like that's going to be a bit of a test. First thing is breaking it to her that I don't want her to cook.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
My culinary school is on a break - they still want us to come back next week, and yeah good luck with that. Outside of that I have 40k models to assemble and paint, and I'm taking this time to get my Switch set up. I got it for Xmas and its just been gathering dust since, 'cause its a Switch. So I'll see what's what with this.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
trap everyone inside and make them listen to my trip hop albums till they kill themselves so's I can sell their meat in place of supermarkets. virus free meat of course I guess. while maybe trying out heroin from sheer boredom. virus free heroin! I hope

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Most companies are going to see that working from home would actually be beneficially for them and the worker.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Marik2 said:
Most companies are going to see that working from home would actually be beneficially for them and the worker.
Nah. Maybe for misanthropes, or people with very self-contained jobs. But in my experience, there's no beating being able to walk down the hall to somebody's office to ask them a question for actually getting response, help, or collaboration in general. Working from home is a good option to have when people have personal circumstances that require them to do so temporarily, but in person always beats online for any kind of human interaction, for efficacy.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
As far as my plans go, it's mostly sitting about in a stew trying to stay positive about my job search amidst officials saying we're headed into another Great Depression. Mostly, that looks like watching TV while ignoring my late homework. I'd like to be able to focus myself on reading. I've finished 2 books, and I have 25ish more sitting around back at my apartment, when I get back to it next week.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
My boss is taking the month off cuz he never used his time off. So I get to sit all day in the office doing whatever I want. Gonna read lots of books while getting paid. Gonna do some future job searching and learn new skills. I'm actually happy about this quarantine. Gas is cheap, no huge crowds, and less pollution. When the virus dies down, the economy will shoot right back up. We were already expecting some kind of recession, so this isn't too bad. Most people needed to take a break from a busy society, so let them enjoy some alone time. I always turn a negative situation into a positive opportunity.

Nov 28, 2007
I'm in a county with a shelter-in-place policy, so I've been going to work, then coming home and surfing the Internet/playing videogames/watching TV. So...not much has really changed for me.

Oct 12, 2011
I have a number of books I've meaning to get to. Also have quite a few DvD's I haven't watched in quite some time. Looks like it's time to binge-watch Babylon 5. :D

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Honestly, I'd love to be playing video games(I started Divinity Original Sin 2 and I'm still trying to finish Sekiro) or catching up on my streaming shows, but me and the wife are still going to work. Well, she's working from home and I'm going to work for now(I was just issued a laptop so I suspect I'll be working remotely soon as well).

Unfortunately, My kids Daycare center is closed until at least April(and likely much longer) so we're stuck taking care of a 2 year old pretty much non-stop for the forseeable future. Which is very non-conductive to playing video games until after she goes to bed because she doesn't stop while she's awake and there's nowhere we can take her right now except maybe the park to run the energy out of her.It's also not fun that she doesn't seem to understand the concept of "Mom is working", only "Mom is home", so tantrums galore when Mom can't play with her all the time she wants it. Me being there doesn't even factor into this equation half the time, because only Mom will do.

I guess I shouldn't complain because at least we can take care of her and still work our jobs. That's more then a lot of people have right now. It's just my ability to play games pretty much falls to nothing when she's at home and awake so I will be very happy when she can go back to daycare....someday....hopefully soon. She'll get to play with her friends again and we'll be able to spend more then a few hours not corralling a toddler with poor impulse control and constant need for attention.

I'm also kinda bummed since I had plans to take a vacation in Greece in May and it looks like I'm gonna be out that money at very least for airfare(which is by far the most expensive part so far). The chances of this shit clearing up by then are looking increasingly bleak. I haven't canceled yet but honestly it feels like a matter of time.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Being one of the expendable broom monkey caste, I don't get to benefit from lockdown and working from home is not an option. My sorry ass has to keep on finding bodily fluids to clean while people around me are catching up on their Netflix and Minecraft.

On top of that, the Trumpbux given to the quarantined is literally going to be more than I earn in an equivalent time actually risking my health.

Ain't it great to be me? :(

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
davidmc1158 said:
I have a number of books I've meaning to get to. Also have quite a few DvD's I haven't watched in quite some time. Looks like it's time to binge-watch Babylon 5. :D
I actually have been thinking of rewatching B5. The main issue is digging out DVDs. And a DVD player. Because we don't use any of that stuff for quite a few years.

Anyway. about to start Witcher 3 replay. That'll be 14 days (I have kids so most of the time will be spent looking after them.)

Mar 30, 2010
Work from home as best I can. Play Xbox. Exercise. Read. Binge on Netflix.

So other than working from home pretty much business as usual.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I am able to remote to my workstation, so I'm still working. My health puts me at significant risk from a pulmonary disaster like 19, so I'm home for the foreseeable future. Not too bad so far... but I'd rather be at the office- I like to keep job and home more separate.